Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT: Some unsettling news (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: Some unsettling news
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

During the past few years, Mike (hubby) and I have had many difficulties in our marriage. Alot of it stemmed from illnesses on his behalf and his lack of coping methods.

It came to light about a week ago that Mike decided it was time. I was unprepared for the announcement as I thought his health was hugely improved, he finally landed a wonderful job he loves, I started decorating again because I felt great... you get the picture.

We are in the middle of a separation. I knew it would happen sooner or later but I was abit unprepared for the sooner. I am desperately trying to save the farm if I can via an investor or ? If I can't, at least I tried.

My goal is to stay within the same area we live. Cody's school absolutely is tops and I love the quiet natural surroundings.

No matter where we end up, we will be ok. I just felt it was time to get use to saying it rather than dreading it. And so you hear it from me first.

Thanks for your support in just being here. It keeps me highly entertained which really helps right now. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, all I can offer is prayer and unsolicited advice. I'll stick with prayer on both your's, Cody's, and Mike's behalf.

I have been through a divorce of my own and can only imagine what is going through your mind right now. Be strong for your son.

Hey, Dana and I are here for you. Feel free to call.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you well Donna.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of the news Donna! Those things are always tough!

If you need a break, come on out to the ranch... that'll distract you and Cody for sure!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless your heart lady. The guys a loser in a big way just based on looks alone. (Always thought your were a very beautiful lady, and I mean that respectfully.)

So sorry for where you are, and our hopes are definitely with you.

Just know that, for what it's worth I know there is a whole crew of folks here pulling for you!

Keep your head up. You're gonna make it.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, I'm here for you too. Email me if you ever want to talk, and I'll be happy to call you with a listening ear.

I know how scary your situation is right now, but you and Cody are going to be fine.

Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are a talented and classy lady, and a great mother to boot. Look at this change in your life as an oppertunity to re-focus your direction, both personnal and career/business wise. Feel free to lean on us, Letterville is a wonderfull community.
Take Dan up on his offer, he'll definitely keep you distracted from your problems...

A good friend of mine, a big burley roofer type, once said
"I quit drugs. I quit drinking. I quit smoking. Then I discovered why I started all those things to begin with, so I quit being married.
My only regret is the order I choose to quit things in."

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well good luck, just keep positive and try to get through being depressed it is the worst part.
Just an idea maybe if you have some of your farm paid off instead of selling to split your assets have it apraised and maybe keep your husbands half instead of him paying child support right away. One other thing in this day and age more and more people are getting divorced it will be best for both of you and your child if you get past the blaming and fighting and be friends. People mirror behaviour even without trying if he is in a bad mood it causes you to be in a bad mood and that is what gets reflected back try not to be a mirror and you will see that it will prevent a lot of bad fights. Anyways that's my 2 cents worth of advise.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for you Donna...it's not easy.

My wife is great and I wouldn't want to be without her, but she's my third.

It gets better, just hang in there.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what to say....lean on family and friends for sure. Don't be afraid to unburden your heart here. Laurie and I are here for you too.
Bless you and Cody, I want to meet that boy some day. [Smile]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Perkins
Visitor
Member # 296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Perkins   Email Mark Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Donna, I was blindsided myself five years ago....it's hard to start over but if I can do it anybody can.

--------------------
Mark Perkins
Performance Signs &
Graphics
Eunice, Louisiana
"The heart of Cajun
Country"

Posts: 506 | From: Eunice Louisiana 70535 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,
I can totally identify with that 'transistion' . . .

It was always helpful to me to take notice of all the positive things that can occur from such a circumstance . . .

you know.... no more:

butting heads . . .
black eyes . . .
broken dishes . . .

(I did mean literal head-butting . . .)

It's also helpful to weigh the good and the bad...the good things can outweigh them by far:

No more physical contact . . .VS . . .no more physical contact

No more holding hands . . .VS . . .no more 'hand to hand'

No more yelling, screaming, complaining, griping, nagging, accusing, . . .VS

. . .serenity

PS: Be sure to exploit the 'single working mother' thing ...lots of fringes & help available. . .we ain't sqeezed all the juice out of that orange yet! (lol) [Big Grin]

LOL . . I'm just kiddin' about all this. . . . .

kind'a . . . .

