Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » tyvek "sack signs"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tyvek "sack signs"
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who makes and/or prints them?
the cheapie political ones
with lil wire stepstakes

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.southbendscreen.com/

Under yard signs and a merchant here! Not sure if they're tyvek, maybe Bob will chime in here soon.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kistler
Visitor
Member # 4049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kistler   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kistler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this certainly isn't chiming in soon. I've just been too busy trying to put last minute details on orders so I can disappear for a week.
We do make a jaket sign made out of polypropylene that is much stiffer than the typical bag sign. We sell it to realtors and remodeler types. We also sell a lot of them to sign shops for blanks.
But Michael, the sign I think you are referring to is the polybag signs. It is made out a polyethelyne bag, it's printed and assembled on an automatic roto gravure line. Very inespensive frame and all, you see a lot of them in the political area of signage. I do sell them but there is not enough amrgin for me to purchase and 2 of us resell so I tell my wholesale customers to go to www.patriotsigns.com they offer discounting to resellers

--------------------
Robert M. Kistler
South Bend Screen Process, Inc.
2018 S. Franklin St.
South Bend IN 46613

Posts: 131 | From: South Bend Indiana | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bob....
I will call them

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moon
Visitor
Member # 452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Moon   Email The Moon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you use offset printing inks on the Polyproylene or maybe silk screen inks?

I would like to airbrush on actual Tyvek sheets. I have asked one of the Window Splash experts here, this question, but with this topic active here tonight... I thought maybe I might actually be able to pull this "brilliant idea" of mine off.

Has anyone painted on Tyvek House Wrap sheets?

I'm working on 8 HUGE murals for a Muffler Shop and I want them "portable" when he moves the shop in about 5 years.

The related to the shop owner side of the Moon

--------------------
The Moon
aka: Stefenie Harris
Moonlight Designs
Pollock Pines, CA
learnin' somethin' new every day!
stefenie@comcast.net

Posts: 550 | From: Pollock Pines, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Moon:
Would you use offset printing inks on the Polyproylene or maybe silk screen inks?

I would like to airbrush on actual Tyvek sheets. I have asked one of the Window Splash experts here, this question, but with this topic active here tonight... I thought maybe I might actually be able to pull this "brilliant idea" of mine off.

Has anyone painted on Tyvek House Wrap sheets?

I'm working on 8 HUGE murals for a Muffler Shop and I want them "portable" when he moves the shop in about 5 years.

The related to the shop owner side of the Moon

have him take the walls with him

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Hay Steffie
I think yer reachin
5 years these days on an exterior mural
is a good lifespan ..given the paints we
have to work with
Now this guy wants more than that
and he wants em portable?
Dont those house diapers have the name
printed all over em?
keep in mind that if a muffler
dont spit the bit after 5 years
its a miracle

the ..I dont like workin for relatives
side of "ontime"

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter

The Moon
Visitor
Member # 452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Moon   Email The Moon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah thanks guys for stickin up for me in both your wonderful and uniquely halrious ways! (Luv you two nuts!)

Gavin, you KNOW I was drinking Pepsi while reading your post! ...I nearly hosed my LapTop(s)

Michael, How's Shirl? .... Keeping you in line? - No? [Rolling On The Floor] I bet she really IS, but your "secret" is safe with me.

He's not using them OUT side the shop, they are for the in side... and I want them to be portable.... THEN I can ALSO have the convenience of working on them at home and delivering them for him to hang way the frick up there. [Thanks] for looking out for me though. I'm planning to do some Portfolio Work in Large Scale and his shop inspires me...

Just wondering though, if anyone's ever painted on Tyvek here. Let's face it, we have a lot of Sign-Test-Pilot's here because we are a hungry bunch for stuff like: what you can do to paint a sign, and on what you can possibly paint it on, and (to keep up with times..) what computer to buy, which Blades cut best, LOL It's like the Letterhead heartbeat. Right?

The rambling on WAY too much side of the Moon

Sorry, didn't mean to switch the post.

--------------------
The Moon
Moonlight Designs
Pollock Pines, CA
stefenie@comcast.net

Posts: 550 | From: Pollock Pines, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kistler
Visitor
Member # 4049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kistler   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kistler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we screen print tyvek, or should I say when I have too, it takes special inks. It is made of a polyolefin spun fiber stuff. So it it has lots of pores to grab around but not necessarily fully adhered. It takes testing because it acts somewhat like styrafoam. most things will melt it.
One possiblity would be to buy screen print inks intended for tyvek, thin it down and apply, but I wouldn't go anywhere near that 5 year stuff. That's all you can expect at the best, and that is if it is full strength, if you lean it out with whites to get pastel colors the fade resistance is gone.
So as always test with whatever you intend to use and garantee nothing for longevity unless you can use products that you guys and gals normally would use for mural work, and it sounds like others are saying 5 years is a long time.

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em

--------------------
Robert M. Kistler
South Bend Screen Process, Inc.
2018 S. Franklin St.
South Bend IN 46613

Posts: 131 | From: South Bend Indiana | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moon
Visitor
Member # 452

Thanks Bob! (and I've always been a fan of Kenny Rogers- LOL)

I'm startin to get it through my thick head this project may not work out, but I AM still gonna try... something.
I'll post the results when I get them done.

The creatively dense side of the Moon

--------------------
The Moon
Moonlight Designs
Pollock Pines, CA
stefenie@comcast.net

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they're for interior use, why not use aluminum or mdo or sintra or anything along those lines? The longevity of the paint shouldn't be nearly as big an issue if they'll be inside away from the UV.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

we usta paint banners on a material called tara cloth.It was like an artists canvas.It was a fabric with somekinda coating.You may try to fingd some of that.Or get some big banners made up...

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!