Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need recommendations on an inexpensive vinyl cutter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need recommendations on an inexpensive vinyl cutter
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Gariepy   Email Peter Gariepy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

Been a part of your community for only a few weeks, but I'm enjoying all the posts. Took me a while to figure out what "OT" ment though... [Big Grin]

I could use some recommendations on an inexpensive vinyl cutter. Strictly for testing and home use - not for production. The cheaper the better.
Will use it to test the designs on www.vinylready.com.

While I'm at it, whats the best software out there for cutting vinyl?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Posts: 100 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ever you get.. make sure its not a low end or nonstandard machine. It will haunt you for a long time.

Get a name brand. There's dozons of them around for reasonable prices. Some are just like new.
Software. = Corel draw and Cocut. You cant go worng.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same comments as Curtis, but we cut right out of Corel. We have Co-cut, just don't use it anymore.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean-Claude Theriault
Visitor
Member # 966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean-Claude Theriault         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently bought a "low-end/non-standard" or whatever you want to call it and I'm more than happy with what I got for less than $1300. Canadian dollars including delivery. It has a one year warranty.

I bought a Creation P-Cut (rebranded as a Rav-en)from Corbin Graphics in Edmonton Alberta and it came with basic WinPC Sign Letter software version 12.0

Here is a link to the cutters:
http://www.corbingraphics.com/cuttersraven.htm

Blair and George have been a pleasure to do business with compared to past dealings with some of the larger plotter sellers, no names being mentioned but one originally had a S***M***R IVB product [Smile] They have no interest in dealing with the little guys and have lost my business for good.

Good Luck!

Jean-Claude

--------------------
South End Signs
Jean-Claude Theriault
Halifax, NS

Posts: 172 | From: Halifax NS | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Roland Stika cutters work well (have a 15") and cut from Corel very nicely
$600 to $900 depending where you buy it

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want cheap why no look at a used plotter? You see them all the time becasue people upgraded to bigger and faster.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Gariepy   Email Peter Gariepy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great suggestions. Thanks all!
Peter

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Posts: 100 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For test run and home use I can recomend the Vinyl Express machines. For true production they are unreliable because thay can be difficult to tune for perfect cutting but they are cheap and come with gutted but functional Flexi software in the form of LXi.

Low price for a new 24" plotter seems to be $900.

Note: If you plan on using the node editor in the program you need to upgrade the software to 'expert'

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My inlaws have a 24" cutter for sale. They want $1000. for it with everything. Software, vinyl rolls, etc. I can tell you its got about a week's use in it. They bought it because they came down here, wanted do be sign guys & bought a computer & plotter. Call Vickie or Edward if you're interested. 318-428-9023 (central time)

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!