Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Have You Tried PalTalk? Letterville Is There! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Have You Tried PalTalk? Letterville Is There!
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past Month I have been testing a chat program called PalTalk. It's been around for years, but we are very impressed with how far this program has come. We see all sorts of opportunities for Letterville users who choose to install and use this program.

So what is PalTalk? Here’s their own description.. PalTalk is the next generation instant messenger integrating type, voice, video and file sharing into one neat package. Fast download and ease of use makes PalTalk the #1choice for internet savvy users. If you have ever used Yahoo Messenger or MSM, you have already played with some of the features Paltalk offers.

Over the past week, we have been experimenting with a Letterville chat room we have created in PalTalk. Most users of our faithful, old mirc channel report PalTalk is easy to download, install and use. You can type to each other and share your files and photos, but there is also the ability to use voice and/or video. We've already planned an online interview on pricing your work and determining an hourly rate for later this week. Our online guest will be Mark Smith, the developer of Estimate Software. Start writing down your questions and watch this forum for more details.

Before going any further, we need to teach you how to download and install PalTalk. You'll also have to register a nickname and learn where to find the Letterville Room. Those who want to try the voice feature need to purchase a microphone. We suggest an inexpensive headphone with a mic. A headphone allows you to hear better without disturbing the rest of your family. Let's get started.

You'll find the PatTalk website at www.paltalk.com The first thing we need to do is download the program.

Downloading

Click on the 'Download All New Paltalk Messenger 7' button. You can't miss it! This will take you to the actual Download page. Select a place on your computer to save the file, and then click "Save". Download time is only a few seconds on a high speed connection and a couple of minutes on a 56K connection.

Depending on your Web browser's settings, you may see:

A security warning window. Click "Yes" to install Paltalk.

A file download window. Click "Save" to download Paltalk.

Installation

Once the download is complete, double click on the pal_install.exe icon or file that appears in the folder in which you saved the file. This will initiate the Paltalk installation. After installation is complete, Paltalk should launch automatically. If everything has gone smoothly, it's now time to Register as a new PalTalk user. Please read the following closely.;

In PalTalk, you are allowed a number of various nicknames. I have one I use for just goofing around, and another I use in the Letterville Chat. We'd like you all to use the same name you use on the BullBoard in the Letterville Chat room. Example? I am steve_shortreed. Barb is barb_shortreed Our real first and last names.

Why real names you ask? There are a couple reasons. The first is confusion. It is vital that we all know exactly who each other are. My memory isn't as good as it once was, and I have a hard time with nicknames. For our own security, I want to know who I am talking with at all times.

The second reason is really much like the first. Letterville is not a secret society. We are all fanatical about what we do and proud of it. Many of us are also small business people. We're here to have fun, as well as to learn. There is simply no need to hide behind a nickname. Register a second or third nick for use in other, less community oriented, rooms.

During the registration process, you will be required to choose a password and create a secret question and answer. You will now be asked if you wish to subscribe to additional services or third party advertising. This is not unusual today. Everyone is looking for ways to increase revenue and a voluntary mail list is one of the most popular. Many consider it spam. Answer no if you don't want any of this stuff!

So you're registered and looking for the Letterville Chat Room. Where the heck is it?

PalTalk consists of 2 windows. Your main control window, and a room window. In the free version of PalTalk, you may see a popup window. Use any popular popup ad killer to eliminate these if you desire. We're interested in the main PT window at this point.

Look for a group of 4 tab selections called Home Groups Pals Favorites. You want to click on the Groups Tab, scroll down the list to the Business & Finance section. Click on it to open and look for Letterville. Double click on that link to join the room. That’s all there is to it!

At the present time, we have a free room. We have to have the room open in order for you to use it. Rather than sit waiting all day, we are opening the room at specific times. Right now, the room will be open 2-4 pm EST every afternoon and evenings from 8pm until midnight. Drop by, save the room as a Favorite, and start building your own Pal List of other Letterheads. Barb and/or I will be there to chat with.

Now for your questions! We know you have all sorts of things you want to know about the PT program and our thoughts about the value of PT for Letterville. Here's what we are going to do.

