Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » vinyl cutter of choice for sandblasting Mask

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vinyl cutter of choice for sandblasting Mask
Shane Bennett
Visitor
Member # 3968

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Shane Bennett   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for a new vinyl cutter and would like to use it to cut sandblasting mask and paint mask. Currently I have a roland CM-24 desktop and it will only cut mask if I put a bunch of washers on the blade and cut a bouble line. I cut out of corel draw 12 and I can't change the speed except by a dip switch. Let me know what you folks like to use. I am leaning toward something that will work with corel draw because I enjoy working with it so much.
Thanks
Shane Bennett [Thanks] [Thanks]

--------------------
Shane Bennett
Bennett Signs & Designs
17134 State Hwy. 80
Richland Center WI 53581
contact@bennettsigns.biz

Posts: 41 | From: Richland Center WI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into the Allen Datagraph 536 . It is an excellent cutter developed to cut rubber stencil as well as excellent cutting ability for vinyl.

It uses a tangential emulation mode for rubber cutting. It is both a sprocket and and a friction fee cutter.

I have two Allen cutters in my shop and have had excellent results from them both.

If I was going to put a new cutter in my shop tomorrow, the 536 would be the one that I would buy.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an "ancient" Anagraph Express, & I cut 3 sandblast masks today with it, no problem. The only thing is, I take my plotter off the stand & lay it on the floor to cut with it, because the mask is so heavy. Today I had my speed on 10, & I used 270 lbs. of pressure.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Graphtec and it works great. I also find having a pounce feature is a must for us too.

Something I find interesting is that cutting thick rubber in lengths over six feet was causing some distortion in one of the directions. Having an easy adjustment to correct for thick materials is also an essential. If you think about a roller with material on it there is a radius that is different than that of 2 mil vinyl.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane,

Excellent question.

For years the workhorse was the Gerber tractor feel plotters. However the manufacturer was outed, mainly over price in the plotter area. I'm sure there are many good units out there but still, we could cut twenty feet of SB mask and have return to do a second cut with precision.

Our last Gerber plotter purchase was the HS 15plus, and when it had problems, after 10 years, Gerber had stopped any repair on it. We got it repair by The Plotter Doctor, but now only use it on rubber mask.

I'd be tempted to recommend buying an old used one of to for SB mask only if you do very much of this kind of work? A 4B can be bought very reasonably.

Are there other new tractor feed, tangentila plotters which do pounce patters?

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
put many miles on my MIMAKI - no complaints -

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!