Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Customer Responsibility... or mine???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Customer Responsibility... or mine???
Devin Fahie
Visitor
Member # 3961

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Devin Fahie   Author's Homepage   Email Devin Fahie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a great customer, who has an existing sign frame made from 6" I-Beams. At this point we have done some sign on this frame for him. He would like to add more, and I am concerned about the I-Beams carrying the weight, mainly because of the wind factor. He is located on a lake, it gets very large wind gusts (90+ at times). When I let him know that I was sending a engineer down, he declined the offer and does not want an engineer to survey the sign. He stated that these signs were very important, and he would sign a waver assuming all responsibility (his idea). I called my insurance co., who gave me advice to write up an "Hold Harmless Agreement", that would put him responsible for anything that happens to the signs/sign frame, etc. Has anyone else ever done this before? I'm a little nervous about doing this, at the same time I do not want to jepordize my relationship with my customer.

--------------------
Devin Fahie
Sebago Signworks
Rt. 302, Raymond, Maine
207-655-6622
devin@sebagosignworks.com

Posts: 96 | From: Raymond, Maine | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[For Your Information] It is funny how a relationship can change once the sign blows down. Then it is your fault and insurance companies go to town. In order to keep good relationships, sometime we have to do things like "hold harmless" waivers, especially when you are in doubt. Just the fact you are worried should be enough for him to be ok with signing waiver. Don't trust friendships or business relationship over responsiblity for a sign. Now, if he installs it....

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devin

We cannot even hope to forsee everything thst can happen to a sign over it's lifetime. I have seen a variety of situations, as have most of the people here.

As sign people, we have to use our knowledge to do the best job we can with the resources currently available. After that, there's not much else we can do. Have him sign the paper, and hang the sign. 90 MPH winds will take down lots of signs.....perhaps even a new one.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3510 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You never know - the sign may have been put up illegally in the beginning. Bring in an engineer and next thing you know he's in violation and must remove altogether. He'd sign anything to stay under the radar.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin,
Quote: "He stated that these signs were very important, and he would sign a waver assuming all responsibility . . ."

This is a paradox . . .if the signs are 'so important' seems like he would go the way of an absolute best course towards insuring that they are egineered properly...hello, by submitting his thick skull to an engineer . . .

Why do so many people think they're 'saving' money on something that's going to end up costing them 3 times more to remove the damage, repair & replace??? DUH!

I done seen in person what straight out strong wind can do . . .and I'm impressed [Razz] . . .it WILL tear stuff up, turn over 100 year old water oaks, and remove roofs . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have an attorney draw up papers, have him sign it and do the sign. This isn't jepordizing anything. It is good business. I carry "Product Liability Insurance" for years. Say you install a hanging sign over a sidewalk. 5 years later it falls on some one. You are in trouble! I would look into it!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you've heard the old adage, "Get it in writing." Agree with Tony; get something legal drawn up, have him sign it. Friendship or long history of good customer is no longer viable when it comes to lawsuits or damage claims. C.Y.A!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a case like this, I always let the customer look after the install. Keeps everything nice and simple. I make sure invoice shows supply only.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 629 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!