In the past month, I've had the pleasure of meeting some new friends here in PalTalk. One is a gal named Sassy, also known as Flying with Wings. Sassy has been around chat programs for over 10 years. She started with Internet Relay Chat, or IRC as we call it. She has 5 years experience as a former PalTalk Support Person. Sassy has helped me with numerous questions of my own. If she don't know the answer, she'll find someone who does.

Now it's your turn. Sassy will be with us in the PT Letterville Chat Room tonight to answer your questions and lead you step by step thru setup and other features of PalTalk. Write out your questions and join us from 10pm - Midnight EST.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has been using it for a couple of years, with video, sound and chat, it's a great communication tool.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

I just downloaded, signed up...and was speaking with Barb and "chatting" with Karen Sartain in less than 5 minutes. Looks like it is going to be great fun and a great tool.

Steve and Barb rock!

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just call me a Ludite.

I'd rather talk to my wife, and type on my 'puter... [Bash]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i need to go buy a mic...i know i used to have one years ago but its long gone.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a problem Mike. The "Green Button" mirc chat is still an option. Just because we have the audio option, dosen't mean it will always be used or available.

I see it as a great tool for online interviews, Monthly Resident Draws and other special events. We're even considering a weekly Karaoke Night. It's a hoot!

In reality, I have found that most users still prefer to use type. When used improperly, the voice thing can become annoying. Try it for yourself!

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are a Ludite.

What is that anyway??
It ain't in my little pocket dictionary.
Is that a person . . . . who dabbles in the ludicrous? Aw, wait, that's me . . .
I bet a ludite is a Star Trek clan member. . .from the planet of lude . . .lewd??!! [Eek!] Did you mean lewdite??

(clamps hand over mouth) Stop this Sheila . .yer Off topic! [Bash]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of a problem for Mac users....

MAC OSX is not supported......so I won't see you there!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it available for Macs yet?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW . . yes I tried PALTALK.

It's ok.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's OK too.
A bit hard to navigate for a nerd like me, but you can add "Letterville" as a favorite group so that it's easier to find.
Not keen on the pop-ups but I just X them.
It's nice to hear the different accents, but I prefer to type.
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops ... Luddite (sp)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

Interesting that the word 'Sabotage' stems from this era.

The name derives from the early industrial age, when powered looms could be damaged by the wooden shoes (known in French as sabots) of the displaced weavers (proto-saboteurs) being thrown into the machinery. Literally it means, "clattering in sabots".

[ January 24, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: TransLab ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve seens to have avoided a small detail, that if you use a mac, you are not welcome.

Unless you would like to spend a pile of money on a windows emulater that will in addition to slowing your bank account down, will slow your mac down to a crawl.

BTW, Barb did make an effort to find a free pc emulater, but turned out that all the links that claimed 'free' in their title were hundreds of dollars when you went to download.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats just not true Don. You neglected to mention that Barb has spent hours looking into your problem and offering various solutions. I've never used a Mac, but I'm well aware the users are loyal.

I'm not sure what you want us to do here. 99% of our users are using pcs. Should we resist taking advantage of tools we feel can benefit so many because a few use Macs? That don't seem fair either. What if we toss this opportunity out the window and you decide to take a year off again?

It's not a question about being welcome. You and I have known each other for years. After all we have been through together, I am a tad miffed that you would even suggest such a thing.

We're working behind the scenes to insure nobody gets left behind, but at some point there comes a time when each of us is forced to pay to play. We're still looking for a free program just for you.

A couple possible solutions.

Why not lower the price on your CD set so more can afford it? One sale will more than cover the software you need.

I'll bet there are all sorts of used pcs available. With new systems going for as little as $500, there should be something available for less than the emulator program. Just a thought

[ January 24, 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one thing in reply. Try to make that the last time in public forum that you bring up the year I took off. OK? I had very good reason. And last tuesday you witnessed a perfect example of the same instigator trying his best to get somebody else to scoot. You approve of that behavior, and even reward it, so please stop pointing it back at me.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not keep using irc too?

Two tools to use instead of one that some are having trouble with. People are having challanges with getting that software to work.

Let the users vote with thier feet. If palchat is superior then all will move there. If Irc is supurior then people will stay. If both are offering tools that users like then use both.. YES????

