Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Wall Murals, Wow!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wall Murals, Wow!
Mike Paul
Visitor
Member # 4200

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike Paul   Email Mike Paul       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well worth a look.
Man this guy is good!
http://www.ericgrohemurals.com/

--------------------
Mike
Auto Graphix
New Jersey
graphix@nac.net

Posts: 32 | From: Butler New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree! Is there anybody out there is Letterville who has worked with the Keim paint he uses? I hear it has great longevity. Is it hard to work with? Oil or water base? Any disadvantages of advantages? Anyone?

[ June 08, 2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Keim is made in Germany I believe. It is waterbased and very expensive. (like $150. a gallon, or something). I hear that it's supposed to last for over 100 years.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used it before and it is a bit pricey. It's a mineral based paint and you can read all about here at their US website.

http://www.keimmineralsystems.com

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J.T. but is it WORTH the price? And how is it to work with? They say in the ads on their site that it will last 100 years....? Hype or truth?

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sort of similar to how fresco works. (It was created as an alternative to fresco which is really a pain the wazoo)
It's not really paint like your normal everyday latex house paint. It's more like "liquid wall". In a way it becomes part of the wall. It's made up of all minerals and mineral pigments with a silicate binder. (Nothing organic just like fresco except fresco is lime based)
As for lasting 100 years, they sure say it does and I don't see why it wouldn't considering what it is and how it works.
Fresco has lasted way more than 100 years because Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel in 1504 and that's what he used.
However, I can't confirm it lasts 100 years because I'm only 43. But I'll be sure to let you know somewhere around 2065.

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane...are you planning on warranting something that long? [Wink]

Jeff [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Hadn't really thought about that one, Jeff! But it would be nice to be able to say more that 10 or so years. The way it is now, 10 years is a stretch with some of these paints we are used to. It is sort of discouraging to do all the work that a mural entails and then have it fade away in a few years! I guess I'm just looking for alternatives that would hold up better...

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Just for the record there Jane, you can get way more than 10 years out of Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat. It has a lifetime guarantee.
( http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/products_detail?prodNum=4050&catId=7 )
It you were to paint your house with it they guarantee it not to crack, chip, or fade as long as you own your house.
I have items that have been out in the Texas sun for 10 years that still look just fine.

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

It would appear this has turned into a paint longevity thread. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane,

I used to live 20 miles from this mural in Bucyrus. It is so real looking, that my dog walked up to the dog to look at it. A little boy tried to pet the dog in the pic also while we were there. If you look at the brick closely, there is a faint line. That is where the actual brick meets the picture brick, and the little boy standing in front of the pic is an actual boy, I believe, since he is standing on the authentic brick.
In the second building on the right there are two people reaching each from one window to the other in the next window, handing each other something. The cat is in the left hand side, as I remember, if you were standing there in person, you can see catchy details. This guy is a master. And, I can say, the paint is probably the most fabulous out there. Wouldn't you think he would use that. I believe the entire project with the brick walkway and fountains in addition to the mural was about 400,000. I could be wrong but I think I saw that in the Columbus dispatch or someone told me. This was about in 2001 when I visited. The paint is worth it, rich and luxurious. I don't know how long it would last, but, if not the longevity, then for the pigments that are the finest quality to look at.
I remember the Winsor and Newton oil paint tubes of crimson violet sold for $27.00 in 1981 when I sold paints and brushes. It was the high quality pigments.
These murals are such a treat to visit!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!