Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » With a little(ok, a LOTTA) help from my friends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: With a little(ok, a LOTTA) help from my friends
BrianTheBrush
Visitor
Member # 1298

Icon 14 posted      Profile for BrianTheBrush         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three and a half years ago, when friend and fellow automotive artist Paul Straus and I sat down to lunch, and hammered out a plan to try and raise some money for a bunch of deserving kids in Western New York; never in a million years could I have imagined how far it could go.

This past Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in conjunction with Andy Sackett/Show and Cruise News' Cavalcade of Customs Car Show, a dozen and a half of us raised $12,500.00 for the Center for Handicapped Children/CHC Learning Center.

And yes, you read that right. $12,500.00

Striping, lettering, flaming, gilding and otherwise embellishing anything show attendees could carry through the doors of the show, and holding two auctions of previously completed pieces; the following people jointly made a miracle happen:

Bruce "Dr Cas" Bowers
Dana "The Rocket Signtist" Bowers
"Peter Gunn" Cangemi
Tom "Tomar" Warner
Christopher "Zee Man" Zelasko
Terry Buzcak
Luke Scanlan
Bruce "Hot Air" Rosier
Ron Brent
Mark "Slam Graphics" Matyjakowski
Bob "Grumpa" Timmerman
Dick Taporek
Tramp Warner
Mike "MJ" Van der Voet
Clint Kiedel
Ronnie "Ron D Voo" Lasker
John Hodgins
Paul Straus
Myself

Additional Painted Pieces and Panel Art were also contributed by:

Bill "The Wagonmaster" Miller
Jim Prohaska
Jim Pelleiter
Big Joe Sulpy
Unkl Ian
Howie Nisgor
Alphonse Dente
Sandy Hoffman
Dave "Letterman" Jeffrey
Cory "Trunk Monkey" Jeffrey
Jim "Jimmy Shine" West
Matt "Atomic One" Burfield

Our asses were kept busy by the Coordination and Collections Department (I promised not to call them "Counter Girls" anymore)

Cheryl Zelasko
Margaret Straus
Paulette Briskie
Anne Timmerman
Amy Lasker

And of course, our guest auctioneer and his lovely wife, all the way from Flushing, Michigan, Chuck and Jeannine Leighton.

Andy Sackett and his cast of several were as gracious as hosts could be, and a sincere tip of the hat to John Davis, of the Don Davis Auto Group for their generous support and unwavering dedication to this cause.

On a personal note, just prior to the presentaion to CHC, I was able to publicly recognize someone who has become a real inspiration to me, CHC Facilities Manager Mark Gentz, who's everything a human is supposed to be. And thanks again to Paul, Ron and Terry for working with me to honor Mark.

And finally, Thank You to the car people of Western New York...for everything we do would amount to nought without their support and generousity.

I'm still wipin' tears of my cheeks and One Shot offa my boots. Thank you all.

[ March 07, 2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: BrianTheBrush ]

Posts: 465 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks back at ya!
For one of the most rewarding weekends to add to my memories.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, Although I was not a part of this benefit, I'm proud to be associated in any way with events of love and generosity like this! Thanks for doing it and thanks for letting us know, and thanks for letting us know in such a humble and gentle manner.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianTheBrush
Visitor
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianTheBrush         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Rick, working with the caliber of people I worked with all weekend, is very humbling and very gentling.

A side note if I may...

Unlike many similar fund-raising, "charity" events, there is no promoter involved in our project, nobody takes a cut of the proceeds, and nothing comes out of the jar for food or travel or lodging. We also discourage self-promotion at our event (nobody's handing out business cards, noone has there own banners, etc.), as that's not what we're there for.

There were no egos, no conflicts and no regrets that I'm aware of.

Posts: 465 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a moment Saturday night that truly touched me...

A young man purchased a plastic car body from one of the venders at the show and brought it over to the corner to get it lettered and striped.

He emptied out his pockets and literally nickled and dimed his total up to five bucks. That was all the kid had.

