Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » XY-300P plotter comments?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XY-300P plotter comments?
Jean-Claude Theriault
Visitor
Member # 966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean-Claude Theriault         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone - I've gotten fed up with outsourcing my vinyl work while I try to get my home-based business back up and running. Everything has gone wrong, from the vinyl not being properly cut to the last time which saw the sign shop go behind my back and contact the sign customer directly to underbid me has made me sit down to make this decision.

I've secured $1500. (canadian funds) to buy a plotter and software. The only 24" cutter that falls within that budget is the Master XY-300P
from Desay Canada Inc.

The only difference I see between the Master model vs. the Lynx from Signarehouse.com is that the Master one uses stepper motors instead of servo motors. I can live with a bit slower cutting speed and a bit more noise that comes with the stepper plotters but wanted to know if anyone on here had any experiences, good or bad, with the XY-300P model.

I've got experience with the WINPC Sign software and even used one of the first versions when you had to load about 10 floppy disks in the 'old' days [Smile]

So I'm not too concerned over the limits of the software but am hoping that this isn't a plotter that is going to burst into flames on the first cut.

As for pricing - it's $1199.00 (cutter/stand/software) plus shipping and taxes for a total of $1397.93 Canadian with a one-year warranty.

Thanks for any replies! If you want to reply off the list then my correct email is jc_theriault@hotmail.com

Jean-Claude

--------------------
South End Signs
Jean-Claude Theriault
Halifax, NS

Posts: 172 | From: Halifax NS | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean-Claude Theriault
Visitor
Member # 966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean-Claude Theriault         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh.. I overlooked another possible source for a plotter in Canada - Corbin Graphics.

I checked out the Raven plotter on their website and called to see what kind of package deal was available. He is able to work with my budget and I'd prefer to deal with an established Canadian company with some good feedback as shown on their site.

Another bonus is that they speak english [Smile]

Jean-Claude

--------------------
South End Signs
Jean-Claude Theriault
Halifax, NS

Posts: 172 | From: Halifax NS | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing wrong with getting a low priced cutter. However:

Just a few weeks ago several of us worked on a problem for a user that bought another brand of low priced cutter.

One chatter spent at least 4 hours researching and tracing out web sites just to find some kind of data to get that cutter running. In the end it still is not running at full capacity.

There is a roadblock that very few people are familiar with the way data is handled with certain cutters. They use non standard commands that make it impossible to operate with common cutter software. It won't be easy calling to asking for tips or tricks or help because not many people know about the nonstandard commands or the nonstandard reversed commands. Suppliers may say it is compatible but not 100%

You can get a very nice full featured name brand used cutter for a really good price. Just look around. They are every where. All you have to do is contemplate and pounce when you see a real deal come along.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Master xy300p plotter from Desay Canada that I bought exactly one year ago when I started my business. I have not had any problems with this machine, it works great and seems to be very well built. The only draw back as you mentioned is that it is a bit noisey. I also do like the software that is bundled with it, winpcsign letter, the auto black and white vectorization works great. Now for a juicy bit of advice for you, while I was checkin out e-bay I noticed quite a few of these Master plotters being sold brand new on their by a company under the user name of dcsign. I thought it might be desay canada and noticed that they listed a 800 telephone number for more info, and you guessed it, the number is the same number as Desay, and the dcsign stands for Desay Canada Sign. Anyways they have the xy-300p listed on e-bay with the same package including software and stand with a buy it now price of $699 US or $843 Canadian witch is like half price. Just scroll down to the picture of the plotter and underneath it you will see the buy it now link. Hope this helps..Here is a link to one of the listings, they also sell them in other sizes.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26245&item=7501382741&rd=1
Let me know what you decide!!

[ March 17, 2005, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Julio Tome ]

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah,
I just bought one of these for $499 with the stand and the software. I hope all goes well.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a good deal Dawud

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope so, Someone told me to check to see if the software came with it because it sounds too cheap...btw...thanks for the price,
It pushed me to "do the right thing"

heres the one I bought, anyone have anything to say about it? good or bad. I want to know what i'm dealing with here, so far the price is right , but I hope it does the trick for me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-vinyl-cutter-plotter-cutters-cutting-sign-w-Flexi_W0QQitemZ7592131056QQcategoryZ26245QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ February 21, 2006, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Dawud Shaheed ]

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
id like to know how good it runs,, hope it works out great for u

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

I'll let you know...

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!