But I hope I made you laugh . . . [Wink]

In all actuality, who nows, after a while of this separation time, while both of you re-assess life(small word covering huge dynamics) you might discover that your two people better together than two people apart. . .

[ March 09, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear that Donna, I've been blessed with a long marriage, but it does take two to make that work.

Keep your chin up, keep being you for Cody.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,

My heart goes out to you! I will do as Bruce and keep you in my prayers.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said above, Donna...but I did want to lend my support, for whatever it is worth.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really sorry to hear that Donna, and I also hope Mike finds what he is looking for.

You seem like a wonderful Mother, so I'm sure the two of you will work together to make this as easy for Cody as you can.

You can vent to me on the bad days too, if you like.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been through two divorces involving three small children,
I can tell you that it is imperative to make yourself happy, and take care of your child.
Peace of mind is priceless, even if it comes by ending a struggling relationship.
Try not to bad-talk your hubby to Cody.
Try to remain positive.
At least you have a ton of people here who care about you.
Good Luck in your endeavors, Donna.
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna..I am very sad to hear this news.

We, like several others, have been through a divorce. It isn't easy and especially so for a child. But we got through it and I know you will.

If you need someone to talk to just call, or if you want e-mail. Shirl and I are more than willing to return your call and hopefully offer any advice or comfort we can.

Keep your head up Donna, life DOES go on.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Del Badry
Visitor
Member # 114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Del Badry   Email Del Badry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad to hear that Donna.....

--------------------
Del Badry
philmdesign
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Posts: 636 | From: Sylvan Lake, Alberta | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,
Sorry to hear this news,Donna. Keep your head up..we'll be here for you.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, always remain positive [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,
You started your post with a sad face & ended with a smile! I sense that while blindsided a little, regarding the timing,... you seem to have known this day was coming. I hear you worried about saving the farm & keeping that lifestyle & familiarity for cody & yourself.

Since I don't hear you asking for advice, I will not offer any. I have also been through a divorce with a young child as so many others have, & when you need it... there will be plenty of valuable lessons you can benefit from through those who may have shared similar experiences.

I sense that you are already pretty strong in your self right now, & not halfway as fragile as many men or women might be when something like this is a complete surprise, or if a person doesn't have a career to remain constant in their lives.

Thanks for getting it out in the open so you are that much more resolved in your own acceptance now that all those "many more doors will open" [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to what most everyone else said. If you do end up leaving the area move down here and we'll start the Mommy Sign Co. or something together.

Hang in there and call or email whenever! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll never understand a man or woman wanting out of a marriage that could be salvaged, particularly when there's a child involved. Sadly, it sounds like Mike has decided for all three of you that it can't. I've been through that and it feels so unfair and helpless, it SUCKS. It took me four years to realize the problems were so deep that perhaps my marriage would have ultimately failed anyway, but I sure would have appreciated having a chance to try, and a voice in the final decision. It's a sad way to go.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, so sorry to hear the news.

Keep the faith, and keep your spirits up.

You will survive this, and somehow things will seem to work out.

Try to keep in mind all of the things you are blessed with.

Good luck,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Thanks]

BTW, I invite any advice. Generally one doesn't even need to ask for it to get it here, so fire away! Learning is a good thing. I'm pretty open minded.

I'm not looking to save the marriage btw. We are going to move on. We've been down this direction many times over the years through councelling etc. When one continues to be unhappy regardless, it really puts a dent in the whole family unit thing. I know in my heart it needs to go this way but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

Give your spouses and kids an extra hug tonite, just because. Thanks again for the kind words of support.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, on the advice topic, I would encourage Mike to continue to be involved in Cody's life for Cody's sake. I don't know what either of you have in mind for that, but it would be best for the boy IMO.

