Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Baseball helmets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baseball helmets
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Yates   Email Stan Yates   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I painted a walmart baseballs helmet the other day with 1 shot.I wiped the helmet off with paint thinner with some lacquer thinner in it. usually this does the trick as prep for spraying the helmet but this time the paint didnt stick good at all u can rub it off with your finger. id like to hear how others prep a ball helmetr for painting. any one care to share what they charge for helmets ? i know there are a lot of varibles in the pricing.

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308
Waldo FLA 32694 crocodilecreeksigns@juno.com

Posts: 85 | From: waldo. fla | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Stan,
Greetings. I just did a couple of plastic baseball helmets with American flags on each. What I did was to first clean them with Rapid Prep, tape off the paint area, scuff with a scotch brite, and sprayed the area with Krylon Fusion for plastic. Then I airbrushed the artwork on with 1Shot. When I finished all that, I cleared the entire helmet with Krylon Clear, being sure to only "dust" the 1st coat. Proceeded to add 2 more coats of clear. Came out really well, and all paint stuck tight. I don't usually deal with plastic and paint, so I decided to try the Krylon and it worked great to base it.

Good luck, Kristie

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we get to see the helmets, kristi?

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sure Don, If'n I ever figure out how to do that...hehehe.

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R T Thomas
Resident

Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R T Thomas   Email R T Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stan,

I don't know if you are airbrushing these or not. I do airbrush them and I probably do around 50-100 of them a year if not more.

I first get rid of most of the stickers that will come off easily. If they don't come off easily just paint right over them.(Most are gonna stay on forever anyway). The way I paint these things I can't spend much time on each one. I scuff with an ultra fine scuff pad, wipe down with Rapid Prep and Rapid Tac and paint with airbrush acrylics. (createx, aqua flow, etc.) then clear with a good rattle can brand. I personally like Rustoleum.

Like I said, I don't spend a lot of time on them because they are usually only being used for one year anyway and will be beat to all hell in the first few games.

Baseball is big business in this area and most of the kids want a new helmet from year to year. I charge a flat $25 just to touch one. I do quite a bit for that $25, but I limit them to just a few designs. If they want anything other than my standards I price them accordingly.

Hope this helps,
R.T.

--------------------
R.T.Thomas,AirDesigns/Sign And Airbrush Studio
rtart1@earthlink.net

Hattiesburg,MS 39401
Shop 601-584-1000
Cell 601-310-5901
Proud supporter of LETTERVILLE!

"Ahhhhhh.......Juicy Fruit."

Posts: 547 | From: Hattiesburg,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kristie, If you want to email pics to me, I can put them on my webspace and show you how to post them.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Yates   Email Stan Yates   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks kristie and RT .Ill have to get some og that rapid prep. yes I airbrush the helmets with flames or what ever they want. Then i hand letter the name on.

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308
Waldo FLA 32694 crocodilecreeksigns@juno.com

Posts: 85 | From: waldo. fla | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didnt i see here somewhere you can use a heat gun or heat with a butane torch..the area you want to paint on the plastic....the high heat gets rid of the chemical in the plastic that wont let paint bond to it....or iam i just crazy????? now i opened that door....hehehehe

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R T Thomas
Resident

Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R T Thomas   Email R T Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP........that's true, but what it does is it gets rid of the mold release agents they use when molding the helmets. I find that Rapid Prep does that too and so I quit torching them a couple of years back with no detrimental effects.

See ya, R.T.

--------------------
R.T.Thomas,AirDesigns/Sign And Airbrush Studio
rtart1@earthlink.net

Hattiesburg,MS 39401
Shop 601-584-1000
Cell 601-310-5901
Proud supporter of LETTERVILLE!

"Ahhhhhh.......Juicy Fruit."

Posts: 547 | From: Hattiesburg,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You a smart guy R.T., I just can't beleive that "torch thing", takes too much time and dosn't get the plastic clean.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!