Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Insurance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insurance?
Jerry Steward
Visitor
Member # 2420

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jerry Steward   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Steward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ashamed to be asking for such boring information here, but I need guidance on insurance coverage for a new sign biz. It will be a one man shop, all non-electrical, with installations on buildings, vehicles, etc. I'm just looking for the ballpark figure of what some of you pay for this type of coverage. Thanks!

--------------------
Jerry Steward
Sign&Print
Bethlehem, PA

Posts: 126 | From: Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i pay $616.00 a year...for 90k of contents/eqmt...25k money & security on or off premises mechanical elec & pressure sys breakdown(like i know what that is)...and a million dollar liability...happen to have my policy right here...payment due..lol

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry,
I don't have cost numbers with me but I can tell you what kind of policies we have.

Commercial liability: covers customers in the shop, damage to buildings during and after completion of the job, customer owned goods in our shop (not vehicles), pedestrians walking by a job etc. $1,000,000. coverage

Garage keepers liability: for customers vehicles in our care and control. Due to the price of some of these vihicles and the fact that we can have 2-3 in the shop at the time we carry $200,000.

Commercial auto: self explanatory, $500,000.

Property insurance: our shop and equipment, $500,000.

Umbrella policy: above and beyond the above policies: $2,000,000.

Health policies: for myself and my partner.

If you have employees: In our state, workmen's compensation and unemployment insurance.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Steward
Visitor
Member # 2420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Steward   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Steward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks, it really helps. Business planning for the next 72 hours.......wish me luck! I'm sure gonna need it.

--------------------
Jerry Steward
Sign&Print
Bethlehem, PA

Posts: 126 | From: Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, if you talk to an insurance agent & they don't sound like they have a clue, talk to someone else. When I went for my insurance, I told her it was a sign shop & she looked at me like I had 3 heads, she musta thought signs just magically appear. lol.

I had to explain what exactly I do and don't do so she could accurately give me a price. I don't do electrical so that dropped it a lot from the first price she gave me. I think it's about $300 a year or so for mine.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, I'm a 1 man shop too. I quite all the insurance crap. No more employees! 27 years in the business now. If I break something I'll just pay for it. Out here they want $1500 a year. Some people go broke following all the rules. Just my way of thinking, but it puts much more money in the bank. Enjoy it or don't do it. . . lifes too short. . . John

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Gastelum
Visitor
Member # 5341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Gastelum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hartford Ins is pretty good and decsent

--------------------

Posts: 79 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurance can be a major cost expense. I sure wish it wasn't necessary but I wouldn't operate without it.

We stopped insuring our tool while on road trips... as it became cost prohibitive - even with 10-15 thousand dollars of tools in the trailer and on worksites.

We still insure our shop and contents as well as carry a three million dollar liability policy. Some of our customers ask for proof on the bigger jobs.

Isurance has gone up dramatically over the last 5 years although it seems to be leveling off at last.

Our premium runs $3000 plus per year. Personal disability and truck/ trailer(s) insurance is on top of that. We spend over $6,000 per year on company insurance. And its WAY TOO MUCH in my opinion!

But the flip side is even more daunting in my opinion with the greedy folks and lawyers out there who would take advantage of no insurance.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only 1 million Public Liability? [Eek!]

You are lucky. Here you can't get a sign permit or put a ladder up on a public footpath without proof of $10,000,000.

Most shopping malls here want that much too!!!!

Fortunately, every June, my Insurance Broker puts together a "business package" which covers everything. Even includes the computers and data restoration. I have used that one ... saved me thousands. The broker also organises a single monthly payment for the lot direct from my bank account. Sure beats paying out lump sums and remembering when to do so.

So find a good broker. Mine is. He finds the best deals every year and only charges a 5% commission.

AND, if I ever have to claim, I just phone him and he handles all the paperwork for Free!

[ May 01, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our liability is $170 per month

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6722 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine runs $190 per month and health insurance is $390 per person every two months.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pub-liability $250.00 per year.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!