Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 'Tracking' the vinyl . . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Tracking' the vinyl . . .
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first, I messed up a LOT of vinyl. . . .

But I followed RT's instrcutions . . .
I read the book . . .
I followed RT's instructions . . .
I read the useless book (lol)

But still, sometimes . . .the vinyl strays a little. [Roll Eyes]

I know this is so old-hat to y'all, but it's still a novelty to me.
I catch myself telling the plotter 'thank you; when it's completed something, LOL.

This is not really a complaint.
I probably should just cut shorter peices...but sometimes, I kind'a like to 'push the enevelope".

So far I think I've been lucky.

Today, I cut two 15" x 80" peices full of copy. It was actually quite suspensful noticing the material was tracking about 1/16" to the left . . .on the first two feet!

I watched as it continued to track slightly off, realizing that by the end of this sheet, it was probably going to come off . . .
I reached in and slid the roller over slightly, as far as I could go without getting off the corrosponding roller underneath the vinyl . . .

It worked and cut the last 2 feet.
Whew.

This is fun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol...been there done that. if i can break something up into 4 or 5ft at a time i do...i know i'm not going to lay an 8ft chunk of vinyl by myself so i do what i have to do.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are worried about tracking what I do is run out enough vinyl for the job. If it is 8 feet or so then run out 8 feet and see where the rollers are, if it is acting up then adjust it. Better that then screwing up a bunch of vinyl. The other thing is to just move the rollers in a bit so you aren't at the edge so if the cutter gets a mind of its own then you won't worry as much.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do what Brian does... I do the same.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spend a few minutes getting your vinyl placed perfectly. When you find that it will track for abotu 4 ft perfectly do this...

Mark your platen with a thin pencil line.

Then from that point on you can set it just right

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your plotter is the type with an open area beneath it or is on a stand, & if the material you're using is long enough to wrap around and overlap, align the edges and adjust evenly between the rollers. That may help it to track better.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I need is . . .a tracking device . . . .AH ha ha hahahaa.

I've done that thing where ya run it out to see how it's tracking . . .exactly how MANY times would one normally repeat that step to get it straight?? [Roll Eyes] (lol)

Thanx for all the tips . . . [Smile]

I have a bunch'a stuff to do I can try them out on. [Wink]

[ January 21, 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the speed is too fast and it's hydroplaning!!

Has the machine been used enough that it might need new pinch rollers. I think the springs can get weak...or they get nicks in the rubbers.

The grit rollers can get a lot of dust and stuff on them too. When needed, I clean mine with a toothbrush. Make sure you clean them all the way around.

Once you get a straight cut and you know the vinyl is running straight, while that vinyl is loaded, feed a little out and draw a line on your machine with a marker to help line it up. (Mine came with tick marks on the machine for this)

Knock on wood.......but so far I've never really had a tracking problem. The longest I've ever needed to run is probably 10 feet or so and it did fine.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila...One thing you have to remember when lining up the vinyl with the "tracking marks" is that 15" or 20" or 24" vinyl is cut from much wider logs, usually either 45" or 60".

Since the "slitters" that cut the logs down are not exactly PERFECTLY accurate in cutting all the way through the log, you will have to treat each run differently. The edges of the rolls you buy are NOT always perfectly true.

You can use the old "mark the alignment with a pencil" method if you wish, but I can guarantee you that it will not consistently work from roll to roll or from one point in a roll to another point in a roll.

One thing I have been doing lately, when dealing with many lines of long text, is to just cut 2 or 3 lines, then re-align and cut the next 2 or 3 lies etc. until all of the text is cut.

[ January 21, 2005, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had pnc-1000 and the traking over 10' is tough.
took a while till i figured out where to start the vinyl and how to compensate for the trackin.
mostly, what was the simplest thing...was to not cut any more then 4-5 feet at a time. you cant handle an 8' piece yourself why cut it.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU MEAN SOME PEOPLE CAN'T LAY DOWN 8' PEICES OF VINYL?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink] YOU MEAN SOME PEOPLE CAN'T LAY DOWN 8' PIECES OF VINYL? [Bash]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And somewhere at sometime someONE thought that sprockets were dumb. [Bash]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do 8' and raise you 1'. ( if you don't count wrinkles)

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Micheal . . .I see yer one . . .

Go for it.

Warning: I intend to lay down a full-house: 84 inches . . .

BTW: I would appreciate a modest pat on the back for cuttin' 80 inches and only trackin' off 1/16th to 1/4 inch thank you very much. LOL

I also have drawn "square" lines in the housing as well. Did you know one of the original 'stickers' they put on this thing to square the vinyl with, is crooked! Sheesh!

OP:
What are you trying to say??

I have layed over 24 feet of one line of vinyl copy down a wall.
Did you know that you can separate the copy after you tape it up there?? [Big Grin] (lol)
I can even mask virtually any length alone too . . .but then again, I ain't ever had a catheter either . . . (lol)

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Dave said. Each roll I treat differently. They ALL get a test run before I cut. It doesn't seem to matter where my guides are, the vinyl tends to do it's own thing because of the way the tubes are cut.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Tony said.

