Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Post card for advertising

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Post card for advertising
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am putting a post card together to send out to potential customers. This is the first draft but I wonder if its not too busy. If you received this in the mail would you look at it or throw it in the trash?

Any suggestions will be apprecitated.

-

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like everything..except the black/white
script headers... font is too casual...
good idea Jerry

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet Bakewell
Visitor
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet Bakewell   Author's Homepage   Email Janet Bakewell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, Jerry, except for the black/white headings - I DO like the font, but I'd pick a brighter color than white. I'm inclined to say the same color yellow that you used in your name, but it might take away from the name, then. Hmmmm...

--------------------
Janet Bakewell
One Sun Grafiks Inc.
Slave Lake, AB Canada
www.onesungrafiks.com

Posts: 128 | From: Slave Lake, AB Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reply I had in mind before reading the others was...
I like everything..except the black/white
script headers!

I also don't object to the font, but I think the pics just about tell the whole story, but on small line of text on the bottom, seperated by bullets of some kind would alow you to give them the list & also frame your pics with some more text (maybe even a smaller line under the products & services that has address & phone number?)

I think the white will pop fine when it's not laid over the photos.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Thomas Greer
Resident

Member # 4566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Thomas Greer   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Thomas Greer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fyou are doing 4 up on a page why don't you do 4 different layouts and not have them so busy and send the approiate style card to the potential customer?

--------------------
Steve Thomas Greer
ABRACADABRA SIGNS & DESIGNS
102 Stanley St. Ayr, Ont. Canada

Posts: 602 | From: Ayr, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it.
The oil change banner starts too look like you charge 12.95 for banners at first glance. Also, it could look loke you're an online order place.

Put a text message on the reverse side. But, it is said " name in the headline is a Dead Line". Which means that you must appeal to the customers needs in the Headline. If you put your name in the head line it goes to the trash.
Use one of the words that is the unwritten secrete lead word..
For example..

We can address THESE needs for you.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's way too busy. A postcard should read at least as quickly as a sign. You have about a half a second for it to grab someone's attention. If they can't make sense of it, it's going in the garbage.

I think a layout with no more than four well-chosen images, with no titles, would have more impact - let the images tell the story. The exposure of the photos should be as close to perfection as you can get. Your company name also needs to be stand apart so it doesn't get confused as one of your signs.

I have a fair amount of experience sending out postcards to promote my illustration work. By sad experience I know it's a complete waste of money to send out something that isn't excellent.

Don't forget the back of the postcard. It's a perfect place for a list of your services.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am going to remove all the headings on the front and list them on the back. I have plenty of room on the back of the card. It's hard to remove any of the photos because most customers have to see something before they realize you do it. How many times have you received a phone call with the customer asking "Do you make banners?". I want to reach through the phone and slap them. [Bash]

I will repost a revision soon.

thanks all!

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

here is what I came up with for front and back. second revision. Please read and give me your opinions.

thanks again.  -

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry--

I don't post often, but this one strikes close to home; my postcards should come from the printer this Tuesday.

My first-impression/gut-feeling is I like it. Some folks may say it's too cluttered or busy. I say that's good because it gives the impression that you're good at a lot of different things. You might even get calls for stuff you don't do and that's good for whoever you refer them to. Referals and networking come of all my self-advertising efforts.

I think you should put your list back on the colored side, on the left, like webpage buttons;
it'll seem less chaotic. Wish I'd thought of that for mine.

Frank

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
folksy is fine if you have lots of room. But it dosent scratch the itch. The itch is more customers and a professional image.
Could you try this?

We will address these needs with you.
What you see on the front is just a fraction of what we do. Our professional sign development center has the skills and the latest technology to get you recognized bringing more customers and satisfaction today. We will produce your project using modern materials, large format printers, routers, paint technology and welding. All of which makes for the professional image that will bring you more business. Call now xxx-xxxx even if your idea is just a dream. We will help make your dream as successful reality today. We want to meet you so call me personally. -- Warmly yours, Jerry..
CAll xxx.xx FAX xxx..xxxx. www.ProSignDesign.com
Emai@prodesings.com

This is just a rough start. I hope it helps.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jerry,
I like the layout without the white text headings. If you do want all the work that is represented on the card then I say show it. But if you don't really do that much of a particular type of work then you could eliminate it and give more room to the things that make you more money.
I make banners too, as I'm sure most of us on this site do, but it isn't the biggest bread winner after seeing all the other things that you can do. Just a thought, but I like it. My wife thought it was too busy! She does my books so I didn't argue the point. Sorry.
Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, I don't have experience with mail-out advertising, so this is FWIW: I like the second version better, but as soon as you said "I hope this isn't too busy", I thought of Mike Stevens. I think he taught that seldom is a layout really too busy, usually it's not prioritized right. So I looked at the first and second layout with that in mind, and here's what I see:

I think your name should be front and CENTER, at least do something to stop it competing with the white of that monument sign below it. Do the squint-eye test. The white word deals don't have to be there. I'm working on a flyer right now that's for people who call wanting to know how much a sign is. It's like a three tier thing, only four. I'll use it to show them how I can design something different, and I hope sell them something other than the prevailing knockout blah.

This is my second layout of said project. The first one had typical looking jobs. The second one promotes me. For example, the first one had a real estate sign. Nice layout, phone number in a reverse panel, main copy said 5.4 ACRES for sale, something like that. New one has the same 4 x 8 proportion spaces, but they say things like:

Focal point signs

Has unique services

Mobile sign service

Window painting

Focal point design service.

