Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Easy node clean up with Corel 12

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Easy node clean up with Corel 12
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya 'Heads,
I know this has been discussed here many times, but I don't recall ever seeing a simple solution.
You know the problem, when you apply a contour to a shape in Corel and you get too many nodes on the outline?
Well, heres a down and dirty simple fix....
 -

You have to break the contour apart from the original shape. From there use the shape tool and select the nodes you want to clean up. Then apply curve smoothness. Hope this helps!

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cool, time to think about getting version 12...

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian..Just to add to what you said. If the object and contour are "curved shapes", the smoothness tool will yield even better results if you first select all the nodes and change them to "curves" AND "smooth nodes" before using the tool.

Just an addition to your excellent suggestion. [Smile]

[ March 28, 2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8884 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That option was available on 10 also.

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
works in Corel 11 as well

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corel has had node-reduction since Version 8 at least. But they keep putting it into different places. Perhaps to enhance our Thrill of Discovery when we try a new version.

As Dave said, it helps to turn contour nodes into curves, and smooth, before reducing. If Corel can't think of a way to eliminate that extra step, I wonder if someone can make a script?

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually this curve smoothness slide bar does not work properly on my version 12. They had it in version 9 and it worked well. I figured that you could go to setting 14 on that sliding bar with good results in 9, but in 12 you can't go past the 3 setting. Unless I have a bum version or need to change a setting somewhere. (WHERE) I have tried changing the nodes to curves and using the smooth command as suggested by Dave. But going to even setting 3 distorts the outline. Some fonts work on the 3 setting and some get distorted if you are trying to clean up nodes using the contour command in 12. If I don't use the node reduction I won't get a smooth plot on my Graphtec (I plot from Corel.) It's been frustrating and I posted about it before. I had to put version 9 back on and begin the process there and then transfer the image into 12.

Since I am still a plot guy and haven't gone to a digital printer, I haven't been able to use some of the unique qualities of 12 and have been disappointed with it. It's inconvenient to go from 9 to 12 just to smooth a contour without distortion. If somebody can help out, let me know. I have already tried everything mentioned above and have found better results with outlines by using the "Change Outline to Object" command.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill...I, too, find the smoothness slider to be kind of iffy. And I agree that converting outline to object is a more accurate way to go. But in actual fact I don't really worry too much about reducing nodes on contours. I find that the excessive nodes don't slow down my cutter much anyway.

A much more useful tool to me are the Oberon Curveworks scripts that will automatically put a tiny curve on the end of those sharp cusp nodes that can cause huge "flyouts" when doing a contour.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8884 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Dave, I use that Curveworks and round curves on everything. I like that program and want to thank you or whoever suggested getting it. Sometimes that program will give an "End" command when rounding a complicated shape and I have found that welding the shape to a rectangle and then breaking it apart and then using the round feature works, but don't ask me why. I found out that welding scripts and extruded shadows to rectangles and then breaking them apart and pulling out stray nodes works for for plotted outlines.

I wish my plotter would straighten out the little jags on those outlines on the contour feature in 12, but it doesn't. Graphtec may have a smoothing feature I'm not aware of.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I'm cleaning up an area in Corel I select all the nodes in that area, then deselect the nodes I want to keep by holding my shift key, then delete. This gets rid of all the unwanted nodes.

With experience, you will know which nodes to keep to maintain the smoothness of the curves.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!