Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Adobe IIustrator vs 11 question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adobe IIustrator vs 11 question
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Thanks for taking a look herein...my customer is having a problem getting me the proper version of an Adobe Illustrator-eps file. The latest version of ai we own is 10 and the file they provided is version 11. Any suggestions and/or help will be appreciated.

Oh, and the latest version of CorelDraw we own is 9...as I can usually convert thru it.

Deborah

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They need to save it in an older format.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Russ ~

I know, but some people own files but do not have the s/w or the ability to do what you want. I'm trying to roll up my sleeves here and be a/the solution.

Its supposed to be a file of a popular automobile.

Deborah

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Is anyone willing to take on the task of resaving the file for me in version 10 or lower? This is the nitty gritty.

Thank you.

Deborah

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had the CS version of Illustrator I would offer to do it, but I don't. Version 10 is my Illustrator version.

Is your customer having a difficult time doing a "Save As" to a different version?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
send it over, and i'll see what I can do...

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ,

Just a thought, but if Dale isn't able to convert the file for you, you might want to go to Adobe.com and download the free Illustrator CS2 "tryout".

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=27

You should be able to install it and convert the file.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, Glenn.

The tryouts have every feature BUT the ability to save or print.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Dearborn
Visitor
Member # 1461

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Alan Dearborn   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Dearborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deborah,

if you still need help, I have ver 11 (known as CS) and should be able to convert it for you.

To save a file in CS for an earlier version of Illustrator, you have to go to File/Export and select "Illustrator Legacy" and then choose which version of Illustrator (choices of 10, 9, 8, 3 or Japanese 3!?!)

--------------------
Alan Dearborn
Dearborn Graphics
Hampton, NH USA

Posts: 271 | From: NH USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Coplen:
nope, Glenn.

The tryouts have every feature BUT the ability to save or print.

Bummer.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if a program such as Omega or SignLab would be able to open the file and then export it as an EPS. Just a thought.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega cannot open an Illustrator CS file Glenn...it busts up paths into a million separate segments from my experience....

I always save them down to "legacy 8" versions and they open and cut fine.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Well, I just got into the office to see if any would work.

I'm running Omega 2.1 (build 21) and Signlab 7. Omega wouldn't open an Illustrator 10 file, but SignLab 7 did.

If someone would like to send me an Illustrator 11 AI file, I'd like to see if SignLab would open it, too.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Thank you all for your interest and help. I now have a vector file I can use.

Have a great weekend.

Deborah

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, you probably already got one by now... but if not, check your email.

BTW, I did just what you suggested w/ the trial version before I bought CS, & it DID allow me to export as a legacy illustrator version 10 file from the free trial.

IMO, Adobe's move to making the process of saving down so cumbersome is a self-serving money grabbing marketing ploy that bugs me. I can't really believe they had to do that, so I don't see any other reason but to make it more convenient to buy the upgrade then explain this process over & over to our clients. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Thanks for the file, Doug.

Well, I've tried everything I have here - Omega 2.1(21), SignLab 7, Coreldraw 11, and Freehand 10.

I'm sorry to say I had no luck.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got corel 12 and it imports AI 11 files. I don't particularly care to be purchasing upgrades every week so I wait a few yrs myself. Last corel was 9 and as far as I'm concerned I'm happy with it the way it was.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!