Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Bike Rallyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bike Rallyes
Sid Besserman
Visitor
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sid Besserman   Email Sid Besserman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone offer feedback on motorcycle rallye business for stripers. Are they worth the vendor fees?

--------------------
Sid Besserman
Sid Besserman Pinstriping & Graphics
Old Westbury,NY
Striper7@optonline.net

Posts: 46 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact STEVE KAFKA(www.kooltie.com)

[ April 25, 2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Bob Burns ]

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Fielder
Visitor
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Fielder   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Fielder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a bike rally person, I get more bikes in the shop and I can charge more. Anyway, I have been looking to do the NSRA NorthEast Nat'ls, but they want $800 for a 10' x 20' for the weekend. Not too bad if it is August or July, but it is in September and the weather up here is VERY hit or miss at that time of year. It could rain or snow or even be cloudy and from experience, rodders don't go out then. I haven't risked my money thus far, and the NSRA NE. Nat'ls has done without a striper for 2 or 3 years now. They won't even let you double up, or they charge you both $800. What a scam!

--------------------
Doug Fielder
Fallout Grafix
Port St. Lucie, FL

16 years with a brush in my hand...

Posts: 273 | From: Port St. Lucie, FL | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The smaller venues are a much better bet. The big events bring out the big name stripers and these guys really have their acts together, huge all weather tents, electricity, sound systems, bike lifts and on top of that they have a loyal following. Trying to break in at a large event is very, very hard. Another thing to have to deal with is the low ballers. There are a number of these guys out there too, they will stripe a full dresser in three colors for $75 and stay busy all weekend. The last big event I worked had six stripers, five did work really nice work, the hack charging $75 did more work in an afternoon then the other five put together did all weekend [Frown]
One other bit of advice, steer clear of any event that is strictly Gold Wing related. These are some really funny folks. They want you to "pay your dues" so to speak. They are very hesitant to spend money with somebody new. It usually takes a year of going to these events before they trust you. The open events and ones geared to Harley's are much better in this aspect.
The last event we worked we striped one of the hosts bikes in exchange for the booth space and as any body that has worked an event knows, nothing brings in work like a bike being striped. If you do decide to have a go at it, bring along some things to stripe, like panels, toilet seats, mailboxes .....anything to "prime the pump"

Good luck to you [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland Pinan
Visitor
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roland Pinan   Author's Homepage   Email Roland Pinan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with George,If you are going to work the rally stuff you need to make a committment to go all out and work alot of events.If you have a shop ther are usually free events you can drum up work and set appointments.20 or so years ago I was the only striper working gold wing rallys in Fla. for the most part and had all the work I wanted. I worked a couple of events about a year ago and did not do well,for the reasons George mentioned.Keep um long straight and tight Cobra

--------------------
Cobra Pinstriping & Signs
907 E Skagway Ave
Tampa, FL 33604-1747
(813) 933-9096

Posts: 46 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Johnson
Visitor
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sid I don't know if I should be telling you this butI have more fun doing shows then anything! You don't live near me do you? I don't do bike shows, I focus on street rod shows . My friend Russ Mowry does bike shows and we never get jammed up. The small, local shows are the best. You can advertise and show samples of your work if you're new at it , or let people know you're still on the planet if you've been around a while. The big shows are squessing every dime out of the vendors, especaily stripers. They think we are making to much money or are having to much fun I guess. I do better at my favorite show which has about 1,500 cars than at the NSRA Nats. with over4,000 cars. The key is get your act together before you hit the road . there are alot of things you need and don't need ,depending on what you want to do . All the other stripers are pretty cool and will help you out in a jam. I set up at York Pa. and save room for Paul Quinn and Jake Hutson We have a good time busting each other all week end not to mention working out our prices so everyone is in the same ball park. And don't BS or under cut each other, that will end any trust between you competiters. The main thing is to enjoy the people and the colored shapes and do what you want! Actually you would'nt like it at all, It's no fun at all. "Maintain" AJ

--------------------
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson Grafix
Blairstown, NJ
[URL=http://www.alanjohnsongrafix.com]

Posts: 261 | From: Blairstown, NJ | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Besserman
Visitor
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sid Besserman   Email Sid Besserman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a ton for the advice guys. I'm gonna hold off on the big gigs and save the huge fees and look for the smaller ones. This is my first inquiry on this site and I really appreciate this forum.

--------------------
Sid Besserman
Sid Besserman Pinstriping & Graphics
Old Westbury,NY
Striper7@optonline.net

Posts: 46 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!