Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How many hours a week do you work?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many hours a week do you work?
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work about 45 to 50 hours a week, Monday- Friday, No weekends (but maybe 3 Saturdays a year)

How about you?

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm at the studio about 60 hours a week. You would have to define "work" for me to come up with an accurate answer. Does the time spent here typing constitute work?

Actually, when looking back over records I find that only about 50% of my time is engaged in any type of productive labor. The rest is spent on the phone, going here and there, and looking up stuff on the internet. It's part of the business, but not what I would call work. Most is necessary and the rest is fun.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Ray my first thought is how do you define work. I easily spend 60 or more hours per week out in the shop. But the line between work and play is blurred. If its a nice day I'll take a break and ride the John Deere mower around the yard, or walk down and get the mail.

It only 'feels' like work when I'm under a deadline and the project at hand HAS to be done.

Having employees keeps my hours more regular, but its not unusual for me to continue long after they are gone... FOR THE FUN OF IT!

In reality I 'RETIRED' from normal work about 28 years ago... the last time I 'worked' for someone else.

What I do now beats working for a living any day!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to work or not to work, that is the question. I'm here 60+ hrs a week, most saturdays and 1/2 sundays because of the other business I have here. Actual work is closer to 30, rest like dan and raymond said, just piddling around enjoying the shop and toys. (of course I don't think many shops have toys like Dan's)

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really depends what you consider work..

Productive time only?

Handling sales calls and getting supplies too?

Paperwork and accounting on top of that?

Does the time that I'm out at the beach, yet mulling over work related ideas in the back of my head count as work too? [Smile]

Or how about the time that I spend with hobbies, which might ultimately end up incorporated into a business somehow regardless of how much I try to avoid it - does that count as work? [Smile]

If all that stuff does count as work, well I'd say I'm working every waking minute although I may not recognize it as work! [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some weeks = none, other weeks a full 40 ....there are advantages to being semi-retired!

[Smile]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 to 40 average - occasionally, up to 70.

That's sign biz hours tho'
- (depending on jobs going on/weather etc. Often work 12 hour days in summer)

I would like clarification on housekeeping, washing, cooking and lawn & vehicle care, kid time. Does this count as criteria for your work hours??
If so, it would simply be easier to give you the number of hours I sleep: 30-35 hours week.

Who has a wife/husband/employee/etc., who does most or all these non-sign things to help you??

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, too many and not enough. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 16 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SIX (6)
hey... I'm trying to RETIRE !! [Wink]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
counting all the billing & letterville breaks within the work day I'm well into the 60+ catagory for sure, probably averaging closer to 70 hrs a wk. at the shop, but I have to agree with Dan, I haven't "worked" the way that word used to feel since my last employment 10 years ago.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up until about a year ago....I worked 50 to 70 hours a week at my day job and another 20 or 30 at my shop at home.

Now that I'm on my own it is really hard to say. Seems like a lot of time spent on the job is behind the scenes with bookwork, on the phone, cleaning up, bank, post office, etc...which is okay. I've picked up more work doing these tasks, and it's all a necessary part of doing business. I do spend more time checking this board, but I consider it as a learning tool. [Wink]

I'm not spread nearly as thin as I used to be, but I would say usually 40 to 50 hours, but sometimes 10 or 15 when it's slow. As long as the bills get paid and we're happy....that's the main thing.

I am always telling my wife that I don't get paid till the job is done. I try to do what it takes as quickly as possible to get to that point, so I can move on to another job.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm like si...semi-retired, except I still work 40 hours a week. Compared to before when I worked 60 or more hours a week, this is semi-retired. Plus I had 6 weeks vacation last year...Whoooooo!!!!! It took 30 years in the sign business, but I'm finally working like a "normal" person. Gonna phase out slowly, but never completely. I'm 51 and in good health, so why push it.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing what?

Oh, that.

A few here and there-----semi-retired you see. One of the few "perks" of advancing years---and trust me, there aint many of those.

bill preston

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite as old as Bill and Si....and not as young as Duncan.

So I work somewhere in between them...Probably an average of 20 hrs/week.... But when I am working, I am working hard! [Wink] [Wink]

Any work is hard work at age 60!!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My formula, one I aquired from Chester Cunningham, is that for every hour billed, you've worked two. Work in my world is defined as any action related directly or indirectly to making a living, is work, period. Be it time running errands,(errand boys consider it a job); figuring out an estimate,(estimating is a job too); cleaning out the shop,(do we even have to go here?); my point is; it's all related to the final line and that is making money to have time and things to play with.

Worktimes in shops went on the average; 12-14 hours a day, Mon-Fri.; Sat till noon, unless out of town doing shows.(which pretty well take up entire weekend, time wise). We used to schedule alot of work-trucks on weekends too, so rules about weekends were not cast in concrete.

Nowdays, semi-retired, I still knock out 10/12 hour days. But!! remember, I consider almost all actions "work". [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The master in the art of living makes
little distinction between his work and his play,
his labor and his leisure, his mind and his
body, his education and his recreation,
his love and his religion. He hardly knows
which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he is
working or playing. To him, he is
always doing both..."

-Mike Neuman

I ran across this quote a few years ago, and have made panels 3 times, one to my youngest son, another to my nephew....the third one is recently, almost finished.

not always happening, but mostly...

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
y goal is to work half days... you know, twelve hours... [Wink]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only work about 60-65 hours a week but quite a bit of it isn't what most would call work
but never the less its time spent

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Dave, around 20. My poor shop, it needs me sooooo much more. But my son yells louder for attention. [Smile]

(I use to work around 70 once upon a time when I only had me to think about)

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being retired from 2 careers and being a Sign Painter since '62...I'm almost retired again.

I don't work much anymore.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever is needed to satisfy my creative side and my financial side!

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!