Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Spelling? Is it just me? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spelling? Is it just me?
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this will probably set of a fire storm of protest......... [Bash] BUT!
Why is it that there are some here, that never seem to check their spelling, or don't seem to know the use of proper grammar?

I read post after post with miss spelled words and grammatical errors that make you want to ask?
Where these folks absent when they taught spelling and basic English grammer in school?
For heavens sakes we are supposed to be professional sign painters and graphic artists [Bash]
If you can't spell on here, what do your signs look like?
Sorry for the rant, just having "one of those mornings" [Bash]

Please excuse ANY spelling errors, they where provided for the assistance of the typing impaired. [Rolling On The Floor]

Vinylman®

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert...What I do is look at the letters that are incorrect. Usually they are letters that are right beside the correct one on the keyboard.

I did learn spelling and grammatical construction in school. I just didn't learn how to type!!!!!!!!! [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Where these folks absent when...." - - you mean Were right?

"Miss spell" - - you mean misspell right?

[Razz] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It bugs me too.
I cringe when I hit "Add Reply" and then see a boo-boo in my spelling.
But I rarely edit because I don't want to seem wishy-washy. You have to realize that there is a subculture of certain people here that seem to hate each other. Sometimes they say mean things and edit them back out after they've simmered awhile. I don't care to come across in that manner. (Did you ever notice when someone adds "edited for spelling"?)
As for signmakers who can't spell, heck, you don't need to know proper spelling to make signs! Layout? Kerning? Colors? They don't matter either anymore. All you need is a plotter and you're good to go.
Dave has a point about typing as well. I am a one-finger "hunt and peck" typist. I never took typing in school....I wanted to be a famous artist! [Rolling On The Floor]
Thank God for the nuns at St. Catherine's school. I can spell fairly well. Just don't ask me any math questions.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took typing class in high school and never regreted it since I've been using a computer since
1990 to make a living. My former partner (retired) used to give me any menu board job that came into the shop that required a lot of typing!

I also consider myself a good speller, but I too have slipped up and had to fix a mistake now and then. Proof reading and checking the job before it goes out is a high priority for me.

It doesn't hurt if you can play the piano! Typing
comes easier for some reason. If you use the computer, I recommend taking a typing class at night school at the junior college. You will be amazed at how fast your productivity will increase with just typing speed.
Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mind works much faster than my fingers type...i hate typing...i know proper english but this is a casual board...i'm a slang kinda gal...that's why i never use upper/lower case. so please excuse my rudeness as it doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

my signs are a different story though.

have a great day and don't sweat the small stuff!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my take...
Misspelled words are free. So, you get what you pay for.
Correct spelling, punctuation and grammar is worth at least $65 an hour.
Since you are not paying me to reply to this post, or any other, there will will be typos.

get over it [Smile]

Havin' fun,

Checkers

P.S. here's a link to those of us that need help
http://www.apbookstore.com/apguidtopun.html

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Root
Resident

Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Root   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Root   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After two years of typing in high school, I had 48% and a personal note on my report card from the principal to never take it again. Without backspace and delete and spell check, I would be lost. All my messages are edited before hitting send as the chance of an error is almost a sure thing.

--------------------
Rob Root
Root Cellar Signs
Waubaushene,
rob@rootcellarsigns.ca

point and click until it works

Posts: 55 | From: Waubaushene, Ont. Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave:
I also type with one or two fingers at a time [Rolling On The Floor] so I can relate to the post.

Todd: I used spell check on this crazy post [I Don t Know]
But there doesn't seem to be any grammatical verification available to those of us who may { or may not } be challenged in that area. [Rolling On The Floor]
Great responces so far, and on topic as well.

Vinylman®

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karman Fairless
Visitor
Member # 2330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karman Fairless   Author's Homepage   Email Karman Fairless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, You all,

Sad to say, My English ain't so good. But my American is great... Thank God for spell check.

