Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » transfer tape, your favorite..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: transfer tape, your favorite..
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind I'am fairly new at this Vinyl stuff.. I have been using Tranfer Rite high take and it seems to be very good.. but is there any others you might recommend for most applications? I have a couple rolls here that is adhereing to itself along the edges.. is this because it's going bad? I bought it maybe 8 months ago and stored it properly ( in a bag)..

[ February 20, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel ]

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

peeweepinstriping@comcast.net www.signspeeweedesigns.com

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alphonse Dente
Visitor
Member # 4993

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alphonse Dente         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TransferRite all the way. Mostly 1320 series, high tack. Tried R-Tape recently and there was no comparison. (I actually threw out the R-Tape).

--------------------
Alphonse Dente
Dente Design
Henderson Harbor, NY

Posts: 59 | From: Henderson Harbor, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transferite is great tape, a little tip about types;
"high tac" is for small detailed work (fine cuts,lines or points).
"mid tac" works well in most average size applications.

The larger the vinyl, the less aggresive tape necc. (lots of bonding area there)
the smaller or more detail needs aggresive tape (not much surfase to bond to)

keep it dry,out of the air, and out of sunlite.
The older it is, the more aggresive it becomes.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R-TAPE CONFORM....best all around....also i keep 1 roll of 12" clear, for the jobs when i have to layer vinyls....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always used Transfer-rite High Tac for everything. They say it creates extra work for your self trying to remove large pieces onfleet graphics, but I need the exercise anyway [Smile] .. & they say it is not suggested for use on edge prints, especially the first hour or two after printing, but I always use it anyway, right after printing... no problems yet. The sticking to itself problem is one I've had a lot lately with some other layflat" brand someone talked me into trying & I ended up throwing away about 20% of the 12 rolls I got. Finally using up the last roll now & I got about 16 rolls of the H-T Transfer-Rite stuff coming any day now.

hmmmmm, that reminds me, Sara Bogue has some new "Stencil-Rite" product I wanted to get a sample of at the USSC show. Anybody tried that stuff yet? Use it like a paint mask, comes on a release liner & cuts on a plotter.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transferite Hi-Tac. I get a full log cut into two 2ft rolls to fit my weeding bench.

Also have a 12" roll of Transferite Clear. Had it over ten years now and it's still good!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonzalo - Here's why your transfer tape is sticking together at the edges:

You are buying it from a distributor that is "baloney slicing" it to your size preferences. Baloney slicing is notorious for "smooshing" over the edges and pushing the adhesive along with it.

It costs a little more, but you're better off asking for stock size factory (supplied from Transfer-Rite or R-tape) cuts....ask your supplier what sizes are available pre-cut from the manufacturer and you'll eliminate this problem of sticky edges.

Transfer Rite is top notch in my opinion....although I do use R-tape often...they have a brand called Conform which stays flat to the liner where no vinyl is present...so you don't have the "curling" edges problem that can cause a bunch of self sticking issues when you're carting around a stack of ready-t0-apply graphics.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the roll picking up some moisture is a likely source of the problem. I've been buying my transfer-rite in 48" lengths cut to my specs, for 10 years & I've only had that type of sticking-at-the-edges issue about 2 or 3% of the time.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug....moisture may account for some issues, however, a former TR employee is a good friend of mine...and "baloney cutting" by distributors with not-so-sharp blades or cruddy equipment is the bulk of that problem....

this guy knows everything there is to know about transfer tape....and some stuff you don't want to know... [Smile]

Take a kitchen knife (dull butter knife) and put some pressure on a roll of transfer tape very close to the end of the roll...and observe what happens.

You'll notice that there is a lot of "give" in the underlying winds of tape and you'll push several winds of tape toward the core.

Now imagine a dull, unbalanced baloney blade spinning very quickly and coming down on a roll of transfer tape like a Dewault chop saw....the dull blade cuts more from friction than sharpness and "smears" one wound layers contents on down across the edges of the underlying winds of tape...thus, effectively gluing them together.

I too, have had only periodic problems of this nature....but I am assured that is the cause.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

If the bonding of the outer layer, with one or more inner layers is clearly originating at the very edge, your scenario sounds highly probable, but in my recent troubles with the "layflat" brand, the outer inch to inch & a half is delaminating as I unroll the material & the inside, adhesive-coated, half of the tape is sticking to the next layer down. This "bonding" is clearly pre-existing well into the roll from the edge, at an irregular amount, like you might expect from moisture absorbtion.

