Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Anybody do freelance design?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody do freelance design?
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After working in big shops for the past four years, the pull of returning to entrepreneurship is strong. Yet I don't want to go back to a full-blast sign shop. I'm too tired.
Does anyone do design work for others?
I would like to talk to you.
Thanks.

Brad in Kansas City

[ March 24, 2005, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Brad Ferguson ]

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup! That's all I do now. I also worked for sign shops for 6 years. I still did a little bit of freelance design work on the side then started getting alot more interest in my design skills. Decided to go on my own 5 months ago and give it a shot.

Haven't looked back since and I am a heck of alot happier now.

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevo is da man!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Dana and I do design work also. We can do anything from a hand lettered script to full blown digital files for you.

Give us a call.

BTW... Stevo IS a good designer.

but so am I... Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can play with you guys too!

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can Bob, yes, you can!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im goona run with the big dogs too... someday!

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meow...

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Aww, Frank, you telling us you are a pussy cat? Me thinks not... Hahahahahahahaha!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies.

My employer and I have now officially parted company. Although I will miss the union scale and the steady paycheck, I will keep the excellant insurance going on my own.
The issue with my employer was my value as a designer full-time as opposed to a shop guy.
I may or may not do freelance design for him. We may be too far apart on price. He does not put a high value on design. Design hours are part of his office overhead. I've never seen them on an estimate sheet. I suspect many big shops work this way. I'm not really grousing, here. I chose to work for them and knew the score going in. I actually thought I could help them develop a reputation for good design in the Kansas City area. They simply aren't interested. They don't see a connection between good design and bottom line.

I've worked for three big electric shops, now, since walking away from my business in Arkansas. There has been a definite pattern in big shop thinking on design, at least, in this area. Each hires young people out of 'design school' assuming they can produce quality sign layouts. These designers actually are skilled, but only in the use of the design software (invariably Adobe Illustrator). They are not so much sign designers as keyboard operators. They are able to produce voluminous quantities of renderings on a daily basis. But their eyes glaze over when you bring up subjects like negative space. Makes you wonder what the hell they do all day in design school.

At any rate, I'm thinking to be a designer-only now. I know all the moves out in the shop (except glass blowing), but after 30 years I'm damn tired and would rather sit behind the computer. I could call myself a consultant and wear nice clothes.
Geographically, I'm in the middle of a good sized town, so a narrow niche should be do-able.
Basically, I'd like to talk to some people who are already doing this.

Stevo, I have some specific questions for you if you can talk sometime.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Fisher
Visitor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Fisher   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Fisher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Ferguson:
...These designers actually are skilled, but only in the use of the design software (invariably Adobe Illustrator). They are not so much sign designers as keyboard operators. They are able to produce voluminous quantities of renderings on a daily basis. But their eyes glaze over when you bring up subjects like negative space. Makes you wonder what the hell they do all day in design school...

Brad -

Ain't that the truth!

You're living in a incredibly active design community. The Kansas City AIGA Chapter would be a great resource for what is going on in the region. It would probably be worth your while to check out their local events schedule. Your talent, skills and professionalism should be welcomed by many potential clients. I'd recommend honing your business and marketing skills as you head out into the world as an independent designer. Another valuable resource would be the Creative Latitude site - lots of great articles on the design business and many other resources.

I've been doing the independent designer thing for most of the last 27 years. Feel free to contact me via email if you want to "talk" about the biz.

Best of luck - Jeff

[ March 26, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Fisher ]

--------------------
Jeff Fisher
Engineer of Creative Identity
Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

Author: "Savvy Designer's Guide to Success" from HOW Design Books

Posts: 32 | From: PDX :: OR :: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,
THANKS!
Brad

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!