[Razz]

--------------------
Karman Fairless
Karman Art & Design
1007 W. Delmar Ave.
Godfrey, Illinois
karmanart@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 20 | From: Godfrey,Illinois | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink] I remember learning to type on "manual" typewriters in high-school....I was PO'd because the next class/room over had the new-fangled "selectrics"....

We really had to pound those keys to make contact. I never would have imagined at that time that there would be word processors and computers like we have today...crazy, huh? And I'm not t-h-a-t old!

We've come a long way baby. [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're entitled to 'have one of those days' occasionally (was there a full moon too ? [Smile] )

I can agree with all above statements, but I cringe when I hear spoken errors on national news etc, as well as seeing 'your' when 'you're' was required, their for they're, or the word 'that' used to refer to people when 'who' (or whom) is what it should be,
quote" Why is it that there are some here, that never seem to check their spelling"

it should read.......some here, WHO never seem to check their spelling... !!! ['that' is for animals & inanimate objects, we were taught,while 'who' is for people]

but Checkers' free advice & Appy's misplaced fingers and Jilly's search & destroy system are the result of hastily trying to help one's friends here, rather than ignorance... [Smile]

but you're still welcome to have another rant anyway!!!-

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd: P.S. I used the words "miss spelled" correctly, both spelling wise and grammatically, {it was past tense}. [Razz]

Jill: I haven't figured out how to make corrections on my posts after posting them, SOOOOOOOO! I just add comments. [I Don t Know]

Karen: I do not take offense at your' typing, or your thoughts. The pictures of your work speak volumes as to your capabilities.

This post originally was just my rant, wondering if the misspelling and poor grammar was a reflection of "some" of the work that we all see in our daily travels.
I think Jill got the main gist of the thread. [Applause]
Checkers:
As usual you have gotten to the gist of the thread, "havin fun"
Also thank you for the succinct way you seem to always point us to those wonderful places in cyberspace that no one else { me} even realizes exist. [Thanks]

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.

A.K.A. Vinylman®

John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the typing thing applies to everyone but OP. Now there I dont know what's going on. [I Don t Know] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree, though, I would've used a different tack.

(it ain't rite 2 critersize lessn' ya's cun hulp...) [Cool] ya havn' sum misssteaks 2 !!! [For Your Information] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I cringe when I hit "Add Reply" and then see a boo-boo in my spelling.
But I rarely edit because I don't want to seem wishy-washy. You have to realize that there is a subculture of certain people here that seem to hate each other. Sometimes they say mean things and edit them back out after they've simmered awhile. I don't care to come across in that manner. (Did you ever notice when someone adds "edited for spelling"?)

ah yes..I know that cringe well... the few seconds it takes the board to process that click of the "add reply" button is just long enough to find a typo [Frown]

I edit my typos all the time (must be my OCD)... but, I never write "edited for spelling" because I think when the edit time stamp is around 60 seconds after the post... it probably won't come off looking like a wishy washy retraction of commentary.

I don't rush to judge that typos here imply any sloppiness or ignorance... but I personally like to correct my spelling because I often find myself using words I'm unsure of & my BB time is ideal time to invest a few extra seconds to learn proper spelling at dictionary.com

I saw a their/they're error the other day... made the hair on my neck stand on end... but coming from a good speller... I kept my mouth shut knowing I'd really feel like I gotta watch my back if I start throwing stones [Smile] (I pointed one out before... man I used dictionary.com a lot that week [Rolling On The Floor] )

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hugh Potter
Visitor
Member # 5748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hugh Potter   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh Potter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Dave!!!!

