Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Digital editing software?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital editing software?
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone shed some light on digital editing? I'm looking for a information on a good digital video camera and also what editing software is available.

Have any of you done video editing and what software have you used?

Just like anyone else, I'm trying not to spend a lot of money. OK...I know more money equals better quality, but I'm not interested in competing with Hollywoood - just producing some instructional tapes for a bunch of signfolks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Gariepy   Email Peter Gariepy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtually all video camera's come with some sort of video editing software now. If this is your first time out playing with video editing software just about any of the ones you get free will work.

Microsoft also has a free video editor - its called Windows Movie Maker. Download it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

Although not "feature-rich" it does do most everything most people need.

As to "top-of-the-line" stuff then check out Macromedia Director.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/director/?promoid=BINQ

Hope that helps!

Peter

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Posts: 100 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some cool editing programs out there, but it sounds like Windows Movie Maker would probably be more than enough for what you want to do.

I will be teaching a Multimedia Design class this fall, with one of the programs being Sony Vegas- (you can download a 30 day trial.) It is unbelievable some of the stuff it can do, as well as being relatively easy to operate.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the higher end,,,
Adobe and Canapus has some good stuff too.
Free trials too.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJ Duvall
Visitor
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJ Duvall   Author's Homepage   Email TJ Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avid also makes some very good programs.
And iMovie is a very easy to use program as well.

--------------------
TJ Duvall
Diamond State Graphics, Inc.

New Castle, DE 19720

Posts: 396 | From: New Castle,Delaware | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, I've played around with Ulead's Video Studio Basic 6- it was a freebee with a computer magazine last year, and I've found it very easy to learn- just drag & drop avi/mpg files into a timeline, add music or sound, start & stop frames where you want, then run the lot as one file.

I only used it to join up bits I'd filmed using the movie mode on the digital camera, and it was pretty intuitive. I don't thinh I looked at the help files or pdf book.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Phipps
Visitor
Member # 3617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Phipps         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve used most of the programs listed above and they will all do the job. Another nice, inexpensive, editor comes with Roxio Easy Media Creator. Easy to capture, edit, assemble, render and burn to DVD. Learning curve is not bad either.

--------------------
Pat Phipps
Custom Trophy & Design
Glenn Dale. MD
______________________ _
"A Man Don't Learn A Lesson Less It Costs Him Blood or Money "

Posts: 78 | From: Glenn Dale, Maryland | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you for the help. Now I have a case of "information overload" and the solution now seems worse than the problem. I'll sort through all that you've given me and hope to make a few things come together.

Also, thanks to Brian Briskie for the email and all the help you gave.

Thanks are in order to Brian also for a great meal we enjoyed in Columbus last month. It was quite a picture. There were six of us in this really nice Italian restaurant and I was surrounded by Yankees. There were Italians, Greeks, various other flavors and one Texas Redneck. It was easy to see who stood out like a sore thumb. But they bought my dinner, so it all worked out great.

Everywhere I go I bring back a luggage full of great stories and memories. Now, tell me, in what other profession can you get a bunch of folks together from across the country and everyone gets along? Well, at least for a few days anyway.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray

That is what I am doing right now in this module at College....Video and Audio Editing!!!

Adobe Premiere 1.5 is great for both as you can import you clip and cut and edit parts of the footage by cut/copy/ drag and drop items in the right sequences..or delete areas of noise or stail air/spaces and pictures.....

Make sure your frame pure second ratio is the same 30 fps

Work with 48kHz.

Import all your project files in a different folder (Bin)
and save the overall files fully as any editing you do will not save your first copies.

Lots of icons but crap and clip is most of the software.

Sorry one other thing!
This program is heavy in wheight and needs lots of memory. as well as bus speed in order to flow smooth.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double Bubble Post!

[ July 06, 2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Deveau ]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, I have Pinnacle Studio Plus version 9 purchased at Frey's around Christmas for about $140. It handles both video and stills, includes green screen and provides for voice over. It's a very nice program. Never having used the other programs, I can't tell you if Studio is better or worse than any of the others mentioned above. Vic G

--------------------
Victor Georgiou
Danville, CA , USA

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!