Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - Best kept food secrets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - Best kept food secrets
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimberly's food posts make me want to turn into this domesticated kitchen queen! Food is such a fun topic isn't it? [Smile]

Here's my little food related secret. Whenever I grind fresh coffee beans, I sprinkle a dash or 2 of cinnamon on the grounds before brewing. Heavenly!

Got one to share?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I've been doing the weight watcher thing for a month, I'm thinking about low-fat & cal food. So far I've lost 9.8lbs in 4 weeks and I feel terrific.
I'm eating like crazy, just healthier.

My latest find is turkey bacon. I have a big honkin toasted bacon, lettuce & tomato just about everyday. I cook the whole package at a time and freeze some of it cooked in a ziplock bag. I sprinkle it on salads, use it in potatoe soup, omlets, whatever. It is 80% less fat that regular bacon, and its yummy! Sure doesn't feel like dieting!
[Smile]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, sounds yummy!

For anyone who would like to read more of my tips and recipes, visit my page at www.sfpnn.com/chef_raven.htm

(Yes, the picture is from years ago! hahahahaha)

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that Donna! I'm gonna try it. [Smile]

When boiling eggs, put a half teaspoon of salt in the water.....shells peel off like a dream!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone probably already knows this one but...

Marinate your steaks in Newman's Balsamic Vinegarette salad dressing for 24 hours prior to grilling - Oh MAN!! If you marinate just 30 minutes prior it's still pretty good, but 24 hours makes it reaaaaaaal good.

Marinate chicken breasts in orange juice before grilling.

Turkey is the "magic meat". [Smile]

Butterball Turkey breakfast sausage links or patties - awesome.

Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey sausage - really good flavor and not really too hot, although sometimes you run across one that's a little spicier than the others.

Jennie-O Mexican flavor ground turkey is good to use in your favorite chili recipe in place of ground beef.

Speaking of ground beef, have your butcher ground up STEAK for you instead of settling on the ground crap in the case. Steak makes for some awesome burgers, it's also leaner if you use lean cuts.

Beef Tri-tip. I never heard of it before moving to Arizona, apparently it's popular amongst Californians and for very good reason - Grilled or roasted nice and slow (a cut of it is around 2lbs and 2-3" thick) and drowned in balsamic vinegarett as above, this stuff is GOOD. Because of its popularity around here there's an abundance in the meat case at the grocery store but you other people may have to ask your butcher for it specifically. I think it's usually discarded.

Romaine lettuce, chopped apples, pecans, fetta cheese - makes one good salad when topped with strawberry balsamic salad dressing.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't ever grated parmasan cheese from a block you don't know what you're missing. The difference between that and the Kraft is like night and day. I won't touch the Kraft stuff anymore.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Del Badry
Visitor
Member # 114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Del Badry   Email Del Badry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met a 90 year old fellow in northern montana this past weekend,, unbelievable shape .... his secret.. waffles...

celery, brocolli,, carrots, apples , oatmeal, 7 grain cereal all steamed together,, then bleneded with pancake flour and made into waffles,

I asked him what he ate the rest of the day....
his comment "Cookies and Sh*t"....

my new way of eating.... [Smile]

--------------------
Del Badry
philmdesign
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Posts: 636 | From: Sylvan Lake, Alberta | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food is my 2nd favorite form of art. My favorite food tip today:Watch Alton Brown's show "Good Eats" on the Food TV network. I've learned a ton of very good stuff from him. And it's funny that he's from right here in Metro Atlanta.
I guess another tip would be: Eat organic as much as possible. The difference is measurable.

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alton Brown? That guy gets on my nerves! I do agree that I always learn something tho. [I Don t Know]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I can't stand most of the "TV CHEFS" but Alton is awesome - I'd rather have a root canal than watch Emeril. Alton really knows what he's doing compared to most of these guys. He does get a bit silly I admit which usually gets on my nerves but I love his show.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww! [Frown] I love watching Emeril!

He is a classically trained chef, but brings things down to the average joe level and adds a lil humor.

On the other hand, TV Chefs are more like the franchisers saying "Buy my francise, open a Quickie Shop and get rich!"

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ April 21, 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alton Brown ROCKS!!

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've discovered the local store that sells organic food and healthy stuff. All of the food labels are different, but once I got past that, I found some really good things. There is a noticable difference between organic and non-organic carrots. I have also noticed a difference in the taste of organic eggs, for the better. I think organic bananas are probably no different than regular bananas, but for many things there is a difference.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Woohoo! Call the presses! Tas and I agreed on something!!! LMAO!

J/K Barry. [Rolling On The Floor] [Applause]

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baked Stuffed Flounder cooked in a paper bag. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

OK Here it is. SI I knew Emeril would know about it, but it was a long time favorite at a restarant in Gretna.

Please sign in or visit our recipe database!