My English grammer and speeling is near perfect (97% in english language !),

but, i am very guilty of being too lazy to sort out my mistakes, which are usually beacuse, like Dave says, i've not been teached to type proper like, i can type around 60 words a minute using four fingers, occasionally 5ive fingers

[edit.... another thing i have noticed, being serious for a moment, is that since getting this laptop, my spelling.... errr... 'miss hitting of keys'....i dont misspell, has got alot worserer, i'm not sure if it's because of having to be so gentle with the keys or some other reason, but, hey ho !! ]

i occasionally get letters muxed ip too, but it usually either cos i want too, cos i'm too tired at 4am to be bothered about editing what i've written, or because i'm typing too fast, and buzzing on cafféiné and falling off the seat !

that said, i often end up editing posts, especially if there's more than a couple of mishtakes !!

dont worry about it, Dude. Life's too short !

[ June 28, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Potter ]

--------------------
Hugh Potter
Drag-On signs,
sussex,
England, UK.
www.dragonsigns.co.uk

Posts: 145 | From: England, UK. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've had a spell of bad luck ever since my grammer passed on. It was typoid fever that did it.

mourning in the morning,

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went to work at a Military Base near here, someone told me that half ot the typists there were "huntin' peckers".

Sounds like it is pretty common.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John that was great. [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Thanks]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

quote:
Why is it that there are some here,...
I suffer from the same overuse of the word "that"...that ( [Wink] ) John apparently does.

I am always editing the word "that" out of my writing. There is simply no reason to add *that* word in most circumstances.

The sentence quoted above should probably be....

"Why is it there are some here.....(deleted *that*)

Then again...I'm no Mark Twain when it comes to composition. [I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor]

Interesting topic....the english language is very complex....and few of us have mastered it.

The other thing that is a real bummer to fall victim to is the "run-on" sentence. I was cautioned against this in an english composition course in college. You know, the sentence that goes on for the entire page without the benefit of periods, comma's, paragraphs...hmmmmm....who does that remind me of? [Razz]

[ June 28, 2005, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doun't think mie sppeling is sew baad. And spel chek is a waste of tyme. I tipe at a meedy yum spede becuz I had a broken fingr when I was yung and the docter set it cruked so insted of resting on the "s" my ring feenger hits the "a" and my litle feenger hits the kaps lok. [Bash] Sew I'll nevver bee fast at tieping [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My case
I simply do not see well as others. Some of you remember at the meet when I wore two layers of glasses while doing some striping.

Plus some nerve damage to my poundign fingers makes for more mistakes.

So, being visually impaired (old) I don't care if someone judges me because of a typed spelling error. Anyway, some believe that doing so brings bad karma such as something worse than what is judged.

And then, if you wanna know how you will be traeted when old, watch how you treat old people.

i'm havin fun...

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Cole:
Why is it there are some here, who never seem to check their spelling, or don't seem to know the use of proper grammar?

I read post after post with miss spelled words and grammatical errors that make you want to ask?
Where these folks absent when they taught spelling and basic English grammer in school?
For heavens sakes we are supposed to be professional sign painters and graphic artists [Bash]

Please excuse ANY spelling errors, they where provided for the assistance of the typing impaired. [Rolling On The Floor]

Vinylman®

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Why is it there are some here, who never seem to check their spelling, or don't seem to know the use of proper grammar?

Where these folks absent when they taught spelling and basic English grammar in school?

Corrections have been applied to appease those who rightfully found mistakes that I made in the original post.
that being said, my reason for the original post WAS NOT to embarrass anyone, just my frustration with poor spelling and grammar in general. Some of which we see displayed on this board. I understand that some of the typo errors are do to the desire to "help" or respond to someone's question or request quickly. I can, and have ,been faulted for that myself. And rightfully so. Perhaps some here have misunderstood my intention in posting this thread. For that I apologize.
Vinylman®

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Corrections have been applied to appease those who rightfully found mistakes that I made in the original post.

know their knot!
wear our yore corrections?
eye dew knot sea them.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And he performs this death defying stunt without Annette!

