Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Fishbone or Cowfish?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fishbone or Cowfish?
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone I have been thinking about changing my business name over the past few months from the current Affordable Graphic Designs Co, as you can imagine the types of customers it attracts.
Anyways I wanted to have a really creative name as all the other sign shops around here have the usual standard boring names like fine signs, and prompt signs, and fast signs etc. I am going to change the direction of my company and do more creative signs like dimensional signs and with Dan Sawartzky's help I have started to learn how to work with concrete as well.
Ok so I think I have narrowed it down to two choices. The first one is Fishbone Custom Signs and Graphics Co. and the second one is Cowfish Custom Signs and Graphics Co. The tag line for my company would be "Be different, stand Out!" So which of the two names do you guys think is better or should I forget both of them? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Fishbone sounds neat to me. I can imagine having a lot of fun with fishbone images. Cowfish, on the other hand, conjures up nothing but weirdness [Smile] :

-

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a place near hear, design firm, known as Graphic Tuna. The article in the paper had them saying it really helped them stand out in their customers minds.

I visit a site on the web called the Half Bakery http://www.halfbakery.com/ where people put up their whimsical or serious inventions and then people vote on them. Unfortunately you get fishbones for no votes and croissants for yes votes. So, "Fishbone" has a negative/rotting image in my head. But I bet you could still pull it off.

And I like Russ's CowFish. Whynot if you are going after the more unusual work.

[ April 21, 2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Philip Steffen ]

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about...
Who-Leo Design
CA-Julio Design
Designs & Signs, B.C.
Looks Good Tome
DesignEdge
Conceptic Design
KleptoGraphic
Hair-Brained Designs (along the lines of HalfBaked)

I don't know, but Fishbone or Cowfish, don't quite cut it. Don't make the public think TOO much.
Play with some words.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet Bakewell
Visitor
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet Bakewell   Author's Homepage   Email Janet Bakewell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great sign business in Ponoka, AB a few years ago - Half-Fast Signs... say it fast! [Big Grin]

I like "Fishbone".

--------------------
Janet Bakewell
One Sun Grafiks Inc.
Slave Lake, AB Canada
www.onesungrafiks.com

Posts: 128 | From: Slave Lake, AB Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fishbones does nothing for me. But it has got me singing
"fishheads, fishheads, rolly polly fishheads. fishheads fishheads, eat them up, yum."

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet Bakewell
Visitor
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet Bakewell   Author's Homepage   Email Janet Bakewell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laffing... what are you on, Kissy? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Janet Bakewell
One Sun Grafiks Inc.
Slave Lake, AB Canada
www.onesungrafiks.com

Posts: 128 | From: Slave Lake, AB Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fishbones are known for getting stuck in your throat...not the kind of memory I'd want to conjure up.

Cowfish on the other hand gives you an instant opening as a conversation starter & a memorable amusing one....A1 !

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Sore Thumb Graphics"
(Stands out like a...etc etc)
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"fishbone" doesn't lend itself to a "neat" image by itself...

but imagine this...

out in front of the shop you build a steel/concrete sculpture.... a skeleton of some GIANT prehistoric fish.. a species that you invent...

That would really catch some attention and you could make up some kinda fun story behind it.

I think that would really set you apart from the rest without lookin' like a cheesey roadside attraction (Cowfish?).

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Mike's Idea... and a multitude of design ideas come to mind instantly! It would certainly be eye catching and MEMORABLE!

I would do it in heavy rusty steel... like the monster sign we did.

Its time to give your new welder a workout!

A smaller version parked on a rack on the back of your truck combined with some far out graphics on the sides would create an instant lineup for imaginative work, and price wouldn't be their first concern.

GO FOR IT!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had similar ideas about fishbones. A fish skeleton can make a great silhouette, and there are a multitude of possibilities - especially in 3D.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounding fun.. you are brave, here's a few from off the top of my head:

Fishtale graphics
Flying Fish enterprises
Homecow creations
Flying cow ....

now take a trip to the Seattle fish markets and watch them throw fish around, that will get you in the mood!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a fish with a steakbone in his mouth...

...that might be a fetching ideas.

I'll go away now...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!