Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Morgan Freeman on Martin Luther King Memorial

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morgan Freeman on Martin Luther King Memorial
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it is Martin Luther King day of rememberace, I submit this article from Morgan Freeman on the proposed memorial to this great man.

Morgan Freeman with Will Pitt on the MLK Memorial

Monday 17 January 2005

William Rivers Pitt: Thirty six years after the murder of Dr. King, plans are in motion to build a memorial to his life, his activism and his teachings in Washington DC. Given the days we live in - with war and economic uncertainty and fear served to us with our daily bread - a memorial to a man who preached non-violent resistance is timely. What aspects of the memorial will focus on King's legacy in this regard, and speaking personally, what aspects of Kings legacy in this regard find resonance with you in these days?

Morgan Freeman: Every aspect of this monument seems appropriate for these times. While some are confused and frustrated today with the conditions of our world, the monument offers the tenets of Christ, as Dr. King understood them, to provide calm - the water effects that are part of the design will allow a place for reflection. While storms and earthquakes ravage the land with power that mystifies us, the monument's etched phrases will speak of the peace within one's self - as Gandhi understood it and Dr. King perceived it from Gandhi's teachings. The monument itself - a peace monument to a peaceful man in a valley that has long commemorated great and hard-fought wars and the Presidents of our vast and diverse nation - the very idea of it pulses.

What does Dr. King mean to you? How do you feel about being involved in the movement to establish a memorial for him and his work?

I spent a great deal of time in the South, growing up there as a child in and around Memphis. As an adult, I was very aware of Dr. King's message and how it affected the people who lived in Southern communities. He was a person, more than any actor, more than just about any other statesman of his time, who had 'presence' in the surest form. I believe it was something that was born in him but that he cultivated with resolution because he knew the power that his particular kind of presence could have in the world.

He knew that change was inevitable but that choice affecting change, non-violence affecting change, peace in the midst of change would make the difference. This is a powerful example that he set for us and posterity. Any reminder of the example that was his life is important. In times of war, of heartache, of despair - in the best of times, we need to remember the power of an exemplary life. We need to remember, always, Dr. King's tenets and his life.

Can you tell me about the process involved in gaining approval for this monument, where it will be located, and what the overall concept behind its construction is?

A memorial, long overdue, will be built on the National Mall in Washington. It will be appropriately situated on four acres of the nation's most hallowed ground in a direct line between the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials. The centerpiece is large a "Stone of Hope," on which the silhouette of Dr. King will be carved, symbolizing his walking out of the mountain of despair. Dr. King's sermons and speeches will be etched into a significant portion of the Memorial. The Memorial will fittingly be situated in the midst of the cherry blossoms, which will be bloom each year on the anniversary of Dr King's assassination.

This memorial project came about from the ambitious efforts of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternities. For over 20 years, the fraternity worked to make this dream a reality. As a result, in 1996, Congress signed an Act authorizing a Memorial in Washington and President Clinton signed the legislation authorizing the building to take place on the Tidal Basin.

The Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, AL, has a dramatic monument to Dr. King and his words, as well as a separate monument commemorating those who lost their lives in the struggle for civil rights. Are any aspects of that monument's concept to be incorporated into the DC memorial?

This memorial is distinct in that it is the First memorial honoring a man of peace and will be the only memorial on the Mall not honoring a president or a war. Another interesting point is that The Memorial will also commemorate the contributions of many other people who participated in and gave their life in the civil rights movement. Stone 'niches' will honor those including Medgar Evers and the four children murdered by a bomb blast at a Church in Birmingham. Some of these niches will purposely be left blank to allow for future heroes in the struggle towards equality, peace, and justice.

What else needs to be done for this monument to become a reality? What can people who would like to see this memorial become a reality do to help?

