Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Shop Bot pro and cons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shop Bot pro and cons
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone familiar with the ShopBot router table?

The price is so much less than a "real" CNC router that it's the only new one we can consider. I know it looks a bit homemade, but is it sufficient for most carved signs and routed letters?

3D software is an option so I assume it has 3D capability. We would want to use it to cut out simple shapes from PVC, acrylic and a little aluminum, and to incise letters, etc. for dimensional signage.

What is left out to get the price down?

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, This is what I'm looking into too. The just had a couple of atricles in Signbusiness I think, about a company making and sending stuff to the Caribian. It worked perfect. I'll be watching this post too. John

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shop bot is definitely for the technically skilled...does the job but comes in a crate and you set it up...i think ernie balch has one...he had previously built his own(clever guy)...the folks i know that have them can pretty much take them apart and put them together...i, on the other hand, wanted it all set up and ready to go...but unfortunately i have had to become a little more technical than i wanted after the bearings went in the spindle...and the place i got it from decided they really didn't want to take care of their own system.
you get what you pay for...if you are mechanically inclined then it would be a good choice.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee thanks Karyn... (I really like your moose logo did you plan on routing it?)

Paul,
I went with the practical CNC system instead of shopbot. All routers are a compromise even the heavy commercial ones. It is important to test drive the router before you slap your money down.

You can see photos of us putting ours together on my Blog. Just go to our website www.balchsigns.com and click on "our blog" You can see some of the photos and our shop on www.balchsigns.signtopia.com

ernie

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had our ShopBot over three years and are very pleased with it. The manufacturers support is terrific. We did put it together ourselves but I believe they offer that set up service for an additional charge. Currently we are not doing 3-D. (Just haven't had the time to get to the learning curve.) We cut out a lot of pvc letters and are encouraged by the possibilites the router offers. For basic sign shop applications it's a great tool.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had my SB for close to 4 years now and Not an Ounce of trouble. About 60% of our work is full 3D. The trick to the SB or any other router though is the program that runs it. You can have a $150k Machine and if the program isn't there you have an over priced Jigsaw.
I have ran many bigger and nicer machines but I'll keep my SB as its Paid for so when I turn it on I'm making Money not a payment. And isn't that why we buy tools.
Feel free to call me if you like (719-276-9338) and I could talk to you more about the SB I can't recommend this machine enough for someone on a budget.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Meeks
Visitor
Member # 5081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Meeks   Author's Homepage   Email John Meeks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 2 days in their manufacturing facility in Durham, NC a couple of weeks ago with about 300 current or soon to be owners of a Shopbot. Everyone had nothing but good things to say. There were several folks that were there to buy a second machine. Shopbot is extremely open and willing to show and give a demonstration to anyone interested in purchasing one.
John Meeks

--------------------
John P Meeks
The Sign Shoppe, Inc.
Everwood
200 Brozzini Ct.
Greenville, SC 29615
864-275-5140

Posts: 44 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me Too Bill,

I've had my 48X96 SB for three 1/2 years. It's changed our buiness all most as much as the 4B.

John, this is a Real CNC. It's powerful and accurate. It will quickly cut through 3/4" MDO like butter.

The standard unit comes with a tall gantry that will accomodate 6" wood beams. This is a real help to us when making sign posts, with flutes. We even have it cut all our sandblast mask right on the redwood panel. Saves the plotter and the transfer process.

Let me put in a plug for the SB Forum. It's so friendly and helpful. Questions are answered promptly. Also the SB support team is all one could ask for. Great Guys. They will take all the time you need for questions.

I wouldn't be hesitant to look for a used unit on the forum page. Some great buy's.

Joe
www.normansignco.com

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane,

I'm with Karyy on this. I wouldn't ever been able to do all that. I admire you guys mechanical ability.

Joe
www.normansignco.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Gastelum
Visitor
Member # 5341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Gastelum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my shopbot since Nov 04. So far no cons, I'm doing acrylic, poly-carb, Foams, PVC's, Aluminum. You name it! I spent a little over 20K. I have the newer alpha version of the SB with the 3hp 240 HF colombo spindle & it cuts like a hot knife thru butter. Here's a pic of a sign I just did for fun

-

It'll do everything you need for the sign business. I'm one very happy customer with a great machine and great customer service

--------------------

Posts: 79 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wanting to get a SB since they came out. The budget just won't allow it yet.When the router first came out you could buy one for under $3k. I wouldn't want that model because of the way they used to drive the gantry.

They have improved the router a lot through the years. You used to clamp in a 5hp router like a Bosch, now they have a spindle motor. With all these improvements, the price has gone way up too. So the longer I wait, saving my pennies, the higher the price goes delaying my purchase even more. What are they up to now, $6k for entry level?

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. It sounds like ther are a lot of ShopBot fans out there.

I'd like to view the bulletin board. Is it open to potential (non) owners?

If so, what is the url?

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What software are you current owners using?

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Another great thing about this company:

Shopbot supports a kind of Letterhead Camp, put on by SB owners. Participants show up and do much the same as we do at our meetings. I don't know of any other CNC company that does this.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had i known what i know now...i would have bought one and paid someone to help me set it up...after initial setup you have to pony up and figure out stuff whether ya like it or not. routers are very cool but you have to be sharp(not dragging asss at the end of the day)when using them...well i guess thats my opinion...doing tool changes/feedrates/"z"ing in, etc i have to be clear headed...or i mess shyt up.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!