Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » internet music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: internet music
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sites are you listening to? What sites do you recomend to download music? What sites are on here to listen and then download if you like.

Thanks

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhapsody (9.95 / mo) - www.listen.com

iTunes / iPod

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iPod comes with a pile of internet streaming radio stations, all different tastes, and even talk radio shows. Free!

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should add that it's a broadband thing...dial up has a tough time keeping up.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Yahoo Launchcast. They have different genres to choose form, & you can actaully CHOOSE which songs or artists you don't want to listen to. I can listen to my christian stuff, too. They also have a LONG list of kinds of music, way back to Big Bands, instrumentals, & we like to listen to the OLD classic country songs, bluegrass, old moonshine songs that really make us laugh! It has 60's garage music, you name it. It is free the first few months, then you can choose to pay $30 a year from then on. Try it! To me, it VERY worth the $30 a year. Don't know if you can download from it or not.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use "easynews.com" . . it's a newssource, so every song in th' world may not be up at any given time, but it has enabled me to have a very nice collection over the last two years or so. About 14k in th' collection, far more than you can really listen to, but if ya got an iPod, you have plenty of choices.

$9.95 a month for 10 Gigs of download. and as far as I know all the music's legal . . .

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tried the revamped Napster site. You can do a Napster Lite version where you can download a song for 99 cents. You can then either play it on your computer or burn a CD. You can also download it to your iPod if you have one I'm sure.

I only downloaded one song so far but it downloaded in a flash (cable internet & fast computer) and burned great.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Quick
Visitor
Member # 2649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Quick   Email Raymond Quick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to listen to www.klrzfm.com, the "Rajun' Cajun". Nothing like an Elvis tune played on a fiddle, gutar, and squeeze box to make ya dance around the shop.

--------------------
Raymond Quick
Ye Thicker Than Thou Sign and Repair Shoppe
Olympic College, 1600 Chester Ave Bremerton, WA 98337
rquick@oc.ctc.edu

Posts: 50 | From: Bremerton Washington | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using Music Match Plus on our computers. It has free radio in different genres. You can type in an artist name and it plays songs by them or similar artists. Download songs for 99 cents as well. It copies cds in mp3 formats. I use 192 bitrate.

I've got XM radio in the car and a Nomad Zen which I can plug into any stereo via a RCA y cable. It holds 40GB (around 16,000 songs) and has a battery that holds a 16 hr charge when not using a ac/dc adapter. It's similar to an ipod. Life is good.

I hear Napster has an unlimited song download capability for $15.99/mo. How many alblums worth do you think you could download in a months time? I don't know, but I'd give her one hell of a try.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shop is tuned into Q107 (toronto) keeps us rockin'
and John Derringer's morning show is fabulous.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like to listen to www.kfog.com whenever I get the chance...it was my favorite radio station up in San Francisco and they do live streaming audio.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

quote:
I hear Napster has an unlimited song download capability for $15.99/mo. How many alblums worth do you think you could download in a months time? I don't know, but I'd give her one hell of a try.
There's a catch though as far as I understand it. You can't burn them to CD then...you can only listen to them on an MP3 player. In order to convert them to a "burnable" (is that a word?) format, you have to pay the 99 cents per song.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Apple's iTunes, available for Mac or PC (free download on Apples website)....99 cents per song, most albums are $9.99....and as far as I know, it's the only way to put music on an iPod....at least the original Apple iPod.

Itunes is easy to use, features a 30 second song sample. 1 free download is available each week. You can easily burn your songs onto a CD or back up your whole library of music (I'm up to 10 gigs) onto DVD's if you have a DVD burner.

I believe iTunes has served up over 200 million "LEGAL" downloads.

I don't use mp3 format...quality is just not there!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding downloading music. To do it very effectively you need either a quick version of DSL or Cable. Even a low rez tune of 2.3 mb at about 128 kbps would take 15 minutes at 256 Isdn. That's almost a rule set by itself.

As far as having a lot of music . . no need, as I said, I have a collection of about 14,000 songs. A lot are history, as I'm kind of a music history freak. Consider, last Jan. I downloaded the top 100 songs of each year, starting with 1940 and ending in 2003. That took over 26 GIGS from my news source bank. Most of it isn't in my play library.

While I have a 40 gig iPod, I think I only have at any given time, about 5000 songs, plus a couple audio books in it at any time. My "favorites" genre is a 670 song rotation . . about a full 18 hours of listening without a repeat, theoretically.

And once you have an iPod or similar mp3 player, a decent set of computer speakers is all you really need to listen to it in your studio, or shop.

I do disagree with the Dale, who said mp3s aren't quality . . I have a killer sound system in both our '34 Ford Street Rod and our GMC Gimmy . . CDs don't even come close . . We use an iPod, with the Monster connector in th' Gimmy, and a RCA Cable hookup in the '34 with the iPod, plugs right into the tuner, uses an Auxilary Input . . . Killer! My wife's Prelude uses the same RCA Cable with her iPod (She's got one too!) . . . they spoil you, you won't even listen to a radio anymore!

You can drive hundreds of miles without ever looking at your tuner or looking for new stations, no CDs scattered around the passenger department, makes driving and listening kind of fun. Sure simplifies it.

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like the blues, there's a group in Atlanta with streaming audio at http://www.atlantabluessociety.com/

Good Stuff.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny I LOVE THE BLUES! Got it playing right now!

Thanks Everyone.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!