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Del Badry
Visitor
Member # 114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Del Badry   Email Del Badry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like the look and feel of paltalk, but on my work terminal, it really slowed stuff down... i'd probably stick with irc for my use, but could see the benefit of it for stuff.. and other people..

--------------------
Del Badry
philmdesign
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Posts: 636 | From: Sylvan Lake, Alberta | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

I agree Curtis. We have no intention of giving up on the current room. It's been a great tool for allowing people to exchange info and get comfy with each other. Isn't it cool how you finally get to meet your chat pals live and the ice is already broken?

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of participation in our current chat. Compare the number of BB users to chat users. Some of that is our fault. We should have more structured things going on.

I'm a slow typer. I peck away with 2 fingers and need to look at the keyboard while typing. Quite often questions will scroll by that I miss. There are times users think I am ignoring them when the truth is I never saw the question. The voice feature is going to make the Monthly Resident Draw much more fun for me.

Del...unless you are trying to use a webcam, PalTalk should not slow down your system. Dave Grundy is on a laptop in Mexico and is only able to get a 24k connection at times. Ask Sassy about that tonight. She'll show you sep by step how to set up PT for maximum performance on your machine.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those with a dial-up internet connection, don't feel that it will be a detriment(sp?).

I downloaded and started using PalTalk about a week ago. I am currently on a very unreliable dial-up here in Mexico. I am getting connections that vary from 7.4k to 31.6k from one day to the next. Typing in Paltalk will work even at 7.4k and I don't think anyone here has connections that low. Voice works just fine at anything over 16.8k

I know that the info on PalTalk says 28.8 minimum, but it isn't so.

I've been an IRC user for longer than most people here and still love it but I can see the benefits of PalTalk. File transfers are quicker than DCC in IRC. Voice and video capability is a definite advantage of course

As far as ease of downloading, installing and usig the program is concerned. I think most will find it a lot more user friendly than IRC. I can remember the countless hours and hours that many of us have spent explaining IRC to newcomers, some of whom just ended up giving up on the program. PalTalk hasn't presented any of the frustrations for folks who have tried it so far.

I hope more folks will give it a try.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Del Badry
Visitor
Member # 114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Del Badry   Email Del Badry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
steve, my problem wasnt with internet conn. it just seemed to really bog down my terminal, when on.. thats all, no biggie

--------------------
Del Badry
philmdesign
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Posts: 636 | From: Sylvan Lake, Alberta | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont cause trouble Badry

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Paltalk last night and found it interesting. It is nice to hear voices instead of just reading words, but yet you can still type if you wish to. I can see this tool very usefull in talking with other heads to discuss, business, solve problems, or even demonstrate techniques in continuing with the sharing of information about our craft.

It may not be for all, heck it may just be resisting to change for some. But it does hold many benefits that IRC just cannot offer.

For some like myself I type horroribly and loath typing so much I will cut short thoughts or not even bother with some. Also talking instead of typing gives you full emotion and proper intent of the message which in turn will eleiminate many misconceptions of what is really being said.

That happens so much in the typed world as you have witnessed on this BB.

So in closing if you can try it, why not?

The worst thing that really can happen is there will be a split letterville, I can't see how that can really be positive at all.

[ January 25, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the part I don't get......If I'm on Mirc typing only and someone else is in the room talking only......I can't her them unless I'm on chatpal with my volume on.....Do I have that right?????? Soooooooo, In order to participate fully I have to be on Chatpal.....

I'm sure I have something wrong here.....???

Joe,
Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

I don't feel so alone now. Mac users aren't the only group left out of the party.

--------------------

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of you mac users set up with iChat at this time?
I'm surprised we can't make this work with the palchat thing.
I got an ISight for Christmas too, pretty cool, too bad were
all ugly. [Cool]

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There nutin wrong with irc... We will still be there

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I just tried to find the Letterville room (2:15 eastern) and no luck. When will it be around?

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catalin Dretcanu
Visitor
Member # 4136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catalin Dretcanu   Email Catalin Dretcanu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love PT!
Finally I will be able to talk all of you and see you. I just wait to start talking with not even type.

--------------------
Catalin Dretcanu
TIPART GROUP Ltd
www.tipart.ro
Address: Bucharest, ROMANIA
Phone: +40 722 621 512
E-mail: catad@yahoo.com

"Do or do not...there is no try"

Posts: 83 | From: Bucharest, ROMANIA (Europe) | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Sorry we were late Mark. I could have saved some money on calling you.