I've dropped a roll of tape where the edge hit the corner of a table & even when the outer layer was not ripped, I've seen such a dent or ding encourage a trouble spot that causes glitches in unrolling that DO originate at the edge. When this happens without me dropping the roll... I'll now know the dull-balony-blade theory is to blame [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Ahhh....I see what you're talking about now Doug...yeah, that sounds like a different animal.

And yeah, the dreaded corner smash is a big headache! I usually see this from UPS...the box is tossed around and smashed all to crap before you get it...you pull out the roll, and no-surprise - the tape is in about the same shape as the box it shipped in.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Ron Wakefield
Visitor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Wakefield   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Wakefield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R-TAPE CONFORM gives me a warm fuzzy. [Wink]

--------------------
Ron Wakefield
Signs by Ron
Southington, CT
ron@signsbyron.com

Posts: 71 | From: Southington, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I took a razor blade and cut about a 1/16" off the outer edge and it worked .. I shouldn't say cut, more like shaved it ain't pretty but the roll now can be used.. thanks guyz!!!!

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like R-Tape Med Tack , But use R-tape clear quite a bit, If your like me you'll reuse the clear 2-3 times once and a while, I have used transferrite before but not sure why i dont use it now? I guess i'll order a roll and try it again to see..

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Todd, poor equip. or poor maint. is usually the "edge sticking thing".

Doug, sounds more like moisture or maybe just not so fresh tape ?

The other thing I have seen is when the tape was applied to the vinyl and left on for more then a few days, this (after a few days) starts to bond more aggresively (maybe a chemical outgas situation) causing stronger then normal bond to vinyl ?

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

hmmm... what could be "more like moisture" then the "moisture" mentioned in both my posts? [Smile]

(the layflat brand was bought from a reputable supplier, & I think a fairly recently aquired "house brand" but although it did not sit around aging on my shelf, I really can't say how old it was when I got it, all I can say is I will never order it again)

--------------------
Doug Allan

roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

I don't carry a degree in english lit. and admittedly don't always spell perfectly, and probably form sentences poorly at times.

I was agreeing with your 2nd. responce to this thread, was it that difficult to understand?

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Sara Bogue
Visitor
Member # 3227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara Bogue   Email Sara Bogue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the edges stick together, often there are "glue balls" on the ends of the rolls, it is indeed from being baloney cut with a dull blade, or too quickly. When the material won't unwind, or is delaminating the paper, it is an adhesive formula or paper problem, sometimes complicated by a machine issue (being wound too tight).

Roger had the tack explanation just right - the higher the tack, the smaller the letters. Application tape has a long shelf life of 30 months. And you shouldn't have any problem with Edge prints or leaving the vinyl masked with the paper products for days or weeks.

As far as curling up from the edges of the liner - try TransferRite Ultra - that's been formulated to stick to the backing paper.

If you ever have a problem with TransferRite, we want to hear about it. You can contact your supplier, or us directly. But we like to keep track of what's going on.

Thanks for the compliments, and yes, Doug, we'll send you a sample of the StencilRite!

Sara

--------------------
Sara Bogue
105 Whittendale Drive
Moorestown, NJ 08055

Posts: 34 | From: Moorestown, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Peewee,
I've been a fan of R Tape for many years. They are located right up the street from a shop I used to work at.
When they were working on the Conform formula I was the first one to try it out. Although it needed some tweaking, I was very happy with the prototypes. Now I use is exclusively.
I will admit that after meeting Sara and the rest of the team from American Builtrite in A.C., I do need to take another look at their products. YOu can never be too comfortable with any oe product.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First . . most edge bonding is caused by storing the application tape in hot areas . . . Baloney cutting could be a problem, but most of the problems I have seen with it is from heat. R tape for some reason will be affected worse than Transferite.

And, depending on what you choose to use it for . . . I don't do vinyl so I prefer R tape for cutting masks, it'll stretch a little, lays flatter, cuts easier, all because it's just a little thinner than Transferite . . . On the other hand, I also keep several different widths of Transferite, also for masking, but for different types of materials.

As is apparent, everybody has a preference, even when doing exactly the same thing (almost)! You almost have to try em all to gain a preference . . As Monte Jumper sez: " If it werks fer you . . "

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it looks like I will stay with Transfer-rite.. I figure since I stand the tape on edge that is probably not helping I was probably dinging up the edges.. I shall change my ways!! I too use it as a paint mask also and like how it works for that.. I'm the type that doesn't welcome change, "It ain't broke so why fix it" I was sent a sample of Endura mask and was not impressed at all... Gracias again!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TransferRite ultra all tthe way, in 48" logs cut into 6, 12, 18 and 24" rolls. Clear by TransferRite also. Very few problems ever with edges sticking, I guess my supplier, Trim usa, does a good job.

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!