Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cheaper signs they want...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheaper signs they want...
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doggone it, lately every customer that walks through the door starts telling me what they want on the sign, but saves until the last breath, "Oh yeah, I want it on that plastic stuff."
THe last four jobs I did this week were all coro signs. Im thinking to myself, what if I didnt have the stuff in stock? Most people come to me cause they like the way my stuff looks, so if I tell them I dont have any coro and could only do it on mdo, etc., what could they say?
One thing Im gonna do for sure though, is raise my prices on coro signs. If its cheaper signs they want, they'll get em, but at a little higher price.
Dont take this as a coro putdown either please.
I make alot of signs on the stuff, and it does fill a need, but as of late, too much of a need for my liking.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coro.. I like it,, I sell the heck out of it.

Big small i don't care.. 4x8 backlit with CORO????? wow i never head that one but thats what he wanted.. He got it. And when it rotted out of the can he came for another pair of coro faces.

Now ive got the same amount of money as I would have for a lexan face. And looks like i'll get another order from the same guy in just a few more weeks.

coro. can't live without it.

Just printed a wooden door covor . material won't stick to the door paint,,, So, make up a coro skin and nail that to the door. Coro is good..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure if a whole sheet only saves me $30 over primed MDO... & the cost of the paint to coat it out is berely worth more then the $50-$70 worth of my time to sand it & roll it out... they are only gonna save that $100 max even on a 4x8 sign.

If they screw it into a building it can last longer then MDO, so if that's what they really want, I feel like I'm making the money I need shaving off only the actual savings. Of course we all want each customer to spen an extra $100, not $100 less... but just make sure the "cheaper" that is passed on to them is only what you really save.

Of course I'm over simplifying here, & if you are cutting nicely shaped panels, you save a lot more time if you can do it with a razor knife... but are people really getting fancy looking signs made of that cheap-o-plast?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For years my father in law and I split the shop rent, he got the front half of the shop, I took the back. I made a wall between the two halves. I made it out of used signs. One was a piece of coro with painted lettering. And yes, when the lights were out in the front half, that piece of coro was quite translucent and legible.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
start selling them on the long term value, versus the immediate savings I know this economy is tough....or put a minimum on coro like us 100 18" X 24" is the least we will do.. we have to be working on the signs that we make a higher profit margin on. striker out

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Berry
Visitor
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Berry   Email Wayne Berry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of CoroPlas...

Have any of you had good luck coating them out? I've tried 222s (Dupont adhesive promoter) and scuffing the surface but about all that seems to adhere "well" is automotive urethanes. I spray a lot of my panels but rarely coro. Way more money (paint & Prep) than a coro sign is worth. IMHO.

Thanks,
Wayne

--------------------
Berry Signs & Stripes
Hattiesburg, MS
Signs, lines, lettering & other neat stuff.

Posts: 82 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have to bow to painting Corolast I will bow to leaving the business.

Don't get me wrong it has its place...however...

We do not stock it...we make it a special order so we can charge more for it!

More often than not the customers opt for other materials we have in the shop and everyone ends up happy...(us and them)

I absolutely refuse customer requests to use it for a "permanent" sign and have lost a job or two because of it...but I honestly don't care because no one is looking at their sign and thinking I did it...that means a lot to me!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a lot of it too, and am gonna start charging more for it.
I see corosigns out there that I hand-painted about 9 years ago!
I can't help it if the stuff lasts.
But I do try to up-sell signs.
It's just that my customers all seem to have been bitten by the Cheap bug. Not gonna let them bite me if I can help it.
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way Im looking at it now, is like Doug.
Only difference is it dont have to be primed and painted. Like yesterday, I had a guy come in from a big car dealership wanting a 4x8 for the sales office, but on coroplast cause its cheaper.
Then he calls later and wants to see a sketch. Today he called and wanted to come by and discuss some options on the sketch. When this fella gets through, its gonna cost him as much as an mdo sign.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only coro I've used in the last few years was for outdoor event posters for the local church lady, and those were a significant upgrade over what they had previously. Before then their posters were heavy card stock, hand painted, with varnish slopped over them for waterproofing. For each event they would have the info blocked out, painted over, then more varnish.

The painter who was doing these horror shows retired, so they brought them to me. I can't begin to describe these awfull, beat-up, water-stained, varnish-slathered cardboard monstrosities. I replaced them with coro with vynull, and the specific event (which gets changed every time) is edge-printed on white vynull rectangles - it only has to be good for a few weeks, and they are easy to peel off the coro and replace. I charged $100 for two of them to begin with, and $50 every time they change, which is about four times a year.

Are they pretty? No - but they are a damsite better than what they had before, and at least the coro is waterproof. The church lady loves 'em and that's what counts.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Working with those lil sweet Church Ladies has to be considered "Charitable Work"!!!!!

They will drive ya #@$%^#$ nuts!

[I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...That stuff has it's place, but it's for LOW END sign work. Ain't it?

...John, are you the cheapest sign maker in your market? And do you really want to be known as "The Coro- King"?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...That stuff has it's place, but it's for LOW END sign work. Ain't it?

...John, are you the cheapest sign maker in your market? And do you really want to be known as "The Coro- King"?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Double-Post Billy....
Bob Stephens is the Coro King!
As long as it pays the bills, I would make signs out of Play-Doh and bobby pins....I ain't proud....or tired!
Love....Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay our kid, what exactly is wrong with Play-Doh and bobby pins? Honestly, you sign-snobs! [Wink]

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

No W.R., are you? What the heck kind of response was that?
If you look at my website, you'll see the kind of work I do, and it aint low end.
What kind do you do? [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Wayne Berry
Visitor
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Berry   Email Wayne Berry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the 10mm stuff & I do stock it. Real estate or other short term stuff is where I use it. I can cut it on my shear and 4'x4' or 4'x8' are the most common sizes.