Is she on vacation! [I Don t Know]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I misspelled Dick Cheney's name on a campaign sign once. It read: "Chenney". The customer never noticed and it remained for the duration of the campaign. Didn't see any need to change it as it was by a busy highway with most folks doing about 60(faster than 60 kph)and the sign had so much junk on it, it's doubtful anyone saw it anyway. Another was a grammatical error: I misplaced an apostrophe. I hope and pray that I never do that on a sandblasted sign. [Eek!]

The most frequent errors I notice on this board are the improper switching of the homonyms: "to" and "too", "your" and "you're", "there" with "their" and "they're" and......,if your a backwoods southerner(did you catch that one?), "were", and "where". [Rolling On The Floor] But, I would think these words are rarely used on signs anyway.

Sorry we are murdering the King's English. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The King is dead, long live the Queen.

bill preston

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Which brings us back to the "gay" rainbow thread...hehehehe

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh Robert . . . cain'chu be more toler'nt?

Incidently, while I have a firm grasp of the written word, both in spelling and usage, (though admittedly somewhat weaker with regard to punctuation) I only use the formal language when wanting to appear as if I fully understand a concept, actually do understand a concept, or to mockingly intellectualize a concept.

In addition to those skills, I also possess the good grace and manners to over-look spelling errors by the huge majority of people, fully understanding that most typing/writing skills are not necessarily a sign of ignorance, prefering instead to look at WHAT is said rather than HOW it is written, and would only dare to deride someone for some poor word spelling in total jest.

Finally, so as not to become rigid, and to put more 'me' in my writing, I often simply write exactly as I talk, since I am not ashamed of my thick southern accent, although with respect to your comments, since you question some of the typing on here, I'm sure you're appalled by thick, southern, hill-billy-like accents and slang of which I am not ashamed to say I speak...

To summarize?

My statement is a fire-storm of protest in which I conclude with the opinion that you might 'get over it' and ultimately find a way to read the comments of others more objectively... [Razz] [Big Grin]

How'sat fer spellin' an' proper gramm'er? not to eve-in menchin sentunce struk-sher and them hi werds . . . [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry....yes, of course, the Queen.
"The King's English" is only an expression.
Rainbows, yes.
I love Skittles too.
G'nite all.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skittles, I can relate! [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Yeah, but what's with those white M & M's???? I got a pack of those a while back and it just didn't seem right...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHITE m&m's . . .?

Wow...are they white chocolate???

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Sheila:
I'm over it!

And your' INTOLERANT remarks.
I tried {unsuccessfully evidently} to clarify my first post be adding comments to my last post before this one. Perhaps....... ahh forget it!
I'll just leave this board to you.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Quote:

I was only playin' babydoll (thought smileys helped ID that as well . . .)
. . . I apologize if it seemed as if I was really chastizin'. . .

But it does prove another point . . .that even with perfectly correct grammer and spelling, the real meaning can get lost . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People get finger dyslexic when they type here, especially if they're hurriedly trying to help someone. That doesn't bother me.

When people intentionally spell stuff wrong because they think it's cute or whatever, I find it annoying and hard to read and usually don't read it.

When I see misspellings or poor grammar in a magazine article or on a website, I find myself discrediting the writer or questioning the intelligence of the editor. Subconsciously I wonder if their English skills are poor, are their products or service poor too?

Personally, I always type loose when I want lose and vice versa. I'm trying to work on that because it bothers me.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Lopez
Visitor
Member # 131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Lopez   Email Don Lopez       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this one on the Spell and Grammar checker:

Owed two a Spell Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer;
It came with my pea sea;
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
End weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong our write -
It shows me straight a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye kin put the arrow rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it;
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
My chequer tolled me sew.

- Sores unknown
Ohm other hovered
vendue dunk covered
together burdock ebon
wench ego dare
duck othered fuzz bear
unsewed abhor docket nun.

Author unknown.

--------------------
Don Lopez Signs
Signwriter
Faulconbridge N.S.W.
Australia
02 4751 2158

Posts: 80 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!