Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 1-shot and Chromatic price increase!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1-shot and Chromatic price increase!?
Dave Hunt
Visitor
Member # 4637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hunt   Email Dave Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got this note from my supplier.

1-Shot and Chromatic paints will very soon be increasing their pricing. I just heard the news that "some items may increase as much as 30%".

Anyone else heard this news? [Bash]

--------------------
Dave Hunt
Derby Line, VT

Posts: 157 | From: Derby Line, VT | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No but its not surprising.....for us as a supplier solvents alone are up that much just since januarary,and in the automotive industry there's a price increase on paint at minimum once a year arund march/april and most times twice a year...since one shot's parent company is a huge player in the coatings market trust me they arent gonna leave $$$ on the table anywhere,be glad it's taken them this long to get around to doing it.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not surprised. I haven't looked at the prices on my last paint order but I know aluminum, vinyls & foils have all increased at least once since January.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That might be a great opportunity for Ronan !

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've pretty much stopped using "sign specific" enamels ever since the formula change.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like our customers are ultimately the ones the crap will get dripped on......higher overhead, higher rates.

Is it the Oil thing? It is isn't it. Man o man am I looking forward to 100 dollar a barrel crude!

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well Tim, as far as the changed formulas, thats been done over and over since it first came out and is still evolving. Change is something not many totally change for. What I'm saying is that since formulas always change in the paints, how come the user always uses the same reducers and thinners they were taught to use back when they first learned their trade instead of learning what really compatible as of today.

So theres no lead in the paints, whats the big deal? Don't ya think that the resins and the new made up parts can be equal in longevity when persons realize they have to learn something new and use it?

Learning is all part of the curve balls we have thrown at us daily [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's still cheaper than vynull.... [Smile]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Thomas Greer
Resident

Member # 4566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Thomas Greer   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Thomas Greer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the Increase it will still be the paint of choice in our shop. Just charge the increase to the customer or pad the bill shall we say!

What is Ronan? Is that another type of Paint?
Never herd of it! HA! HA!

--------------------
Steve Thomas Greer
ABRACADABRA SIGNS & DESIGNS
102 Stanley St. Ayr, Ont. Canada

Posts: 602 | From: Ayr, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland Pinan
Visitor
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roland Pinan   Author's Homepage   Email Roland Pinan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They need to take their quality up along with their price!!!! I don't mind paying as long as you can feel confident in your work and it's longevity. Like Joey I too do most of my striping now with house of color. Still use a fair amount of 1 shot on sign projects with reservation. I spoke with one shot rep at dixie meet and they know they have a problem with raw materials.

--------------------
Cobra Pinstriping & Signs
907 E Skagway Ave
Tampa, FL 33604-1747
(813) 933-9096

Posts: 46 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland is right on. After many recent failures, I've switched to using Sherwin-Williams Industrial Enamels. No problems, and they can be computer matched, 2 blocks away (and cost HALF as much).

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland, I actually use alot of 1-Shot these days just to lengthen my time on this planet, without the catalyst of course. The one problem I don't have as with many here is flow, along with longevity as change is always an everyday occurance to keep up with the products I use. Thinners and reducers are the killers of longevity.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All things being equal, be prepared for some overhead cost increases in the near future.

Ever look around your shop and figure out how many materials you have that are manufactured or based on petroleum? It'll kill ya when you figure it out...

Paints
Vinyls
Solvents
Squeegees
Coroplast
Inks

...and a whole lot more.

Not too hard to figure out that passing the increase of material cost to the customer is gonna
be the way to go. Don't, and it'll be coming out of your profits.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Materials only equal about 10% of the cost of the typical vehicle lettering job, so even if vinyl doubled in cost, I'd only need to increase the total cost of the job by 10%.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!