Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I done it again! (dragon my butt)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I done it again! (dragon my butt)
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every once in a while I let my excitement for a project get the better of me. In the process I manage to bite off WAY more than I can possibly chew. The project I'm working on currently is one of those.

It started innocently enough. (sense a pattern here) A good friend of mine overcommitted himself and I figured I might just bale him out. In the process I jumped into his shoes... and good.

He needs to build a world class display for a high end garden show in the big city. I figured it would be a wonderful opportunity to show off one of my new welded steel sculptures... a good time to test the market in this presticious show.

But then we got to talking and decided a large piece was just the ticket... maybe 10 feet tall... yup, that would do fine.

The dragon will be picking petals off of a flower... she loves me... she loves me not... and obviously is biased towards the former... and will be placed in the middle of a large flower bed for the display.

I figured I had built a 4 foot bird in about 10 hours so a 10 foot dragon should only take twice as long. I was a bit optimistic it seems. It turns out that a 10 foot dragon has about 10 times the surface area and the scales are considerably smaller than a birds feathers...

I have 30 hours into this crazy thing so far and am maybe a third of the way through. And the Thursday deadline is coming kinda fast....

Its going to be a loooong week!

Initial sketch
 -

Progress so far
 -

-grampa dan

[ May 23, 2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dan,

You're dragon around a couple of extra spaces. Kill off the spaces between the brackets and the image address and we can get a dose of dragon breath.

Edited for:

Dan was already doin' what I was tellin' him while I was tellin' him what to do.

[ May 23, 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are each of those scales individual? [Eek!]
Looking pretty cool already. I wouldn't be able to leave the head for last though - it would kill me. Looking forward to more pics.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly

Each of those scales is cut by hand with my PLASMA CUTTER [Smile] and then welded into place. Actually I cut up a whack of them and then weld until my arm is falling off and then back to cutting again.

The good news is that it uses up ALL of my scrap plate in the shop (as well as two whole sheets of new stuff)

I have to work from the tail up so the scales overlap.

Doing the head will be the REWARD for slogging through the endless scales on the rest of the project. [Smile]

grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

"We are limited only by our perception of our abilities."

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Arnott
Visitor
Member # 4650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Arnott   Email Peter Arnott       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, that is going to be absolutely brilliant when it's finished.

This new CNC router your getting, is there any way you can hook the plasma cutter up to it? Might take the ache out of those arms. [Smile] Just a thought.

--------------------
Peter Arnott
New Zealand
biscuits@xtra.co.nz

Posts: 15 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool project Dan !!!

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, you are proving to us that anything can be done as long as you have the imagination and the love of the challange. After doing this, the next bigger project will be a piece of cake. You get my vote for one of the very best.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet Bakewell
Visitor
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet Bakewell   Author's Homepage   Email Janet Bakewell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with that, Dan... it's beautiful! Hope you make it 'til Thursday!

Please post more pics when you're done.

--------------------
Janet Bakewell
One Sun Grafiks Inc.
Slave Lake, AB Canada
www.onesungrafiks.com

Posts: 128 | From: Slave Lake, AB Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy dragons breath Grampa Dan...looking really cool...Are you fighting dragons in your sleep yet???

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you at least getting paid by the scale?

Looks great so far.

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!