A pinch roller that did not roll cost me over $400.00 Looking back I should have fiqured it out but I had a pinch roller wheel that was not turning very well. It was sooooooo bad that it would shut the plotter down on long cuts. Sent it back to Alan Datagraph and that's all it was. A pinch wheel that was binding up. Then I thought about it. makes sense because it was not tracking well. Tracks like a champ now. Alan Datagraph did not charge me $400.00 for the wheel. That was the cost after shipping both ways.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Berry
Visitor
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Berry   Email Wayne Berry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30ft in the wind without a problem. But then I do that sort of stuff daily. (I'd rather not have the wind though.)

BTW, I can mask these long runs alone. No special tools or maskers. How? Call & I'll tell ya. Not really that hard, just takes practice.

I'm a one man shop. I do a lot of commercial vehicles. Long runs, compound curves, wild graphics, cut vinyl & printed wraps. I've had to develope methods to deal with all sorts of applications. I'm not sure I can tell someone how to do it but if your ever in the area I'll be glad to show ya.

Wayne

--------------------
Berry Signs & Stripes
Hattiesburg, MS
Signs, lines, lettering & other neat stuff.

Posts: 82 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne...I "steamroller" the long runs for masking...works great...Learned it from Jaxx at Bruce Bower's meet many moons ago.

For applying long runs single handed...I will use a variety of methods...from double or triple masking to create a stiff product...to wet application....to center hinging...to taping a yardstick to the edge of the masked vinyl....

All sorts of different techniques!!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I printed some tick marks on the Edge and put them on my Summa plotter. I don't think the factory ones are very accurate. It took a few minutes to get them perfectly aligned but now it will cut up to about 20 feet without the "training wheels".

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What worries me is the supplier telling me they stock less sprocket vinyl because of the advent that more and more people are going to friction fed because they are less expensive.

We've cut full rolls of 50 yard vinyl at one lick while being gone for lunch and never lost anything.

A lot to be said for those dumb little expensive sprocket machines.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean-Claude Theriault
Visitor
Member # 966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean-Claude Theriault         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Monte. My old 4B and Sprint machines could be left unattended overnight or while out on calls and the job would be done properly.

Jean-Claude

--------------------
South End Signs
Jean-Claude Theriault
Halifax, NS

Posts: 172 | From: Halifax NS | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made measured alignment strips on my buddies Edge and stuck one on the front side of the plotter on the platten (sp?) against the sidewall and one on the backside of the plotter on the platten against the sidewall.

That way, i can have a better, accurate guide when trying to align sheet fed vinyl...by aligning the edge of the vinyl on a alignment mark on the front side and the corresponding alignment mark on the backside, and then put the pinch rollers down to hold in place.....and the tracking is much better.

Here's a view of my alignment decal from the upper front side:  -

Here's a view from the direct top....you can see the alignment decals on the front and backsides of the plotter where the vinyl comes through....

-

[ January 25, 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have cut up to 12' on my Mimaki plotter. I always hit Auto Feed and make sure it's stays aligned for the length of vinyl I'm cutting. Sure it may get off a fraction of an inch but that's no problem. I also slow the plotter down and monitor these long runs...saves vinyl when you are there to stop a problem.
Shelia, I do the Auto Feed as many times as it takes to keep it on track. Usually 2 to 3 times works.
Congratulations on you accomplishment!
Judy

[ January 25, 2005, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The feeding tray for the cutter should be stable and optimally attached to the cutter. Some of the newer cutters come with a detached tray with rollers that can bounce around.

Making alignment marks, running at speeds reccomended by the manufacturer, and loading the vinyl straight should get runs at least 16'... I can easily get 30' on my graphtec.

[ January 25, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Paul McDowell ]

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila - check out my first post again...I put some pictures in it to illustrate the alignment decals I use. Thanks to Doug Allan for providing the picture links for me.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use my anagraph and cut long runs too. I have the platten marked with a pencil line were it will track perfectly.

Also, prefeed the vinyl. Having your machine pull on a 20 pound roll is asking for trouble.

Trackng is not a big deal when cutting short runs. But you must have good tracking when cutting reverse letters into trans material. That stuff costs and reverse letters must be correct.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howard Keiper

Member # 1250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howard Keiper   Author's Homepage   Email Howard Keiper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that vinyl nowdays is made in 60" widths...the 1st split yields two 30's, etc. I have found that, if the roll isn't unwound and rolled up again, as it will be if 15's are made out of it, as for perforating or trimming the edges or both, or if the 30's are edge trimmed or perfed, then there is a never (well, hardly ever)fail method for aligning the roll. It does require that the axis of the roll is perfectly parallel to the drive mechanism of the cutter. That means that the support rollers have to be substantial and fixed to stay parallel. Given that, I put the vinyl into the machine, make sure the roll will feed between the pinch rollers, hold the roll at the bottom to tension the vinyl as I pull it straight, from the center, and lower the pinch rollers. (It makes a lot of sense to me as I read it). Anyway, I learned on a PNC-1000, so you know it must work.

Howard

--------------------
Howard Keiper
Independent Contractor
Benicia, Ca.
thekeip@comcast.net

GraphtecUSA

Posts: 409 | From: Benicia, Ca., USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx all for the wonderful tips y'all.

Todd, that's pretty cool . . .

Juday, thanx.

Howard, your tip is a real 'Keiper' . . [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila,

I just think you are delightful!

I can totally relate to that knotted stomach, fingers and toes crossed, hopin' and prayin' that last letter plots before the roller falls off the edge.
If your nerves can take it, it's a fun job.

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!