Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The Fish That Got Away

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Fish That Got Away
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fish that got away....
First of all I want to say thanks to all the heads that cheered me on and so willingly and freely offered advice in the past week.
[Thanks]
Times like this bring home what an incredible resource we have here. To most of you, who don’t
know what I am talking about, I spent the majority of the past week preparing a quote for a large sign project involving a bulk order of large 2 faced dimensional signs.
Alas.... it slipped through my hands...
I sincerely hope it went to someone on this BB. [Smile]

So what’s the fuss about?
I’ve been thinking like Dan!

All in all this has been a really wonderful experience! It has stretched my imagination in many new directions and opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Being the how to junkie that I am, this week has been one big adrenalin rush and I’m still riding the high. Each and every day this week was filled with brainstorming and calculating, surfing the net, phoning and chatting with peers. This is the first project that has crossed my path that warranted an entire week of research
financially. I don’t think there was a time that I truly felt that I was in over my head.
I did however, stretch my limits, tentatively, and step by step, and did it feel good!

The highlight of this process involved the opportunity to tour this place. It was an incredible, fantasyland like workplace and it really struck me how happy the staff seemed. I’m still wondering if it is from working in a such a creative environment or the fumes [Wink] Seriously....it was uplifting to see such a large group of people working happily. I found the management team to be fully charged with the
excitement of what was happening and exploring new possibilities. There is no doubt in my mind
these people love their jobs. Although I am disappointed at losing the opportunity to work with them on this project, my mind is reeling with the endless possibilities to team with them on future projects. Some of the methods of production fit in so well with a few of the projects I have been dreaming of. Most importantly, I sensed in them a keen interest and excitement in what I was proposing as well. Although I am disappointed in losing the opportunity to work with them on this project, I am charged with the thought of future joint endeavours.
This place really reminded me of Dan’s tales of his company - just not quite as concrete [Wink]
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good learning process for us all Kel. Maybe next time, or maybe the winning company will back out...who knows. The plant you toured sounds brilliant.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4356 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well-done for trying & thinking 'off the wall' Kelly! The experience gained could well give you better luck next time. (although that sounds like a well-worn cliche).

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't talk much of the fish that get away... but believe me I often wonder what might have been. Many, many wonderful projects I chase never make it off the design table for a wide variety of resons. That's life.

You might remember the project I was showing at the paint the prairie meet... the one with the cool dragon stretched across the storefront. The owner choked at my price, even though I had done some wonderful work for him before. I feel I gave him an outrageous design, offered him first rate and tough materials, and a fair price.

Someone else did the job from what I hear. And did it in foam instead of the concrete finishes the owner spec'd in my bid. Probably for a lot less. No matter. No regrets...

My drawings and ideas are ready for next time such a project comes around... The design process got me thinking in ways I never had before... and just imagine what wondrous creations I can build when the time is right.

Like Kelly I don't regret what might have been. It's often these maybe projects that get me thinking further and further out of MY box. Each time I venture there I never want to return.

Making magic is not a guaranteed science. We can't win them all. But the ones we DO WIN will be spectacular projects!!!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8740 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Fisher
Visitor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Fisher   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Fisher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly -

Love your attitude about the situation - and the advice/attitude of Dan. Do maintain contact with these people - you never know when...

I keep potential clients that "got away" on my marketing/promotion list for a couple years after our initial contact and it's surprising how many end up being clients. I've had people come back to me 5-7 years after our first contact. I just had a project for the royal family of Thailand come back to me after it disappeared over two years ago due to the events of 9/11.

Most often I've found that when one "gets away" it's opening opportunity, time and energy for a "bigger fish" to come along.

All the best - Jeff

--------------------
Jeff Fisher
Engineer of Creative Identity
Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

Author: "Savvy Designer's Guide to Success" from HOW Design Books

Posts: 32 | From: PDX :: OR :: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys [Big Grin]
Dunc - the info you put together for me will help in the future I'm sure - I should be able to put together the next bid without nearly the questions.
Good advice Jeff - I was at your site & I really like the info there. Spent a nice Sunday afternoon exploring some of the links and reading articles. Might have to order a book too [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Fisher
Visitor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Fisher   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Fisher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly -

Thanks for your comments. My site is undergoing a total overhaul that should go live next month. It's been the same for over six years now - even I'm tired of it!

It's funny that this topic is being discussed now. About a year ago I was contacted about the possibility of designing an complete identity program for a new bank. I busted my a** doing the research, putting together the proposal and making the presentation - and never heard a thing. On Friday I got an email from a woman in Texas (she's the sister of one of my neighbors) asking if I could put together a proposal for designing the new identity for a bank. I pulled up all the archived stuff, dropped the new company name in everywhere and sent it off today. The woman responded that I'd gone "above and beyond the call of duty" in providing her the info requested for her meeting with the bank. Not a bad thing.

Let me know if you end up ordering a book. I'll drop a personalized/autographed book plate in the mail to you.

Take care - Jeff

--------------------
Jeff Fisher
Engineer of Creative Identity
Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

Author: "Savvy Designer's Guide to Success" from HOW Design Books

Posts: 32 | From: PDX :: OR :: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!