Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Digital camera,4 sign photos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital camera,4 sign photos
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for camera under $200. to take pictures of signs, truck's etc.

Any knowledge of the Cannon power shot A510, 3.2 meg pix, optical zoom 4x

$199. at Cir.City, said I could get a wide angle lens for it for $60. sales guy said it would help for good close ups of truck doors, etc.

know nothing about camera's,Any thoughts pro or con?

Thank's...

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with digital cameras has been with Canon power shots.
I had one, the specs described are just about right. I utterly loved it. The software with it is excellent.
I have now upgraded to a 5 mega pixel power shot.

Photography is my hobby on the side. I would not put up with a camera that slows me down.

The Canon power shots, along with excellent software to catalogue and save your pictures, have been my choice.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an A70 canon
It takes excellent photos
and its easy to use...

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sony Cybershot 4.1 w/ Optical and digital zoom. Nice package, about $250

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how you feel about ebay, but you might be able to bump up a step or two, staying in your $200 limit.

I have a sony FD200, which I like. But I would think you couldn't go wrong with Canon. They've been making cameras for a very long time and know what they're doing. Same I'd say about Olympus, Nikon, Minolta, etc.

I got a Sony because I could transfer pics via floppy disks. At the time, my computer didn't have USB. If not for that factor, I would have looked at the established camera companies.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several 35mm SLR's (top notch cameras), and I am not a purist, so here is my limited digital veiw:

I have a Sony Cyber Shot 1.3 megapixel that is about 5 years old. I have literally shot 2500 + photos and I love it.

I have not seen a digital shoot well with a zoom (grainy looking), so if a zoom is important, please shop carefully. There has to be a good one out there.

Personally, I would say, try to buy a camera with a physically large lense (gathers more light).

Anything with a Carl Zeiss lense (Canon's I think) are the best opticts Joe Somebody could buy.

PS: if money were no object, I would get a Nikon DX 2 (12.4 mega pixel) cha ching $$$ [Smile]
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25215

Just my two cents.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

[ February 27, 2005, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Artisan Signs ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rene st-pierre
Visitor
Member # 4116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rene st-pierre   Email rene st-pierre       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know canon an sony are the 2 great line of product
i have 3 kind of canon product an i like
the more easy way for take picture an fast still be digital
c-ya

[ February 27, 2005, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: rene st-pierre ]

--------------------
rene st pierre
quebec city
canada

red & white 81 forever 666

Posts: 290 | From: quebec city | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Fuji S5000 I think it was around $399 a year ago. I love it. It's big like a regular camera but I like it that way. Those little cameras are hard to hit the correct buttons.

I've taken pictures from it, cut out sections from software at home and had 8.5" x 11" prints made and they looked pretty good with no pixelation. I haven't tried the actual picture itself but I am sure it would be fine.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically this is like the sign software and plotter recommendations on this board, whatever they own is the one to get.
Ask people and they will tell you their totally objective findings and research on the subject. Right.

Show me a camera that doesn't do acceptable work and that would be the exception.

Now I have to go over to Dita Mallon's topic on sign software and weigh in on that. [Wink]

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catalin Dretcanu
Visitor
Member # 4136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catalin Dretcanu   Email Catalin Dretcanu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend a 5Mpx camera.
You can see some reviews and prices at http://www.dpreview.com/ or http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm
My gf just bought me a Kodak 7530 digital camera with 5.2Mpx and Dock6000 included in pack for 249USD+sale taxes from www.compusa.com

--------------------
Catalin Dretcanu
TIPART GROUP Ltd
www.tipart.ro
Address: Bucharest, ROMANIA
Phone: +40 722 621 512
E-mail: catad@yahoo.com

"Do or do not...there is no try"

Posts: 83 | From: Bucharest, ROMANIA (Europe) | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good insight, David. I think you're absolutely right, too.

Let's try something different and see if David's idea works better. How about everybody offer all they know about any camera BUT the one they know and have used. No doubt would be more helpful and above all, much more accurate info than the posts here so far.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent, the most important info you included in your post was that you have a spending limit of $200. You're not going to get much for that.

That being said, I'd look at the most megapixels for under $200. Try to stay with a brand you know, like Canon, Kodak, etc. If you don't recognize the name, best idea to skip it.

If all you want is a digital that will take pictures of storefronts and vehicles to draw designs onto for customer approvals, you'll do fine. If you want a camera that you'd also like to use for taking pics of the kids, vacations or nice sunsets, you'll eventually regret that you didn't up the ante to at least $350 or 400.

--------------------

Scott Pagan
Visitor
Member # 2507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Pagan   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Pagan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another Canon A70 user here (A75 is current model #). i love it and it's great as an all-purpose use camera. get a good memory card. look for fast speeds to enable you to reduce the delay between shots digital cameras are infamous for. i use a 256mb at 40x.

--------------------
Scott Pagan
Admark Graphic Systems
Admark Motorsports Graphics
9700 Metromont Ind Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28269
www.admarkgraphics.com

Posts: 325 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent, for $200 you can't beat that Canon A510. That's a brand spankin new camera just introduced January 20th of this year, and Canon has a habit of putting nicer features into new cameras than their older, much higher end models have!

You won't need the wide lens to shoot truck doors. Sales dude is just tryin' to upsell, but it's nice to know there are other lenses available if you want more versatility.

3.2 Megapixels is plenty enough to print 8x10's of your work and retain sharp detail.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!