I was doing joint custody for over 10 years. It's not always easy, but now I no longer have to deal with my ex, & I will admit it was difficult having to deal with her (& the feeling was mutual to say the least) but my relationship with my daughter is excellent & I think she has benefitted from having me in her life in addition to her mom, who was an excellent mom.

The quality of that connection with my child today (at 25) was well worth the trouble in having to deal with her mom over the years.

Regardless of weather that is what Mike wants today, or your feelings about that, I would just say to keep that door open even if he doesn't want to be involved right now. And to say again what was said above, even though it's obvious, about keeping the more tense parts of this transition as far from Cody's sight as possible.

If I could change one thing about my first marriage, it would be to have gone our seperate ways sooner, so that the erosion of any remaining potential for civil friendship had not been permanently spoiled as it was. This fact was what made the joint custody so much more difficult to arrange & implement.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Donna sorry to hear about you and Mike.

Take Grampa Dan up on the invite and head out to the ranch, buy yourself some Chocolate and enjoy [Smile]

If there is anything we can do just let us know.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,
It is always sad when any relationship ends. But there is no sense going through this wonderfu world unhappy.
You are a very positive person. With your great attitude, you will make things work for you and Cody. I wish you every happiness that I know will come to you soon. I'm here anytime...
All the best.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I big time agree Doug. I've been reading divorce advice (oh so fun) and it suggested to actually enforce visitations even if the spouse needs to be 'reminded'. It's so important for the child to have a relationship with both parents, unless it's an unsafe situation of course.

So much to learn... I'm working on it!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this Donna. Having been through a few of these myself, I can't ad much to what has been said already. Jill's comments pretty well echo how I feel. IT WILL get better [Smile]

In the meantime, my only advice is get a GOOD lawyer, lookout for yourself and Cody and whatever you do, trust ONLY in yourself! I know that sounds harsh, maybe cruel, but divorce can get really nasty without a moments notice. Loved ones have a way of really suprising you. Expect the worse out of your spouse and prepare for it. Take it from somebody who got bit cause they trusted somebody.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are thankfully happily married, still newlyweds at the end of our twelfth year together, so I don't have personal experience with what you are dealing with, but I have a lot of second hand experience, and I have worked with and observed a lot of kiddos in the situation yours will shortly be in, and there are two main emotions that most often surface; GUILT, ANGER or both.

Both are nasty, so watch out for them. I have seen children, (my wife was one of these) come from a divorce scenario and grow up, thinking it rational to believe that they are somehow to blame, and could've, should've fixed things for mom and dad. That's crazy, but my wife struggled with that till she was nearly thirty.

One of my boys has a little girl that bothers him a lot at school. She doesn't like anybody, or so it seems. She's the product of a particularly nasty divorce. I know both parents. Dad's a tough guy state patrolman, and mom(I went to school with her) is a snippy, self-absorbed female dog. Daughter, beautiful girl BTW, is left a lot to fend for herself emotionally.

She takes her anger at mom and dad out on any and everybody else. I know for a fact that this is giving her a lot of trouble at school, not just with my boy, either.

Good luck, I hope you guys can each keep the kids in perspective. I Know a lot of times us guys especially are bad to make the children into either pawns to be used vindictively, or into nuisances to be given only cursory attention.
Hope that doesn't happen here.

Men can suck that way. (Some women too.)

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I raised my daughter from adolescence. And besides having to learn a lot of stuff that I never really wanted to know much about, a big challenge for me was not feeding into the resentment & confusion that she felt regarding her mom.

I tried to be honest, but positive, and I made sure that she kept some semblance of contact, even though she hasn't seen her mother in about four years.

It's been a tad awkward at times (picture one dopey looking dad in a room full of moms at cheerleader booster meetings [Eek!] ) as well as taking her to her first "girl doctor" appointments and such. But we got through it ok.

Hillary is in college now. And she's a respected youth leader in Venturing (a coed, Scouting program).

Despite all of the ups and downs, I wouldn't trade places with my ex for all the world.

Didn't mean to bore you with my own story, just wanted to show that things have a way of working out for the best. Especially if you tend to lean towards the positive, which you seem to do naturally.

