Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Addictions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Addictions
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to start this conversation.
I'd like to ask..
How does someone move away from Old Addictions!

To the Newbies that want to learn how Illustrations/Lettering was done years ago...KOOL!
We are all out here to pass the "Buck" onto you so the Industry will Live...
But still some of us would like to sit behind the desk and Design Only.

From the meager Pencil,to Brush to Mouse....Wow the "Times they are Changing!"

But as an Old Dog living within the year of 2005 and have studied years ago how to put Pencil to Paper first and remember "Your Imagination"!!!

Knowing that you were going to get dirty because of all the materials involved.

Over the years I have become lazy from the pencil to the Brush and look forward to the Mouse.

But to move on from the Past,
I have to let go of things I was taught..(Not Everything!), but only the small kits of Paint/Brushes (Not for Sale!)

Wishing times would stay the same but it does not!
But looking forward to the "Future of Graphics"

You never know! You may see my 15 Minutes of Fame.........

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Stephen . . .I just mentioned to Jill that I hope I don't quit hand-lettering!!

Since I got this plotter I'm hardly painting at all!! I'm concerned!!

When I was ordering vinyl lettering from Gregory I hand lettered more because I'd actually made more money on the hand-work, than ordering and marking up cut vinyl. Now that the plotter is in house, I'm using the same pricing method as Gregory with my mark-up so I'm actually making more money because I'm turning out more work faster... but . . . .

I'm really worried about sellin' my soul to the plotter.

I think the thing I need to do is paint more custom panels and stuff . . .or like RT does and at least super-customize the vinyl jobs.

I like to think that I choose type-styles and do creative layouts in the media of vinyl...but there's nothing like the painting, whether lettering or doing pictorials that relaxes you and gives you thinking time and boosts creativity levels. It's like a drug.

I notice that the days have become: Fooling with the plotter, weeding and masking, apply & invoice, DONE. NEXT.

I'm actually already bored with this process . . .
Everything is happening so fast. TOO fast, if that makes any sense.

I don't have the time for 'meditating' and pondering things. I also don't 'get into' the sign as much. Even if I manipulate unique fonts and try to make vinyl lettering look more relaxed or unique. . .the sign still does not have the same heart and soul and creativity behind it as a hand painted one.

Before I got the plotter I was already gettin' bored and frustrated with the 'bread & butter' signs of this trade and tryin' to think of ways that I could 'cut loose' with the art-work and do more unique things.

I'm becoming aware that for me, a plotter or a computer is not going to provide that either, although it's a 'fun' diversion . . .the only real plus I can think of is not having to wait for paint to dry . . . .or a UPS delivery..
[Roll Eyes] But those things are not even a big deal all the time. . . .

Anyway . . .I like the smell of paint. I don't mind that I get it in my nails. I don't care if I get stuff on my clothes. I like the way I can change something with the addition of a hint of colour . . . I prefer the way a loaded brush feels in my hand to that of a 'loaded' plotter or a . . .mouse.
When hand lettering or painting, if I happen to flinch the wrong way, it never entirely erases anything.

I guess I'm saying, the brush FEELS natural and the computer, mouse ...plotter don't yet...but I'm getting really used to them and I hope the brush will still always feel natural no matter what other tools I learn to use. [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, get a tablet.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

I shy away from pills . . .

(lol)

ok. I'm sure you must be talkin' about a 'wacom tablet' and I have no idea what that is . . .but it does sound American Indianish . . . .so it HAS to be ok.

[ February 12, 2005, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Don, she needs to take a pill... [Wink]

LOL!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6469 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila,
The owner of the last company I business coached came up in the business with a quill in one hand and an airbrush in the other. The majority of his work is now cut on the plotter. He uses his brushes on an almost daily basis still. He brings the flat vinyl look to life with these skills and tools.
After you have applied the vinyl, step back and figure out where a spritz and a stroke would liven up the sign. Just imagine that you have painted the letters and figure out "what next" And do charge for it in your quote.
Flat vinyl sign...One price...
Paint enhanced vinyl sign...Higher price...
Vinyl allows you to save the time of tracing, sketching, pouncing or whatever you do to get the basic lettering done...
His philosophy is that he can turn out a killer sign in less time and still get top dollar.

The mix may never meet the demands of a paint purest, but it can get the job done well and at both a profit and leave you with the sense of not having given up completely to the Icky Sticky monster.

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I have chosen to move on to fine
art. Although I still keep the computer and the
plotter warmed up I still feel at my best when
doing fine art. I do use most of my sign painting
tools on art projects because of the "Feel" of
all that I know. Even from the old Bulletin,
painting days are a great help in doing my own
style of art.
The vinyl stuff,HDU,Sheet metal, all make me
money but the art makes me fun.

CrazyJack
"When you know all of nothing,you will know
everything"

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some pretty cool effects can be easily done on vinyl, too. Cut first, then airbrush before weeding. Whole lot faster than masking. All the overspray is weeded away.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine doing this in vinyl!

