Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT cell phone charges???(fraud)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT cell phone charges???(fraud)
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 5 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife borrowed her father's Verizon cell phone for awhile, and now they (the company) are saying there's about a hundred dollars worth of charges for games and music downloads that we don't know anything about.

She made a few calls, and made a few pictures*, which she e-mailed to us, but that's all. I've heard of people being able to listen in on cell phone calls, but is it possible to do more? Any techies out there know anything about this?

*BTW one of the pictures she took was the one you see here as my residency photo. I thought it was kidding around time, hence the "thinker" pose. She was actually conspiring with the mayor's wife to give me my residency as a birthday present. Great present, but I usually look a bit doofier. [I Don t Know]

[ June 23, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: James Donahue ]

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hugh Potter
Visitor
Member # 5748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hugh Potter   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh Potter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont imaine the usa to be any different to europe, i know over here that fraudsters can sometimes 'clone' your number and use it to their hearts content, though, if unusual use is noticed, the computer should flag it up and a phone co rep will call you,

a frined was quite lucky last year when her hone was cloned, within a few hours she got a call from vodafone who enquired as to the unusual useage, they then cancelled the sim card and got a new one out to her next day, she had to change her number but at least she was 'let off' the £140 ($260 US) that'd been run up on chatlines and downloads etc !

it might be worth enquiring if the phone co can determine where the calls were made from, if it wasnt too long ago they should have the info as to which main transmitters were used.

--------------------
Hugh Potter
Drag-On signs,
sussex,
England, UK.
www.dragonsigns.co.uk

Posts: 145 | From: England, UK. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Verizon has charged me for 800 number calls. Plus, every time I dail a number & the other line is "dead" it registers it as a call. (& I get billed for it)

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hugh Potter
Visitor
Member # 5748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hugh Potter   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh Potter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being charged for freephone numbers such as 800, or the UK's 0800 numbers are charged from a mobile, thats because the person you're calling is picking up the bill, its cheap to pay for a customers landline call, but a mobile tarrif could cost them dear !!

i know if i dial a 0800 number, it tells me to hang up and redial using 800 and that i'll be charged for it,

the only thing that annoys me, is being chraged when you call an emergency number, 999 in my case, or 911 in most of yours, doing th amount of road miles i did until recently (about 50,000 a year) i saw plenty of accidents or had various reasons to call the emergency services, they keep you on the line until a car/ambulance arrives especially if someone is injured, and I get charged for bothering to stop and call !

--------------------
Hugh Potter
Drag-On signs,
sussex,
England, UK.
www.dragonsigns.co.uk

Posts: 145 | From: England, UK. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend sent me this this morning...

JUST A REMINDER...In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.
YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS...
To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
YOU CAN ALSO REGISTER YOUR PHONE NUMBERS ONLINE AT WWW.DONOTCALL.GOV

PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS...

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats just fkn crazy...i registered and all...but if i see a number i don't recognize...i let it go to the recording....very few people know my cell and i intend to keep it that way!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephanie here"

Thanks for the replies.

That's a good point Hugh, that they might have alerted him when they noticed the unusual usage, being,as he is a long-time customer.

Verizon is the company in question. My father, has been on the phone all morning trying to get this resolved, but they have him over a barrel, because to quit his 2-year contract before it expires, they'll charge him $100 some dollars per line (which happens to be 6 lines, so it's cheaper to pay). I don't see how they can do this. Their sales blurb is something like "your problem is our problem". I wonder if the contract warned about insecure systems that they make $$$ on now and then.

I don't even know how to download to the phone and it's on several different dates. As if I have nothing better to do than sit arround and play Mrs. Packman, at an inflated rate no less.

I welcome any more hint and tips, like yours, Jane.

Stephanie

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Stephanie,

I was recently looking at Verizon's calling plans. From what I recall, you can request an itemized bill - for an additional fee. Maybe that will help you narrow down the problem.
I would be more concerned with the 3-4 phones that are being used that you and your dad don't have direct control over. My bet is that they are your culprits.
If you can't get the answers to your written questions/concerns through Verizon, start filing complaints with the BBB, State Attorney General and/or the FCC.
Start documenting everything and if this does not get resolved today, start the letter writing campaign and keep good notes.

Good luck,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I would be more concerned with the 3-4 phones that are being used that you and your dad don't have direct control over. My bet is that they are your culprits."

Would that be a problem even though the phone I had was the only one with a download option and the one specificly being charged? Also, the other phones are all with adult family members who are even more computer illiterate than I.

Thanks, Stephanie

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.

Benjamin Franklin

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
remember when Paris Hilton got her phone "hacked into"? that pretty much brought the possibility of unauthorized access from a malicious remote user into public awareness. That's all I ever heard about it until now... but your situation sounds similar.

Keep in mind during your negotiations that the charges in question are a lot to you... but the prospect of keeping your family as customers is worth a lot more to them, so they should have good reason to be fair with you.

I've had to be persistant, but I've had many charges waived or reversed from cell phone companies (both T-Mobile, Voicestream & Verizon)

*edit* opps, almost forgot... while Jane's "DO NOT CALL" phone # is correct, this site clarifies some of the other claims in that familiar email:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_directory.htm

[ June 24, 2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . . man . . .it just makes you wonder if it was one of the companies own 'punks' who sit around waiting to do phone installations in vehicles . . . . or someone hanging out 'late' at the Verizon office location . . . . . mabey who opened the account to entertain their kid they had to drag to work with them . . .

[Roll Eyes]

If something can be hacked into . . . can't it be reverse-hacked to find the first hacker???

(PS: Now not only phones, but the recent news is many credit cards numbers are being black marketed to a third party for as little as $45 each, and theives are running up lots & lotsa dollars of debt . . . [Eek!]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know what REALLY ****es me off? I get automated calls like "you have won a trip to Mexico" (or something) Call this number to redeem your prize. One day I was bored & played along, & they're saying something something, give me your credit card number & we'll send you info. YEAh, right. So I keep playing along- ok, well send me some paperwork by fax & I'll give you my card #. NO, but... NO. Fax me. So we went along for a little bit until I told them to take a hike. Actually I said a little more than that, but Steve & Barb wouldn't let me post it! LOL!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felix Marcano:
you know what REALLY ****es me off? I get automated calls like "you have won a trip to Mexico" ...

Yeah... could'a been worse, they could have been tryin' to persuade you with free trip to Puerto Rico [Rolling On The Floor]

(I see national ad campaigns all the time offering me to win a trip to Hawaii!! ...now that's not even worth the price of a lottery ticket [Smile] )

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane,

You might find this link interesting regarding your friend's email. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

The following was copied and pasted from the above site.

Here's the truth:

A national directory will be compiled, but numbers will be included on an opt-in basis. If a cell phone subscriber does nothing, the number will not be listed. When the directory is ready, it will be available only as part of the existing 411 directory service, accessed by calling in and asking for a specific number. It will not be published in a book or on the Internet. And it will not be sold to telemarketers.

Cell phone subscribers can list their numbers on the do-not-call registry if they choose, but there is no deadline to get on the list, as the e-mail messages now circulating suggest

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!