Lean on your friends a bit. That's what they're for.

You and your boy will do ok.
Best of luck.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
donna, look at some books by JOHN BRADSHAW...lot about right/wrong relationships, pain from bein in bad relationship, pain of gettin out of one. joy of finding out who and what you really need...
i been 3 times removed....and have been with hennie 22 years....so i wasnt as bad as the other 3 made me out to be.....hehehehehe but ive learned a lot of whys....thats the most eating question....in seperations.....dont dwell there.

[ March 10, 2005, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, it's what you call 'a tough time in life' sorry to hear about that. Later on you will mark it down as a chapter in your life. No it's not easy, but you seem like a strong woman. As you know only the strong survive!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't offer any advice, but I can assure you there is a lot of love and understanding here for you. Thanks for sharing a tough time in your life: hopefully, we can help make it better.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've knwon you for years here Donna. You are one of my special friends, even if we have never yet met in "real-life". Or have we? Maybe you were the check-out girl in the Mission supermarket when I lived in Abbortsford back in '75?

Like OP I'mm third time lucky. Sue and I have been together 14 years. First marriage split up after we decided we were too young not to go our own ways. Cheryl is still a very good friend and actually came an stayed here with us in Australia last year! Balancing spouse and ex-spouse was sotta a new experience to say the least. But all turned out kewl.

2nd marriage and the resulting son that I love dearly broke up after 5 years when I found she was looking for greener pastures. Ever check the discard letters in the trash can?

Anyway it was messy. Left me cold with 1/2 of what I owned, including documentation of all my company's transactions while we were together, plus a credit card bill you wouldn't believe and a 4 year old son. Raised him until 8 with $50 a week alimony from her. Then she remarries and wants him back! Mother rules!!!!
Lawyer said after $5000 worth of fight,you going to win but how much can you afford?

Now he's 21 next month. Super nice kid. Love of my life when he phones every Sunday. He's in the Army and loving it. She's not to bad now either. Time has mellowed out the anger. Going to be interesting at his 21st Birthday Party soon!

Life goes on Donna. I know you will find somebody else to fill the gap. Don't rush. Settle down and work things out. It is possible to be a single-parent and survive and enjoy life!

Corey is yours! Hang onto him. Kid's need at least one "whole" parent in life. Not two halves!!!

Property-wise ... split it down the middle as easy as possible. Courts are money and time consuming. Hang on to the farm if you can, cause that will give you and Corey stability.

Promise I will "visit" one day

Love
Jon

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alphonse Dente
Visitor
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alphonse Dente         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,

Ditto to what most of these other folks have said. I admire you for having the courage, and the faith in your friends here, to share. When my second marriage failed recently(and I've determined it didn't really fail, rather, I failed it), I got through it with the help of the "Three F's", Family, Friends and Faith. I had to come to grips not only with two attempts at a conventional marriage going south, but also with my own relationship preferences. I'm still in learning mode (but then, aren't we all?), but I'm healthier now than I've ever been.

I can tell you first hand, that talking it out, and not keeping any demons locked up in your heart or soul is like getting that first breath of air when you've been underwater too long. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

-Al

[ March 10, 2005, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Alphonse Dente ]

--------------------
Alphonse Dente
Dente Design
Henderson Harbor, NY

Posts: 59 | From: Henderson Harbor, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Donna, I'm really sorry to hear that this Morning, I Have 3 sisters that went through a divorce, with children, and it all came out just fine. Hang in there, things will get better and easier over time.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to hear of your situation...i'm sure its very difficult to go through and having to possibly move.
you are a great mom from what i can see and that's a giant plus for cody.
there's bigger and better things ahead for you! the universe will take you where you're suppose to go. take care of yourself...try to eat healthy and get plenty of sleep...and if you can get a prescription for adivan do it....it takes the edge off when you feel overwhelmed...but hey i'm a prescription drug queen so only do what feels right for you. fine chocolate sometimes can have the same effect btw. [Wink]

[ March 10, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!