At this time we are using a PalTalk free room. Instead of sitting in front of the computor all day we are opening the room at specific times. We were late today, but Barb is in the room from 2-4pm EST each afternoon. It reopens at 8pm - 12 Midnight. These times are just temporary and are very flexible.

Curtis is right about the current chat room. There is nothing wrong with it. When I started it 10 years ago, it was state of the art. Then again, B&W TV was pretty cool in it's time. Anyone want to go back?

There will always be an IRC network in place. Some love it! Many others find the commands, chanserv, nickserv and other details confusing. Our ops do a wonderful job of helping new users, but many end up leaving frustarted.

In an attempt to make things easier, we created the Green Button chat. This is a java based program, that makes irc easier to drive. Think of it as an automatic transmission on a vehicle. Easier to use, but the numbers using our current chat are disappointing.

It's 2005. Hardware and software have come a long way in the last 10 years. I'm old enough and honest enough to admit I have forgotten ass the DOS stuff and at least 50% of the mirc commands I once knew. You may be different, but I want things as simple and stress free as possible. There is too much on my plate to mess with learning all the details of IRC.

A handful of people have already made of their minds about PalTalk. Without even trying it, they have decided to stay with their trusted b&w TVs. That's not a problem. We went through a far bigger revolt many years back when we moved to our current Discussion Board.

I've been using PalTalk on a daily basis for over a month now. It has a wonderful 24/7 support team available to its users. In addition to type and file transfer, it offers live video and/or voice. We see nothing but opportunities to better educate and share. That's what Letterville is all about!

During my time on PalTalk, I have fortunate to meet a lady that is a former PalTalk Support worker. For 5 years, she answered thousands of questions for thousands of new PalTalk users. I'm proud to say she is now available to Letterville users.

Some of you have already met her. Her nick is Flying On Wings, but most of us call her Sassy. She was in the PT Letterville Room answering questions last week and again last night. She'll be back again this Wednesday at 9:30pm.

I invite you all to join us Wednesday nite with an open mind. Sassy will address all your questions and issues. In addition, she will once more lead you thru all the setup options to get you up and running. We'll also have a handout available on how to setup your sound.

One last comment. We've heard and read all sorts of comments on PalTalk. Some say it uses to many resources, it crashes your computor, it won't work on dial-up. For the past few days Dave Grundy has been playing with PalTalk from his vacation villa in Mexico. He is on a laptop and is lucky to get a 16K connection. His sound is excellant.

There are many times we assume things. Blue screen or crashing issues may be caused by memory or other probs. Example. I can't get my BB counter image to show. All of you can see it but I can't. I've blamed ZoneAlarm, the router, java, Norton Anti Virus and Barb for the problem. In fact I'm sure it is Barb. There's no way it's my computor! It works fine with everything else!
I don't care if all of you can see the counter fine. It's Barb. She's involved in a secret plot with MS BB Central to drive me nuts. Counters should be banned!

Get the idea? [Smile]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BB counter... what counter??

BAAAAAARRBBB.... THIS CONSPIRACY RUNS EVEN DEEPER THEN WE FIRST THOUGHT [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded the program and found my way to the Letterville Room, but it was full! Seems to have a limit of 25 and not permit spectators on the side lines.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,
You shoulda been there! I thought it was a lot of fun and a good way for Mark Smith to disseminate information. It worked without a hitch (other than the unknown 25 visitor limit).

Listening to Mark speak about EstiMate, instead of just looking at typed words, was informational AND entertaining.
While he spoke, the rest of us went off-course and on-topic at times, like a bunch of kids with ADD. I don't know how he stayed on-topic.
The nice thing about it though was that since you were LISTENING to him, the rest of the session continued like a good chat room should.
Those times you wanted to say more than you wished to type, the opportunity was there.

My thanks to Steve, Barb, and of course Mark Smith for making it a great experience.

Barb wouldn't acknowledge when we raised our hand to go to the bathroom though [Mad]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Maybe Steve will convince Brian Briski to do a Signgold talk next week? I think there's more than 25 people who'd love to sit in on that one.