I encourage anyone who has ever benefited from Dr King's actions and words of justice, equality, and peace to learn more about the Memorial. At www.buildthedream.org, you can learn more about the memorial, see the design and learn more about Dr. King as well. To date, the Memorial Foundation has been in a quiet phase, raising $32.5 million out of the needed $100 million. Now, we are kicking the campaign into high gear and calling on all citizens to make a contribution by our 2006 fundraising deadline. Any of those interested can donate directly through the website.
-------------------------------------------------
As for myself...I will hold him in my heart. That is where he would want to be. He gave of himself to bring not only the black man out of the injustices of society...but every human on the planet. Well done Martin.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100 million for a memorial? That could send a lot of poor, young, motivated blacks to college. To me...that money would be better spent towards helping educate the black underpriveledged than a memorial dedicated to a controversial figurehead.

I'd rather see that money go directly to those that otherwise might have a bleak educational future.

Higher education seems like a better use of resources if one is concerned about the oppressed and would give hope and life-changing power to some who might otherwise be relegated to the decay and hopelessness of inner city culture. Education is freedom.

[ January 17, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same could be said for presidential inaugurations also. An estimated 50 million will be spent on this years inauguration, money that could be spent elsewhere for education, retraining, etc.
Although it seems high to me for a monument, Dr. King deserves to be memorialized for his work and devotion to helping not just his people, but all people.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of those posts that I can see going real bad. It's not just a feeling. We know there is still a whole bunch of rasism in this World. Unfortunitly, that includes Letterville.

Martin Luthur King was not perfect, but he is one of my heros. As someone who grew up during the 60's, we had an opportunity to see that one man can make a difference in a short time.

Just heard a story on this proposed memorial. In order for this to happen, 60 million of the $100 million has to be raised privately. At this point, they have $30 million. I'm a Canadian, but I hope this project happens sooner than later.

Please think about your comments before you post. Talk about the man and avoid the politics and personal prejudice. As I post this, President Bush is speaking on TV. He says Martin Luthur King loved America and America loves Dr. King. I hope he is right.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no memorials on the Mall that I know of "Honoring War". They are honoring the brave men and women that fought them so that our citizens, and citizens of other countries, would be free to practice the things that make our country great.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Sartain
Visitor
Member # 241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Sartain   Email Karen Sartain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jackson for sharing...peace and the ability to share peace, lives(starts)within [Smile]

love 'n light,
Karen

--------------------
Karen Sartain,'Pisel' on chat
11699 E Hwy 181
Willcox, Arizona 85643

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey.We are spiritual beings on a human journey."-Stephen Covey

Posts: 336 | From: Chiricahua National Monument, Az | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, all I am saying is that a hundred million dollars could send 2,500 poor black kids through a four year college based on 40K each. [Eek!]

John - the same can definately be said for most government projects...I agree.

Although I highly doubt inaugurations of any president strive for frugality. I think that statement comes more from a post-election wound than comparative analysis.

I wonder what King himself would have preferred?

PS - Personal donations are encouraged. [Wink]

[ January 17, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No todd, it didnt. Clintons inauguration cost 33 million which was also far too much. If you notice I said presidential inaugurations. Not just the Bush inauguration. There are no post election wounds here todd. I think its great they put up a monument to Dr. Kings memory. Its past due.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a wonderful memorial in Montgomery, Alabama near the captiol building, designed by a chinese girl.

It is a huge, black granite cone about 12' across balanced in an unlikely position on it's point so the top is level. Water flows out of the center and across the surface and all down the sides to the point at the bottom.

It has some engraving on it.

Behind it is a black granite wall, some 10' high and mabey 20' or 30' long with the names of those who died in civil rights marches engraved on it (or either the cone) The wall also has water flowing down the entire face, over Mr. Kings words . . . "...Until justice flows down like mighty streams of water..."

(Sorry,I may have mis-quoted that, but it's something very simular)

Anyway, it's been a while since we've stopped by, but it is very beautiful and you should see it if your ever in Montgomery.

I'm sure there mst be a web-site showing it and telling much more about than I did. [Smile]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there Shiela. Mark Fair took Barb and I to see it. I think it's called the Civl Rights Building or something along that line. He also pointed out the church where Dr. King launched his Ministry.

What I remember most about that place is the security. Huge wall, cameras everywhere. Barb tried to get a better look and got to meet an armed guard closeup and real personal.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!