Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Transferring MAC vector files to PC!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transferring MAC vector files to PC!?
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps others of you have had this problem.

I have been asked to do a great job: Fleet of busses for a tour company. The design for the lettering and graphics have already been done by a design company on a MAC with version 9 Illustrator. We're trying to figure out how to get the Vector files to my PC. I like to use CorelDRAW11, but can use AI 11 if I need to (I'm not as "FLUENT" in it.) She E-mailed me a file but it wouldn't open. Any ideas. We're going to try a PDF.

I appreciate any suggestions,

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jennifer

Ask her to save it as an Adobe Illustrator 6. This version will cross platform. If she is in a really giving mood, ask for an EPS AI-6 in addition. PDF may show up on the screen, but will not be the vector you will need. Hope this helps. [Smile]

Edited to add there was a similar post a couple weeks ago. CLICK HERE TO READ

[Cool]

[ January 26, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I half agree with Rick. Ask her to save as an illustrator EPS 6.0 file. Corel can do some funky things to an ai file, but eps 6 will come out pristine in Corel.

Since cross platform is an important part of what I do to feed myself, I've researched and tested about everything for the best results.

(very often, a plain ai 6 vector file will come out like a dot to dot drawing...shapes and curves will be completely disfigured.)

Edited to add that you will import the eps file to get it to open.

[ January 26, 2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You Rick,
I read over that "similar post". Very Helpful!
I'll get on the horn right now and ask for that EPS AI-6, and let you know how it goes

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Don,

I'll modify my request to EPS 6.0.

I really appreciate the help!
Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.EPS vectors always work between my Corel-9 amd my friend's Mac. However, one thing about Corel: I don't try to "open" them, but rather IMPORT them as PostScript Interpreted.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Thanks Bruce,

I just E-mailed the designer with the EPS request. I'll "import" it when it comes.

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jenny Craig

Do you know Kirstie Alley?

[Rolling On The Floor]

[ January 26, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing Jenny. make sure she save it with the suffix .eps.
Offtimes we Mac people will "stuff" a file when we email it. Quit ofter it protects if from corruption. You guys usually use Zippit. Does the same thing. Just inform her not to do it.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

YOU may be laughin' Rick, but I could be making some REEEEALLY good $$$ if I did.

Bill, too late. I just got an E-mail from the designer, and she did "Stuffit". It gives the file name, then eps. but then there's a capital S with a funny little symbol over it, and then .sit

I think she's having a hard time figuring out how to do it. Since I don't have a MAC in front of me, I guess I'm asking a very specific question:

What specific steps can I tell her to take, to get the file from MAC Illustrator Version 9 to export a file that actually ends in eps ?
Since her program is a version 9, she doesn't know how to save it as a EPS version 6 file. Where is that in her program?

I realize I'm asking for a lot.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny, send the file to me. I'll unstuff it and send it back to ya.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Oh geesh. OK. send it, i'll unstuff it and turn it into a version 6. Sounds like you're workin with a real Einstein.

--------------------

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Bill, I use MacZip. It zips and unzips files and is crossplatform. I can open PC zipped files and PC users can open my zipped files. Very convenient, and free.

Free Download MacZip for Macs

[ January 26, 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you take care of this Don? I got busy doing actual
work yesterday, sorry Jen.

Also Jen, there is no absolute reason to have to stuff or zip an Illustrator file as they are small for the most part.

Also Jen, you can tell them to control-click on a file to bring up the contextual menu allows you to create a zip file by selecting "Create archive of <filename>" and it will zip the file automatically.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

I haven't gotten the file yet, Bill. Jen, my email address is doncoplen@earthlink.net . Our email addresses are at the top of each post, second icon east of the date and time.

Pretty amazing that that designer draws stuff with illustrator for a living, but doesn't know the first thing about saving options and sending to a pc.

Jen, if you do a search here for "cross platform", you should find plenty of info on the topic. I'd recommend putting something together in word that you can paste into emails to let people know how you need their files sent. Hang in there. You're probably dealing with a college graduate. [Wink]

--------------------

Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

YES!

I FINALLY HAVE A FILE THAT I CAN USE!
Thank You Don, and Bill and All.
Don, IOU1Pepsi.

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don said "Pretty amazing that that designer draws stuff with illustrator for a living, but doesn't know the first thing about saving options and sending to a pc."
--------------------------
Maybe they think graphic design is a cash cow or a "cool" profession. Who knows? I've come across more than one print-shop person who uses Corel and can't comprehend that .eps files are imported as PS Interpreted, and not opened outright. That may not be common knowledge or even sensible. I forgot whether I learned it from the manual, or Graphics Unleashed or here at Letterville. We had to tell it to one shop 3 times over a week. And then there was a big outfit in Mexico whose command of the King's Spanish did not include digital technology.

And then, there are people like Jennifer who'll just try it, if it's safe and easy.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And then, there are people like Jennifer who'll just try it, if it's safe and easy.
I didn't get that from this. Seemed to me that it was the designer with the problem. It's incredible how little most people are getting out of a college design program these days. I've worked with more than a few recent graduates, and they are taught the basics of alot of programs, but little if anything about type design, color theory, composition and the like. It's like a flight school teaching take offs but not landings.If this designer is any indication, assuming she studied in college, some of them don't even learn the computer basics. I get the impression that as long as the tuition money keeps coming in, who cares what they don't learn.

What I DID get from Jenny's ordeal is that she was very polite. I've helped out dozens of people with similar problems here, and very rarely do I get so much as a "thank you". That doesn't mean everybody, but the vast majority. I really appreciated that and will be quick to help her again if another problem comes up.

Edited to add: The file that Jen sent was a mess. I've been doing this stuff for years and still had to give it a couple looks to figure out how to make it usable.

[ January 30, 2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand the problems some of you have. I have Adobe Illustrator 8.0 on my PC and Illustrator 9.0 on my Mac. I save the file in version 8.0 on my Mac with .AI after the file name. Every single file has always opened flawlessly going back and forth to either platform.

I can understand the problem bringing it into Corel. I've had nothing BUT problems with Corel.

Just the other day I got an e mail with a PDF from a customer. When I opened it with Illustrator, all the vectors were there, everything was editable. Cool!

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Dave, back in the days of all paint, there were always at least one in every town that saw paint and brush and gave no thought to mastering them. You would often see a sign these people did and wince. Sloppy layouts, paint drips, poorly formed letters, color schemes from hell.

The gene pool hasn't changed much if any since then. Only the tools have changed.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!