Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Color and aesthetics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Color and aesthetics
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking a lot about this for the last couple of days and I was curious as to what the rest of you thought.

Are we, as artists or those with artistic tendencies, much more sensitive to colors, shapes and textures? I think that this is a fairly rhetorical question simply because I'm sure that the answer is YES. I know that my father was.

About a year or so ago, I painted my office a light mint green color...one of my favorite colors but for some reason I'm getting sick of it. I'm trying to chose another color to redo the room and I seriously considered a pale peach color. I was all excited about it and then it dawned on me that there was no way I could do it. Why you ask? I have a super cool bright blue neon tube in my computer that glows and lights up half the room when it's dark. There's no way on earth I could stand the dissonance between the peach and the blue glowing light. It would be way too jarring to me. I looked into getting a different color tube but the only other color they come in is red and I'm not a big fan of red. Yes, I could turn the computer around so I didn't see the light or even disconnect it but I really like the light. Everyone who comes into my office takes one look at it and says - Wow! That's so cool! (Thanks, Richard B.)

What else makes me crazy in this room? The walls are this orange peel kind of texture. Makes my skin crawl - I like nice smooth walls. The whole house is like that. I've pretty much learned to ignore it since we hopefully won't be here too much longer but it's still one of those things that bugs me.

We seriously considered putting a swimming pool in our backyard before the 110º temps hit again but the only ones we could really afford were those ridiculous 'free form" shapes, rather than the rectangles. This might sould crazy but I can't deal with anything assymetrical. The pool would be right outside the french doors to my office and I would look at it all day. We're still considering it because we REALLY want a pool but it would definitely get to me not being symetrical.

Boy, rereading this I sound semi-neurotic! I was just curious as to how sensitive to these things the rest of you are.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimberly,

Dont fret, its just your Jersey roots showing again.

8A !!!

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a sense you're correct when the word artist is used with color etc. But on the other hand when you say we as artists, makes me laugh a bit. I've seen so much signage and striping utilizing color which apsolutely has no reason to be used, the color whether background or not makes me laugh and ask myself why one would use these and to top it off, those who used it are supposed to be professionals.

Oh well [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But on the other hand when you say we as artists, makes me laugh a bit. I've seen so much signage and striping utilizing color which apsolutely has no reason to be used, the color whether background or not makes me laugh and ask myself why one would use these and to top it off, those who used it are supposed to be professionals.

I think the difference lies in that I am making a distinction between a true artist and someone who merely makes a living sticking red helvetica vinyl on a signboard.

An artist as I was referring to them might be a signmaker, calligrapher, pinstriper, chef, photographer, wood craftsman, etc.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess thats why theres only a handful who master any craft compared to the many who follow.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am making a distinction between a true artist and someone who merely makes a living sticking red helvetica vinyl on a signboard.
Somehow, that made me think of the insurance commercials where the spokesman says "so easy a caveman could do it"...and there are cavemen on the camera crew. Caveman says to the other caveman..."did you hear THAT?"

Those commercials crack me up. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know women are more sensitive to colors, they got names of shades, tints and colors I never dreamed of.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimberly...in reference to your walls, one way to take advantage of the texture of your walls is do a faux finish. But there's nothing real symetrical to a faux finish either...the more random the better. Would that drive you crazy?

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Hove
Visitor
Member # 4970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Hove   Email Gary Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you love the colour green then I would go with a medium, rich color of green, and paint the top 18inch with white. Seperate the medium green from the white with a stripe, 2inch, the color dark green. Inside of that stripe another stripe, 1 1/2 inch, a sage color. In the white rag on the sage and a light grey with every so often the medium green in the mix then white at the last to hide any patterens that seem to show. Then a bugrundy stripe, 1/2inch,at the top of the white that turns into a stripe design in the corners. Add a little gold to the burgrundy here and there, done.
A nice clean look with depth, the only problem people might not notice the light.
If your asking that is what I would do. Painting a room should be just as exciting as anything else. Let some flare show through.

--------------------
Gary Hove
Pembina Hills Regional Div. No 7
5610 49st
Barrhead,AB
Canada
T7N 1P3

Posts: 97 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as peach walls go, our bedroom is done in peach, the lamp on the nightstand has a red bulb in it.....looks great [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4324 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds peachy to me ,George.

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies...I think that is more what I was curious about though...

quote:
Are we, as artists or those with artistic tendencies, much more sensitive to colors, shapes and textures?

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Kimberly, that's so very true.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Fisher
Visitor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Fisher   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Fisher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kimberly Zanetti:
quote:
Are we, as artists or those with artistic tendencies, much more sensitive to colors, shapes and textures?

Kimberly -

I do think it's very natural that "creative types" - or those working around artistic elements all the time - are much more sensitive to such things. I suspect it is in part from just being more aware of the basics of color, shape and texture. I know that much of my own sensitivity to such elements is a result of art school training and the study of color, shape and texture from many cultures. As a graphic designer I'm also more aware of the impact of such things on people - like the colors and lighting of fast food establishments being selected specifically so patrons won't hang around too long.

I've got something like 18 or 20 different wall/ceiling paint colors in my home. They are all colors selected specifically to convey warmth, calm and pleasant feelings. Everyone always comments about how warm and comfortable they feel in the house. Some friends who house sat for me in the past are duplicating some of the colors in their home because they felt so good while staying in my home. However, my home studio is painted all white, with north light coming through the window, so I'm not dealing with reflective/refractive color in my design work.

I'm also very much aware of textures in wall treatments, art, accessories, floor finishes, rugs and furniture. So much of my home is very tactile. Shapes play a big role as well. Somehow sprial shapes have come to be incorporated in many aspects of things that surround me including garden sculptures, light fixtures, wall treatments, fabrics, rugs, art, dinnerware, silverware and much more in my home. Texture, shapes and color play a huge role in my garden as well.

- Jeff

--------------------
Jeff Fisher
Engineer of Creative Identity
Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

Author: "Savvy Designer's Guide to Success" from HOW Design Books

Posts: 32 | From: PDX :: OR :: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get the free-form pool but build a slightly raised, symmetrical deck around it to camoflage it's shape. Deck could even cantilever over the pool's curves in spots.

Your walls might seem a lot smoother if you put some highly textured wall hanging in a focal spot to draw you eye (sculpture, fabric, <sign!>), or something like rough batten boards to break up the expanse...and naturally paint the 'smooth' parts dead flat for zero reflection. The existing color might look all different then. You'll figure it out I'm sure.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bob do you ever bob for Peaches? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Kim, paint the bed room peach AND lime green. That would look very innovative and arty!

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more computer case light colors:

purple, green, yellow, white...

http://www.casecooler.com/sunadorsparc.html

http://www.ultraproducts.com/index.php?cPath=29

http://www.xpcgear.com/lightingmods.html

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimberly,

I'm sure you could come up with some color scheme way better than what I have seen on the TV show: Trading Spaces ---they really suck!

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, Dave.
The stuff on that show makes me wince!
Well, 98% of it anyway.
Kimberly, I share your views about color.
If I had to live in a house with all white walls I would curl up in a ball & die.
My mom has hollered at me since I got my first apartment that my color choices are not "normal".
About every three years (less now since I'm getting old) I would repaint every room in my house.
I could never sleep in an orange bedroom tho.
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!