-

-

The original signage consisted of an 8x8 on each face. My daughter & I painted this whole lot in under 3 days using 12 litres of acrylic paint (4 gallons?) and walked away with over $3000 [Smile]

No Si ... we didn't use masking tape! We cut the lines using 4" brush cutters [Smile]

Ok. I admit to using "modern" technology! I did scan the Rexel logo and produced a 1/10th scale layout for each face. But I marked it up by hand. Is this a lost art?

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

" . . . But I marked it up by hand. Is this a lost art?"

lol Jon.

Mr. Holohan, you are exactly right about customizing the vinyl. As I said, I got a real 'vision' of this from RT when he showed me his portfilio . . .almost all of his vinyl work is customized in some way as you described, and it SO gives it that hand-look.
His work is incredible and is simply something that you don't see coming out of a lot of the *'quicky-sticky' joints . . .

How could I have come so far and still have such an long way to go?? . . . [Wink] That 'discovery' zone is what keeps me goin' . . .

Don AND BRUCE (lol) I'm still gonna study up on what a wacom tablet is . . . [Wink]

*DISCLAIMER: I'm, in no way, opposed to 'quicky-sticky shops nor am I a 'paint-only elitist'. It takes all kinds because SOME'S can do the stuff SOME don't wanna do or SOME can't do . . .it's a really happy services exchange system . . .;D

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all:
I hope I didn't offend with my "Paint Purists" remark. In no way was it meant to be offensive. Two meets have blown my socks off with the talents of those who chose to be "brush only" sign men/women. It is the practicalities of the business that I consider first and foremost. Vinyl is here to stay. If it can be used in such a way as to increase the profit potential and also deliver a sign that says "Done by a fine sign artist" then good for you and your client.

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fell in love with hand lettering. Having letters flow off the end of a brush is a rush computers just can't give. I do a little computer generated work like a truck job I did last week. It had some of the hammered silver leaf and four colors of vinyl on it. Yea, it looked really nice and there was a little gratification there, only because nobody around here does anything like that, but I would have gotten a bigger rush if I had hand lettered a 4x8 construction sign loaded with 3" Helvetica.
Nothing beats the feeling of doing a nice bouncy script right off the brush. Unfortunately, I just don't get a chance to do that often enough.
I also haven't put the paint away either. Rather, it's the plotter that is getting used less and less these days. For the stuff I do, vinyl is usually NOT faster, it's certainly more expensive material wise and the folks willing to pay a decent price are few and far between.
Thank goodness I learned to pinstripe years ago is all I have to say [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4327 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you on here Steve. I know the feeling of leaving the Brush behind.

But to tell the truth, I don't miss the constant headaches I got, every single time I painted with 1 shot, even today when the staff paints a panel with 1 shot I still get a headache, and it's severe. I can't tell you what its like going home with a clear head.

Does anyone else who still paints get these "Paint Headaches?"

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there was this caveman who was mad because some guy invented a wheel...and he was going to miss walking.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Hand painting still RULES!!! Like George says, there is nothing as swell as watching paint come off of the end of a brush. It's as primally soothing as watching a candle flame.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon,

Have you seen a Semi Trailer digital "wrap" lately? Imagine doing that in paint?! Hehehehehe.

There's a place for all manufacturing processes don't cha think? [Wink]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] forget semi-trailers...
paint this:
 -

[ February 14, 2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor] Priceless!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Gastelum
Visitor
Member # 5341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Gastelum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm.....Like we need other forums, huh?

-
--------------------------------
The Sign Industry.com
--------------------------------

[ February 14, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Erik Gastelum ]

Posts: 79 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHAHA

...good one Eric! [Smile]

just for laughs I changed the link to image you folks got from Sign Builder Illustrated, instead of linking to your site, but you busted me good on that remark. (pretty sharp for a... nahhhh, better not go there)

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Gastelum
Visitor
Member # 5341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Gastelum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
np Doug, but you had to know that was coming  -
Your more than welcome to link up, i'm a sharing guy

--------------------

Posts: 79 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug .. I can, and I would paint that banner! Especially for the price they would have paid for the digital print.

Install is THEIR headache [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

-

I believe you "can & would" Jon... but you have done water towers right?

...'cause this is no banner, this is the world's tallest window graphic. 3000 man-hours to install.
(story HERE )

...even though you "can & would", by the time you finished it, someone else probably would have made a taller one. [Eek!]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome, but I would'nt want to drop my sqeegee. I think I'd s$%# myself if I had to do that.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

aw....that's just glorified window washing . . . [Big Grin] . . .lol, jus' kiddin'....

WOW Doug.

It's really amazing what can actually be done . . .I guess ya would'nt have to worry about an occasional air bubble or wrinkle . . .but you can (almost) see it from my house...LOL

Also, on that job..you take up a CASE of squeegees . . .and a 'bowler hat' . . . [Razz]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMAZING..To think that we may try to improve our talents to accomidate the times and others say don't.
No Offence!
But letting Old DOGS to design the product and allow others to produce or manufacture it for us is not a wrong approach.
I have had my share of Paint and Vapours!

Now it is more to be in line with designing only and watching the creative talents of manufacturing to produce the final outcome.
Thats what Bosses are all About! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!