Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Painting Limestone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painting Limestone
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a job to paint a bunch of 8" letters that have been routed out of limestone...a big bunch of letters. They are about .5" deep. The sign has already been installed (about 6' x 15' - double faced).

I would like to use 100% acrylic (charcoal color) since they will have to have several coats and the drying time will be almost nothing in our Texas heat.

Shellac makes a great sealer/primer for this type of job, but can I paint over it with latex paint? Or is there something better to seal the limestone before painting?

Thanks in advance for the help.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond

I've painted a whole bunch of masonry walls in my time and never like to seal them prior to painting. Acrylic paints have the wonderful ability to breathe as does most masonry.

I would suggest you prime the letters with a good quality acrylic primer (tinted to half your final color) and then paint the letters with the acrylic paint.

It's always worked for me.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, my husband sandblasts yard stones...yep, the ones you see in people's yards. We are getting some "custom requests", & have a customer who wants me to airbrush on them for him. What would you recommend I do this with? Will my One Shot work, & do i need a sealer on the surface first?

Thanks a bunch!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deco Art has a product called Patio Paints that are made for painting concrete, Terra Cotta and wood. www.decoart.com
They are rich colors and heavily pigmented.

I have used them on all kinds of rocks, on wood, HDU and concrete. I have a sign with HDU Rocks and wood with an "engine turned copper paint" finish on the South-West side of my building that has been there for four years - I am really impressed with the durability - They hold there colors well and don't peel. It is the only thing I have had luck with as far as painting on stones set in the ground. The moisture justs moves through the paint rather than popping it off.
I wouldn't want to seal limestone because it seems so absorbant...won't the moisture wick through it and be trapped behind the sealer, causing it to pop off?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob

In my opinion and experiece I would never use OneShot (or any oil base paint) to paint masonry of any type. As Kelly says acrylic paints breathe and lets moisture pass through it which would make oil base paint and sealers bubble and flake off.

I've done over a 100 historical murals in all climates - most on masonry surfaces... brick, block or concrete with virtually no failures over a period of more than 20 years... unless the walls were sealed prior or after I did my painting.

That being said I know there will be some who dissagree with me... and that's fine for them... I just won't go there.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks. Latex it is. Now, all I have to do in stand out in the Texas heat for a few days.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting a little more specific...I've always used Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat when using latex outside.
It has a lifetime guarantee as long as you own your house.(I know you're not painting a house but that says they have a lot of faith in their paint)
A second opinion from Dan wouldn't hurt since he didn't mention a specific product but that's what I've been using when using latex.
Just for the record, if you want to use the absolute best product on the entire planet on masonary, rock, brick, etc, that would be Keim Mineral Paint.
http://www.keimmineralsystems.com/
I've spoken about it in other threads before and I'm not sure if Dan has ever used it or is even familiar with it. (Note to you Dan: I'd like to know if you have)
The only thing is that it costs a fortune and is a bit hard to get. But it's supposed last over 100 years.
And I know what you mean about the Texas heat. I'm right up I-35 from you.

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Thanks for the information J.T.

I have been up in your territory several times in the last month. Once was to help with some installations at the new Cabela's - that's a store that you don't want to miss. It's like going to an amusement park for guys.

Anytime you are headed down South, stop in for a visit.

And that goes for anyone - we love visitors and always can find the time for lunch or something. If you are really friendly, I'll even let you buy.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I've used quite a variety of paints through the years in terms of brands... and they aren't created equal. You get what you pay for. Try and save money and you'll be doing more coats and suffer with longevity.

I haven't used the brand that J.T. speaks of.

Generally I use premium quality house paints with good success. In Canada my favorite brand currently is General Paint... not available in the States to my knowlege... but I could be wrong about that too.

I have used Benjamin Moore and Porter as well as Behr with good success.

Have fun in the sun!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!