So Terry Buzcak stripes this cool spider web on the hood and roof. Then he hands it off to me to letter "Black widow" on the sides. I did "Black" in 1/4" high script and "Widow" in 1/4" UC roman.

When the kid came to get his car, he asked Paul Straus to meet the guy who did the lettering. He stuck his hand out and told me that the lettering looked like it was printed on it was so clean and it far exceeded his wildest expectations of what he was going to get. He must have thanked me at least four times for such a kicking job.

It felt like I was absolutely buzzing, man. It was exhilarating. I could feel the hair on my neck standing up from the tingling. To have this young man seek me out and thank me for a job well down was incredible.

That moment will last in my memory for a goodly long time. I still can't stop smiling just thinking about it.

That is what this show is all about. The raising of needed funds, the smiles on the people's faces., just the overall joy of sharing time with you'ns all.

Brian and Paul, thank you asking Dana and I to come play. You can count on us again, that is for dang sure!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Stevo and I come to play next year?
Sounds like a worthy cause.
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Ellis
Resident

Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Ellis   Email Dawn Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, this is a truly inspiring fund raiser. Thanks for sharring and kudos to you for being an integral part of it. I felt warm and fuzzy just reading about everyone's experience. I'm sure all the folks who contributed had a great time.

--------------------
Dawn Ellis
Signs by Dawn
Long Beach, CA
signsbydawn@aol.com

Trust yourself. Listen to the voice within. It is always right.

Posts: 456 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke Scanlan
Visitor
Member # 2481

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Luke Scanlan   Email Luke Scanlan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a truely gratifying weekend. Thanks again, for letting me be a part of it. $12,500!! I still can't believe it. That's great!

--------------------
Luke S.
Luke Scanlan Artistry
Ocala, Fl.
lukescanlan@cox.net

Posts: 249 | From: Ocala, Florida | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy to see you back at Letterville. Just today I visited your website and found it and your work very exciting.

Can you ever forgive me [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only wish we could have made it back on Sunday as well, to be there for when the final count was announced.

When Peter called last night to let me know the total, I about flipped!!! WOW! I'm really happy I can say I had a little tiny hand in that!

We will have to plan out the weekend a little better next year, so we can be there more.

It was great to see everyone again! Thanks for all the good food, too. Especially for the fruit and veggies! I snarfed down plenty of those!

See ya next year!!

- Dana... the flower lady...

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
couple of my crappy pics ... of the "candy counter"
 -

-

-

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most every piece I see there would be something I could treasure. Humanity is given a gift by the art created and some kids get a gift from what happens with the money. An example I'd want to emulate.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the pictures Mark.

Hey, Brian... can you get Paul to post some of the photos he took, too?

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to all of you, it is nice to see something positive and productive Keep on Keepin on Brian the Brush, you are doing good out there

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianTheBrush
Visitor
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianTheBrush         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana,

The pictures that Paul was taking, much like the pictures Paulette was taking, were with film cameras. I don't think Paul has a scanner, but I'm sure he can send me prints. Paulette is taking ours in tomorrow.

I had my digital in my bag all weekend, but alas, I have the attention span of a gnat, and everytime I set out to get it and shoot a few, I got sidetracked.

I will check with Jan from CHC Learning Center though, to see what she got.

Again, it was a priviledge working with all of you for such a worthy cause.

B the B

Alphonse Dente
Visitor
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alphonse Dente         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an email from Tramp, and he said that my panel sold for $75.00 without even going to the auction. I couldn't be more thrilled.

Next year, I promise I'll send a few more!

My hat is off to those who arranged that event.

-Al

--------------------
Alphonse Dente
Dente Design
Henderson Harbor, NY

Posts: 59 | From: Henderson Harbor, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way cool Brian! Awesome event and worthy cause!!

If ya do it next year, I'd be honored if you'd give me the chance to contribute a little something. [Smile]

(BTW, thanks for your email the other day... Actually made my afternoon! Sorry I haven't responded personally to you before this.)

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!