--------------------

Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now,after the last sh*t slinging contest that took place around here about merchants in the chat room,morality,ethics and having those who just cant mind their own friggin business inflame the self created drama that went with it behind the scenes......now,all of a sudden out of the blue its a good idea to have merchants in chatroom and its the most wonderful idea the place has ever seen? I cant really see how thats a great idea to promote honest exchange of info,but what do i know i'm just thinking about it honestly...but i guess it does prove that no matter what people will accept and embrace anything or anyone around here as long as they think its going to make them fit in with everyone else.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

I don't think there was ever a big deal made about sign merchants in the chat room. To the contrary, the idea was to have more.

I think there was initially some concern about off-the-wall ads and 'commercials'.
This potential problem has been addressed.

:x Stop bein' babaies.(lol)

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

No big deal about sign merchants in the chat room? That's rich.

--------------------

Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a monkeysh*t fight at the zoo because of merchants in the chatroom,but just like we jump on some people when they ask for a font and then publicly state its gonna get emailed to others,this too will become a victim of selective ethics and group mentality as long as it evolves into something everyone wants to believe more than they want it to be the truth or not.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big deal was the fact Brian was being paid by his employer for his time to promote and troubleshoot their product. I don't think that's too controversial. The vendor representatives that show up at live meets are PAID to be there, some (not many) would do it for nothing but if someone is willing to pay them, take advantage of it. Why not pay someone to provide the same exact service, even if it is in a chat room? If this is just an online letterhead meet, the vendor reps should be paid for their time as employees just the same.

Anyway, as far as participation in the chat room, simply switching to PalTalk is not going to increase it. Green Button chat is easy, anyone can get into that with two clicks.

The problem is, people go into the chat room at whatever time and there's nobody in there because their timing is just off, so after a few attempts and not finding anyone to chat with they give up.
If everyone knew there were 10-15 people there EVERY NIGHT from 10pm-3am EST more would probably show up. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REALITY CHECK!!!!!
Perhaps there is a difference in a merchant being invited versus just helping themselves ..............? I think that there are only two people who really know what went on in that situation, so why all the authorities?
Whose playground is this? Who does all the work to keep it open? Do some want the satisfaction of seeing it destroyed just too have the bragging rights of being right? Is this constant nitpicking pleasurable? Do you think it causes stress to the administrators? Darn Right! If any of you came into my place and behaved this way you can bet your boots you'd be out on your ass*s.
We all choose our own attitudes on things and no one can change that but ourselves. If a select few choose to take things personally and whine and gripe about it there isn't much anyone can do.
This new feature wasn't initiated to leave any one out or slap any one in the face. I think you are all aware of that and if you choose to take it that way there isn't really anything anyone can do about it. It is starting to get really old.
PalTalk has some new and improved features. It has brought in new people who don't have the typing skill to be active in chat. It allows one person to head a forum while others type in questions and it will allow videos for online demos. That is the reason it is being looked at.
It doesn't mean that the old chat can't continue as it is.
I don't know what the solution to the Mac thing is, but I really don't believe the majority of Mac users would deny everyone here this opportunity. Contact PalTalk personally and gripe to them. Expend your energy looking into solutions instead of causing problems.
I think some need to take a step back and look at how they are coming across. Is this really who you are?
If I sound ****ed off .......I am - the drama here is really getting to a lot of us.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya,this is who i really am,both online and off,i'm like this all the time and those here who either met or talk to me off the board can attest to that. The only way i come off here is honest and true to myself and my opinion and i offer input on a couple of subjects i know alot about and pretty much stay out of everything elseI couldnt care less about paltalk vs irc,but i am curious as to who "us" is,maybe its someone related to "they" from the famous but invisible "thats what they say" family......why does there have to be an "us" vs "them" mentality anyway on a site like this anyway where everyone's input is supposed to be valued equally? Like i said before,anything said here that isnt accepted 100% by everyone is taboo,stressful and the list goes on at times......but i guess i just read another site when i see all that or something,i'm such a silly goose that way sometimes. I have to go work 3 parades right now and wont be back till prob 12-1am so in lieu of filling up this thread till it gets locked,just send the usual emails to zeeman40@hotmail.com with paltalk post as a header.Enjoy the day

--------------------
Gavin Chachere

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!