RECIPES | Finder:

Recipes

Recipe Search | My Recipe Box | My Info

EMERIL'S FISH IN A BAG
from Essence Of Emeril EE18

[ email recipe to a friend ]
[ display recipe in printable format ]

Ingredients needed:

6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
4 6-ounce fish fillets (such as pompano, scrod, snapper, flounder, grouper, haddock, tile, or sole)
4 tablespoons Creole Seasoning, or to taste
2 large yellow onions, sliced in rings
8 Italian plum tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Fold 4 sheets of parchment paper (16 1/2 by 24 1/2 inches) in half, and clip off 2 open corners, rounding them to create an ear shape. Open sheets (now oval-shaped) on a flat surface and brush each with 1 tablespoon of the oil. You can use aluminum foil, if you can't find any parchment paper, but the effect will not be as elegant. Sprinkle each fish fillet all over with 1 tablespoon of the Creole seasoning. Pat seasoning in with your hands and place each filet on the lower half of a parchment sheet. Top each with 1/4 of the onion rings and 2 sliced tomatoes; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 8 turns of the pepper, 1 teaspoon of the garlic and 1/6 cup of the basil. Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of the oil.

To close bag, fold top of paper over fish and vegetables. Fold bottom edge over top, folding and twisting until sealed all around. Turn package over and place on an ovenproof plate or place all 4 on a baking sheet. Brush top of each package with 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil. Bake until paper puffs up and turns golden brown, about 20 minutes. To serve, carefully transfer packages to plates, slit top with an Ax and fold back paper. Serve steaming hot.

Yield: 4 servings

[ April 21, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use water in pie crust, use milk.

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosemary
Visitor
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rosemary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you're making Pasties. Then you ALways use water. [Smile]

me

Posts: 764 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Pasties? Did you mean pastries?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee Whiz,
Pie Crust Pasties...

Sounds like a great geezer meal to me...

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

[Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh.. the trick's on you guys!

Up north, pasties are like.. I guess you'd call 'em meat pies.. maybe a pot pie, kinda similar.

Down here, pasties are what the ladies gotta wear if they wanna go topless in public. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Sartain
Visitor
Member # 241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Sartain   Email Karen Sartain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's all in the pronuncaition Mikie....pasties as in meat pies have a short 'a' sound (as in pass), the pasties in women's ..um..wear has a long 'a' sound (as in paste)

Karen the knowledgeable (I work with a Ranger from New Hampshire who actually cooks pasties for our get togethers...(the ones she makes are NASTY..which can probably be applied to either pronunciation come to think of it ..depending on how backward you are about nudity [Wink] )

--------------------
Karen Sartain,'Pisel' on chat
11699 E Hwy 181
Willcox, Arizona 85643

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey.We are spiritual beings on a human journey."-Stephen Covey

Posts: 336 | From: Chiricahua National Monument, Az | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emeril's ok, but after you have watched him a while the schtick gets old. Alton, very informative, but tries to hard to witty. (Good ideas and explanations though.)
Rachel Ray? Enough of the perkiness and by the way, use the word savory right!

Pasties were a staple for miners in the U.P. of Michigan. Heck, maybe both kinds were.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I cook a roast, or do pork chops, steaks, or grilled chicken . . .I rub Southern Flavor (A charcoal flavored seasoning) into the meat & pour zesty italian dressing over the meat and keep it in the fridge at least 24 hours prior to cooking . . .makes everything seem jucier and brings out the flavour...also use the juice from the roast meat to make rich brown gravy . . .

(Will have to try the baslamic Mike! [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emeril does use the same old cliches too much (should hire a comedy writer); Alton is a little strange but I always learn more than I thought I would. Jaques Torres is my favorite. Why? One word: CHOCOLATE! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_jt/0,,FOOD_9977,00.html

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Neurohr
Resident

Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Neurohr   Email Mark Neurohr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT!! All this discussion and no mention of

WOLFGANG PUCK!!??

I've been making his pizza for the last 6 or 7 years now since moving from California.

Since I can't buy it, had to figure out how he does it.

Try this: wolfgangpuck.com

Sorry Kimberly, but I needed to KICK THIS UP A NOTCH!!! BAM! BAM!! BAM!!

BTW, I have over 6 different kinds of Emerils Essence, Rubs and his BarbBQue sauces (all gifts, pretty cool huh)!

LET'S COOK!!

[ April 25, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Mark Neurohr ]

--------------------
Mark Neurohr "Ernest"
Paintin' Place
141 Sunnyside Road
Kittanning, PA 16201

724-859-0859
mneurohr3@yahoo.com

Posts: 992 | From: Kittanning, Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Ricky,
I LOVE Torres. He's a master.

My all time favorite is still Julia Child. Two of my most cherished possessions are my Mastering the Art of French Cooking and Baking with Julia both of which she personally signed to me. My husband was cooking breakfast for her in his restaurant back in San Francisco and she was gracious enough to sign them.

One of the things I loved most about her was the fact that she didn't even start cooking until she was 33. She came from a very wealthy family that had servants. When she was 33 she married Paul Child who was a US Diplomat to Paris. She needed to learn to cook so that she cook entertain guests for him so she went to Le Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris and the rest is history. A true case of - it's never too late to learn something!!!

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!