So it's dual purpose, it shows different levels of design, and promotes my services. I realize your postcard is for a different function, but could some of the signs and banners pictured promte YOUR services??? The business card would be YOUR cool looking card, the race car would be with YOUR company as the main sponsor, etc.

Just a thought. I like what Curtis said, man, talk about cut to the chase! I'm making a reference to this thread, just for his comments.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now that I give it another look... I think a few more minutes in photoshop cropping out the background around the helmets, the trailer, the funeral home sign & the credit union sign would be time well spent. The other ones that fade out seem to look better, but those few have a noticable bit of background that doesn't need to be there.

I agree that you could eliminate some of them. The O'Conners looks like a nice carved gold sign, but IMO... most people won't see more then the fact that you do monuments & I think the credit union sign looks better in the context of a cluster of sign samples... also the race car, trailer & truck all show "vehicle lettering" capability, so I don't think you need all of them. The funeral home or Maple Farms probably show pretty much the same thing to the average client even though only one of them is carved.

I would also think about the changes Curtis suggested to the copy on the back. The digital printing... 21st century stuff, or the 4x8 CNC carving is interesting to us signfolks, but I think the clients care more about the end product & are less impressed with descriptions of equipment they don't understand. I also think something more interesting could be used instead of the "slash" between the signs/printing/lettering/etc. Also, I think I would say "full color" before I would say "large format" ...or say both.

Anyway, theres some more thoughts to toss around with all the other good feedback. One last thing, have you considered offering a promotional special on the cards? It could help you track the success of the mailing & give you an opportunity to
"appeal to the customers needs in the Headline" as Curtis suggested & lead them to want to look at the back of the card to learn more about a promotion mentioned on the front.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like where "your" logo sits.
Took me a minute to notice it. Where it is now, I first saw it as another work example.(gets lost in all the other logos)
I might go one line across the top ... so it stands away from the pack.
Maybe list services in a small text around the card as a border.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer your initial question...

I'd throw it in the trash.

I get this kind of postcard advertising all the time. I chuck all of them. In fact, I didn't wait long enough to see the cards you did before starting to type this response.
Business cards, ads in the local pennysaver paper, a good looking business vehicle and sign on your shop are far more effective.

These typically get trashed within a few minutes and are out of mind from then on.

my 2 cents
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry,
I have to agree with Ray. Don't waste the money and postage.
What you have there is a "shotgun post card" The old, "If I shoot into the crowd, I'll hit somebody." theory. And you probably will...but not enough to justify the time and expense.
Remember, you are in effect "going to the customer" so be customer specific with a post card. They are not coming to you. Post cards are so cheap today and minimums so low that you can easily afford to "target" them. Your Logo and great pics of monument, pole and way finding signs to every architect and home builder in the county. Your Logo and great pics of Helmets and Cycle work to every Harley and rice burner dealer in the county. You get the idea. The architect is very unlikely to be interested in airbrushed helmets, ditto the Harley dealer in way finding signs.
From my point of view, a better approach would be:

1. Get a decent color inkjet printer.
2. Design "Customer Specific" 8 1/2 x 11 color flyers. Full color front. General info on back.
3. Include in the mailing, printed small and large roledex cards with your information on them. You can get them inkjet ready at most office supply centers or through the web.
They are far more likely to be KEPT and used than a Post card. (Gee, where did I put that post card I got three months ago from that sign company.)

This method is more time consuming and more costly, but far more effective over the long haul. Post cards may get you some immediate buiness if there is an immediate need, but like Ray said, most will hit the waste basket.

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Let me see here. From true numbers.

The last mail out for me..
cost about $475..
results,,
couple of dozon tire kicker calls.
11 SOLID phone calls to date.
7 quotes
5 finished and paid jobs
Two in limbo with one of them more than likely to get ordered.
Figure out the advertizing costs.

Approximatly $6,759 worth paid of work.
then..
$475 divided by 5 jobs = $95 bux cost per job..
Well now, If you could spend $95 bux to get back about 1,100 bux thats pretty good odds.

Thats one top of what I already do.

Now I know how much it costs to get each job in advertizing. If I do this mail out every few weeks then I could expect a good average return over the long run. But it won't work for just one cycle.
So, I know I must add in about $95 bux per job in costs to my fixed cost overhead. Now I know how stupid it is to charge less for work just because I can. How much would my bizz grow if I could spend $900 per mail out and get about double the work verses doing a $475 mail out cycle.

--------------------

William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis,
Those are really top notch results for a mailing.

How many Pieces?
What type of Pieces? Post cards? Flyers?(Enveloped? Folded/Stapled?)

$1,300+ average isn't too shabby either. Can loose $95 in there easily if they are all over $1,000.

[ May 02, 2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: William Holohan ]

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

I don't go into the details much any more. Mostly because it don't matter.

What does matter is the message and how consistant you tell it. The message must be written to address the readers needs. It must never address your (the bizz owner) ego. The first thing that comes to the mind of the read when a bizz brags about abilities, equipment, awards is " so what"! Your desire is to trigger some action. Boasting about what you got will not trigger.

Yes, many are thrown away. Thats not the point. It don't matter how many are thrown away. All that mattter is how much response you get.

10,000 flyers costing 400 bux gets 5 orders @ $800 bux a order is 10 times the return. I'll take them odds anyday.

A lesson...
Domino's pizza never talks about awards, expertise or their fancy chain oven or ability. Their message is "hot fresh pizza in 30 mins or less".

FedX never talked about their huge fleet of aircraft or how wonderful the workers are. They just talked about getting your package somewhere over night.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!