Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » lacquer thinner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lacquer thinner
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Yates   Email Stan Yates   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went dow to the local wallmart to day for some supplies,lacquer thinner being one of them and it was almost ten dollars for a gallon. its gone up almost 3 dollars in the last few weeks.any one got any sugestions on where to get it cheap? I then stoped by the licquer store for a bottle of bourbon for medical purposes and thought it would almost be as cheap to clean my brushes in bourbon.

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308
Waldo FLA 32694 crocodilecreeksigns@juno.com

Posts: 85 | From: waldo. fla | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no more cheap for lacquer thinner......first off the only one that was really inexpensive was a crap grade one that was probably 50% by mixture of lord knows how many times recycled and mixed with other stuff,sprayable grade ones have always been $10-$13/gallon. Since december,solvent prices have jumped somewhere between 60-65%,conviently blamed on being manufactured with petroleum byproducts. 5gallons of clean up thinner used to cost us jobber price of $11.32,as of 4/1/05 that same 5 gallons costs us $19.88 at the jobber price. Days of cheap thinner are gone

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stan, what kind of brushes are you cleaning with laquer thinner??

It is very harsh and damaging, and really dries out badly, most all kinds of brushes, no matter how much you oil them down even . . .the hairs will never be 'right'.

Please switch to one of the good Creme cleaners often mentioned here or at least mineral spirits. You will notice your brushes performance, and 'feel' will improve greatly.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, Stan, I only use lacquer thinner on those hard-case brushes that are almost beyond saving.
My next investment is gonna be one of those cleaners like Joey & Magoo use.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always heard it was bad to clean brushes in laquer thinner. Since I switched to urethanes a few years back I was pretty much forced to use laquer thinner to clean brushes with . I never saw a damn bit of difference in brush life or performance. Oh yea, they also say urethanes kill brushes. It just isn't so. I've got a Lazer Line original head that was used daily for three years striping with urethane and cleaned with laquer thinner and is still in fine shape.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forgive them George for they do not know what they do

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goerge, how do you paint 'eurethanes' with a brush??
Are they reduced with something slow?

Even when I use touch-up brushes to hit hardware with auto-paints, I clean those with mid-temp which is only slightly less harsher than the laquer thinner...
I guess I hate laquer thinner so much due to the way it drys my hands out, and will eat paint, but it's excellent for certain cleaning.

I'm amazed that it does'nt dry your brushes out and make them 'brittle' George...
how do you store your brushes and do you use the 'vibrating cleaner machine'??

(Jill, I wanna get or make one too!)

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Yates   Email Stan Yates   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the week ends I airbrush tagsand then hand letter the peoples name on them, so im constantly switching colors what i use is 3 small can s the first 2 with lacquer in them and the 3rd with paint thinner this process has worked good for melike i said i might clean the brushes 100 times in a day.still might try the bourbon and see how it works

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308
Waldo FLA 32694 crocodilecreeksigns@juno.com

Posts: 85 | From: waldo. fla | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shelia, urethanes work totally different than enamels. You can letter with them one stroke style but you can't do any "built up" work, they pile up pretty badly. I have done truck doors entirely in urethane, ya just gotta work quickly and choose the proper letterstyles.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my town the place I get lacquer thinner, delivered, at $ 20.15 for 5 gal. is called:
Auto Paint and Supply.

Since I, almost, no longer screen print, I no longer need 5 gal. a month.

And, though I admit to having cleaned my brushes in it, and oiled them afterwards, I don't do that as much any more either......

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

George, I know about spraying the eurethanes as a background finish & clears, but have never thought to try to letter with them...

(Mainly due to an initial bad experience before I ever really got in sign-biz where I tried to letter a truck with Centari... [Eek!] LOL!!)

Thanx for the info anyway!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila you can letter with centari,its just practicing with a new material,reduction is different etc. People go on all the time about how you cant do it with acrylic enamel or acrylic urethane,but some of the best looking work you'll see on boats is with rolled or brushed Awlgrip...nothing magical about it its just a plain pretty much generic grade acrylic urethane like you would buy to paint a vehicle,despite the degree its overpriced. Matthews and Grip Guard are the same things as well.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Plus.....theres a big difference between the lettering urethane george and joey are talking about and acrylic urethane.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myra and I are on the same page.

Lacquer thinner isn't very expensive if you just look around. We ordered two five gallon cans today from Sherwin Williams. The cost for both was $52.00.

Isn't is nice to have a forum like this where you can cross reference prices!

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

sorry,but "knowing where to look" is just a way of saying let me see how many places i can call till i find it $2 cheaper.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere

roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Rapid Remover to clean brushes.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Georges nothing beats lacquer thinner to remove the very last bit of paint trapped in the ferrule.

I remember when I had my sign shop I was often leaving the brushes full of One Shot on the work table all week-end and on monday morning I was putting them in lacquer thinner for a few minutes...I never had any problem doing that.

And sometimes it's cheaper to dispose the brushes than losing an hour trying to clean them.

For me, that VIBRATING CLEANING MACHINE sounds like an "as seen on tv's" product or an april fool! I have to see it at work.

I have tried House of Color urethane last summer for stripping my brother's car. Flows as good as One Shot and dries way faster. Dries so fast, sometimes the brushes strokes does'nt have the time to disappear.

Life is so good!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rapid remover in one of those "vibratin" machines
works good to clean brushes
and airbrushes too
it wont dry out the seals like lacquer thinner

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Joe...where the heck are you guys buying your thinner and why don't you look around.

I just got 5 gallons thursday...cost? $23.bucks

I'd be only too happy to move that on to you for $10.00 a gallon! [I Don t Know]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For me, that VIBRATING CLEANING MACHINE sounds like an "as seen on tv's" product or an april fool! I have to see it at work.
Pierrre. It really does work. You aint lived until u see just how good it does work. It's been tested and retested by several here. It works. You use a jewelry sonic cleaner .. atlast a one quart size..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!