Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mass Mayhem 5...HAUNTED ISLAND

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mass Mayhem 5...HAUNTED ISLAND
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 12 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please come to Captain Ken's Haunted Island Letterhead Meet held at Winter Island, a popular Salem recreation area. The island was the earliest center of the town's flourishing fishing industry.
John Holgrave was granted a license in 1637 to keep an ordinary for the entertainment of strangers in his home at the mainland end of the causeway.
Winter Island later became the site of one of Salem's earliest forts. Begun in 1643, and frequently rebuilt and repaired over the centuries,
the Winter Island fort has been known as Fort William and, since 1799, Fort Pickering.
It was manned during the War of 1812, the Spanish-American and Civil Wars. The remnants of the fort can be seen adjacent to the Winter Island lighthouse.
Fort Pickering The island was also the "birthplace" of the Essex, the famed Salem frigate built as the town's contribution to the American navy in 1798.
Master shipbuilder Enos Briggs built the 850 ton vessel on the shore running between the harbor master's office and the restaurant because it was the only place in
Salem Harbor deep enough to launch it. Approximately 12,000 people showed up to see the launching in 1799.
The same number turned out for the hanging of Bryan Sheehan in 1772 on the island's "Execution Hill," adjacent to the remnants of the former Coast Guard administration building.
Just before being hanged for rape, Sheehan admonished the assembled multitudes to avoid falling in the wrong crowd, noting that had been his downfall.
In 1936-1937, some two dozen fishermen were given land on the island and adjacent mainland on which to build houses, drying racks and wharves.
The two coves flanking the causeway to the island, Cat Cove and Winter Harbor, provided safe anchorage for the small fishing vessels.

Many rumours have stirred, through history, of the island's past sailors and soldiers still haunting the island and its lighthouse.
On May 20 through the 22 of 2005, hourds of Letterheads will invade the island, some brave 'heads will even spend the night.
The site is now a campground and RVing park with full facilities for those who dare to spend the night on this dark, secluded and some say HAUNTED ISLAND.

For full details on reserving a campsite or RV parking visit: http://www.salemweb.com/winterisland/

For directions to Winter Island (aka Fort Pikering) please visit: http://www.salemweb.com/winterisland/where.shtml

For more information on the Letterhead Meet & for a Registration Form please contact: conceptsign@yahoo.com or call Ken at 978-745-5800

For more information on Salem Massachusetts please visit: http://www.salemweb.com/guide/

Hosted by: "Captain" Ken McTague , "Wench Kimmy" and their crew of Scurvy Dogs

Salem Massachusetts "the Witch City"
Pre-registration is required $20 for Letterheads \ Day of meet $40 spouses and kids free
Registration must be recieved by May 6th.
send check or money order with registration form to:
Concept Signs
68 Loring Ave.
Salem, Ma 01970

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a damn good time Ken, I wouldn't miss it.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may know a bit of Salem's "Haunted" History, indeed there is much to see. But aside from the lure, here is a list of a few non-witchy attractions.
The Site: Winter Island Park.
- campsites and RV parking
- military bunkers and old buildings
- airplane hanger
- lighthouse
- gazeebo
- playground
- surrounded on 3 sides by water.
-spectacular views of Salem harbor, Marblehead
- easy access to Salem Willows, amusement park, games, rides, fishing, resturaunts, even a carousel!

close proximity to:
- the Friendship (tall ship)
- The Peabody Essex Museum
- Pickering Wharf (shopping and resturuants)
- misc. witch memorials and museums

-

-

[ February 13, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: captain ken ]

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I ain't been there in 20 years!
Salem is an awesome town!
Kissy, you interested in "firetruck" pooling?
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, you're killing me. I had decided the only meet I was going to this year was yours... need to finish the shop. Now I'm off to mapquest. [Smile]

Course, you know if I go, we HAVE to go to the cemtaries.

[ February 13, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Kissymatina ]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got it woman.
Love....Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, pick me up on the way! I got gas money!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about hotel accomodations Ken?

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harris I'll bring along an inflatable raft and we can tie you to the pier.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemme guess, your gonna use a thread too?

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Harris, if your camping out or want to park an RV you can stay on site otherwise there are tons of B&B's, the Best Western - Pickering Wharf is a nice Brand new Hotel... very close by. but check out all the accomidations here: http://salem.org/accommodations.asp

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken, I'll beat Jill to the question....

are any of the B&Bs or other accomodations haunted?

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Well Chris, Besides the campsites right on the Island, some people say the Hawthorne hotel has been rumoured to have spiritual visitors. Lets not forget Roosevelts Bar and Grill, a great place for drinks and renowned for its graveside location, many people say they see 'apperitions' in the stairways and shadows in the resturuant. I would also suggest a visit to the House os Seven Gables, home of reknowned author Nathniel Hawthorne, I know its really cool, not sure if its haunted but isn't everything in Salem?

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

.....oh, did I mention we are going to have a scavenger hunt, survivor games and a tribal council style campfire / knowelge circle. also, working on a trolley tour of Salem. Campsites and RV parking will go fast, book now.

[ February 14, 2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: captain ken ]

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

UPDATE: we were just down at the site of the meet and we managed to reserve 15 campsites at the campfire site / circle. and there are 20 other individual campsite. camping price is $25 per night, if you want a site at the campfire (recommended) Please contact me directly.
Also there is full facilities for campers, bathrooms, changing rooms and showers. there is a general store on site for camping supplies to coffee and snacks.

More aspects of interest:

a great playground for the kids
a beautiful beach on one side rocks on the other
great exploring oportunities

also we have planned:
PANEL JAM

SCAVENGER HUNT

LETTERHEAD SURVIVOR GAMES

KIDS CORNER

CAMPFIRE TALES AND GHOST STORIES

KNOWLEGE CIRCLE

possiblities:

PIRATE INVASION

IMPROMPTU DEMOS

TROLLEY TOUR OF HISTORIC SALEM

-

[ February 15, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: captain ken ]

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

....will there be a witch burning?
Love....Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if the cinders can be used as smalts, Jill.
[Smile]

Me and the Gumpster are makin sure to be there!
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

slow down Jill.... you trying to start some kinda hysteria?
Hey Ray, I might have Gary Cole pick up those easles from you.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Bruce Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Deveau   Email Bruce Deveau       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm there! Just sent in my check.

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Deveau
331 Main St.
Amesbury, Ma USA 01913

Posts: 139 | From: Amesbury, MA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Update: The campsites around the bonfire are gonna go quick there are only 12 spots and 3 are gone already.... check out the map they are marked with the numbers 28 -34 if you want one let me know soon!

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Robert Larkham
Visitor
Member # 2913

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Robert Larkham   Email Robert Larkham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in!!! Just made my reservations with the Captain for a spot around the fireplace. This is going to be a blast. The last time I camped with Rochon my wife surprised him and Cam and did their laundry. So this time you owe me Bob, just don't starch the shorts. I'll bring the marshmallows!!

[ February 21, 2005, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Robert Larkham ]

--------------------
Rob Larkham
Sign Techniques Inc.
Chicopee, Ma

Posts: 607 | From: Chester, Ma. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Larkham, you wear shorts????

So maybe those were your shorts on rochon's head at MM3.... [Razz]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Hey Rob, if you have a spot around the fire, you better pray i don't wash them shorts in lighter fluid lol.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

campsites are going quick, if your going to camp out , make sure you act soon.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

bump

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

jusy trying to keep this up top with the other meets

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Why can't it be a post that stays up top like other meets, [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Not sure Bob, Harris asked me the same thing. I tried to feature the topic but its only Steve that can do it. I sent an amil to Steve and Barb about it. Not sure if they are coming or not, but some interesting stuff is in the works... shoild make for some great panel jam ideas.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Bump

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like one really cool meet. A Letterhead meet the whole family can enjoy! We are hoping to attend, but uncertainity over health and economic issues make a firm commitment difficult.

The meets that are featured at the top of the BB are there because we were asked to put them there. This Summer's meet in Greece requires some long term planning and decisions for those attending from other countries. The meet organizers asked that we keep it at the top of the list.

That decision causes a challenge. Space on the BB is at a premium. It's only fair that all meets get equal promotion, yet "featuring" all meets months in advance just takes up too much space.

The promotion of live meets is one of our main goals here in Letterville. We have a special page with all future meet details at Future Live Meets. There is a link to this page on most of the website pages. Meets are also featured on the java scroller located on the front page.

We'd like to reserve the "sticky topic" feature on this BB for short term announcements. The very best way to promote any meet is to do what Mike Meyer does so well. Start a new post evey week or so to keep everyone aware of what is new and create excitment. The same old topic title can become old news fast.

I hope this shines some more light on this situation. There's always some sort of thought process going on around here. Instead of speculating amoung yourselves, just pick up the phone and give us a call. Believe it or not, we really are here to help.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alphonse Dente
Visitor
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alphonse Dente         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would I be out of line asking why the paltalk announcement is up top then, when no one has responded to it in for nearly a month?

I only ask this, because I would think the information regarding a meet would certainly take precedence over that.

On that subject (and I'm still relatively new here, so PLEASE don't anyone take offense), has anyone ever given any real thought to the idea of splitting the bullboard into two categories, those that are sign/trade/meet related, and those that are not. Every week it seems I find myself sifting through more and more off topic posts, looking for what may be a sign-related one. (Even then, I often find that I click on what I expect will be relevant, and it turns out to be off topic, but isn't labeled as such.)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to OD on the OTs.

Creative (I think) suggestions, not stone-throwing.

-Al

--------------------
Alphonse Dente
Dente Design
Henderson Harbor, NY

Posts: 59 | From: Henderson Harbor, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al....ever hear the olde addage "All work nad no play makes Jack a dull boy!"?????

[I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Si......planning to join us?

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Alphonse Dente
Visitor
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alphonse Dente         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Si, and I play hard myself.

That's not the point though, even at a live meet, I'm not playing volleyball at the same time I'm gilding.

It's just a question I asked, not a judgement or a criticism.

If a half dozen people are sitting at a meet, talking about, vehicle door surface preparation lets say, for the sake of conversation,....

You're really involved with that subject, and a seventh person joins in, just to say "my cat blew out his own birthday candles".

That wouldn't be wrong, just not mentioned in the right place, time or context.

I was just curious is all, as to whether there were any validity to seperating the two categories of conversation, so that those that wish to indulge in one or the other, find it easier to do so.

Not much different from "the portfolio page" having it's own place...someone decided at some point, that it would make it easier to find posted pictures of people's work, but categorizing them in a seperate section of the board.

Anyways, I do extend apologies for nearly hijacking this post, and pulling it away from it's intended audience.

Have good weekends everybody!

-Al

--------------------
Alphonse Dente
Dente Design
Henderson Harbor, NY

Posts: 59 | From: Henderson Harbor, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Ken! It's still cold back there! This fat old body will not be happy in snow and cold!

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

The meet is getting close! Things are really coming together.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so who's going????? i'll be busy this week getting shyt done so i can go!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting the airbrushes ready, re-hinging the easles and finishing up some small jobs this week.

4 more days....wahoo!
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!