Like Cam Bortz, I did some for a timber management/land management co. with an "edge" panel that I could replace every time the signs location is changed. They've had the signs for 3 months and I've printed replacement panels 5 times. Good money also.

Like those magnetic signs for vehicles, I always tell the customer that this material is designed for temporary signage & then try to sell them a more permanent one. But if this is what they want... OK.

I love doing the higher end stuff but these simple knock out jobs are fast and generate a good return. I don't try to undercut the franchise shops and do charge quite a bit more for this type stuff than they do. But, I don't send a good customer away or to another shop if they want me to do it.

I look at it like I do banners. There is no way I can or will do banners for what most shops in this town charge. But, I do get one or two a month. I get paid well for them, try to make them look nice and don't worry about the lost ones.

Just my thoughts,
Wayne

--------------------
Berry Signs & Stripes
Hattiesburg, MS
Signs, lines, lettering & other neat stuff.

Posts: 82 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not secret that coro has been labled the "cheap sign" substrate. Mostly because of it's cost but in my eyes mainly becasue of it's look.

It comes down to "perceived value" again.

I can see John doing one of his nice designs on MDO or coro and the sign from afar looking the same, but up close it will appear to be a less expensive sign to the customer.

Nothing against you john, I'm just stating a fact. You do great work. It is what it is, and if it's your regularly good customers that buy your better products and occasionally want the coro sign then so be it. But if your attracting the customer base that only wants coro signs because they are cheap, then that will hurt your higher end signs in the long run.

coroplast is a cheap appearing material, plain and simple.

I agree with carrying less of it, if you think about it it's just plastic card board. would most shops do cardboard signs?

[ January 08, 2005, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

I'd do a showcard any day....fun stuff.
Love....Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point JIll,

A show card is a form of card board, but has a higher percieved value than say coregated card board that boxes are made out of.

Do that same snappy layout on brown coregated card board and you wont get half as much as the show card.

It's not that you work or time isnt worth it, of course it's the same, but the material you choose to put it on changes what is perceived in what the customer is willing or capable of paying.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily for me, my customers usually ask me what I think would work best, & I go for something I can charge more for, that looks better, & more durable. Sometimes I KNOW some are a new, struggling business, & I want to help them by saving them money, & give them coroplast. Those customers appreciate that & come back later, & often want something stronger, like MDO.

I like the Play-do & bobby pins, Jill! You know, when things are slow, like they are now, a couple of coro jobs sound just fine to me!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL . . .AIN'T WE HAD THIS CORO-CONVERSATION????? [Big Grin]

Sign-snob??

ACK.

I ain't no sign snob . . .but as has been well said . . .it does have it's place . . . and I just wish it did'nt have those ridges . . .Ruffles have ridges . . .not signs.

I try to deter customer's from it when I know something else will serve them better, or either flat-out refuse to use it . . .luckily, they often defer to me . . .

ANYWAY . . .ditto's double what Monte s'ed. [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

I actually lost a job yesterday because of it.
The car dealer wanted something that looked great, but wanted to use coro. Wanted a sketch, wanted to make revisions, I finally told him that this is all absolutely crazy for a temporary sign. He also wanted it done in hurry, etc. so he got mad and didnt come back. Id explain further about this dealer, but you know the kind.
Bob,I dont think Im attracting the type customers that want this type of signage. Its the first of the year, business is slow, and it got on my nerves when last week I had more than the usual requests for coro signs. Dont get me wrong, I make money on them. Its just that alot of people here have been "educated" by the other signmakers in town as to materials, and they think coro is what they need. All four other signmakers in town are either print shops or shirt shops that bought a cutter and do signs as a sideline. I fully inform them that coro is short term signage and they will be coming back after a short period of time to have another one made, but they can only think of saving a little money.
Ill keep making the coro signs, and keep pushing the high end stuff.
Right now, Im looking at the free Price guide put out by signcraft, and redoing some of my prices. Itll all work out in the end.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It surprises me to see how many of you comment on how well coro holds up. I believe most of you who are making these comments are from the more northern climes. Down here in the deep south, you're lucky if you can get a year out of it before it starts to discolor and crack.

I've never recommended it to my customers for long-term use. It's handy in a pinch and good to keep some around, but the worst thing that could happen is that the stuff is convenient. The quickie shops around use it for everything. You can cut it with a knife, carry it with one finger, and don't have to paint it,and it's cheap. It's heaven!

Well, not quite. The one thing the quickie shops don't tell their customers is that coro will not last forever. We had one outfit down here actually did a main sign for the local police department out of the stuff! My wife was working across the street, and I told her the day they put it up, "you keep your eyes on that sign; in a year or so, it'll be going to hell." Sure enough, about 15 months later, it was all cracked and discolored. I asked the police chief if I could bid on re-doing it right. He told me the person who did it drove by and saw how bad it looked and offered to re-do it free. Probably had a couple of pending traffic tickets too.

Coro definitely has its place, but people need to know its limitations. It's not the all-purpose sign substrate.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How interesting that someone said, quote:

"Its just that a lot of people here have been "educated" by the other signmakers in town as to materials, and they think coro is what they need."

On the contrary, I feel like I've 'educated' my customers away from it. [Wink]

Ain't that a snobby thing to say? . . . .lol

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boy, I think I missed something on this sting. Ussually when a customer comes in for a Coro sign and it need alum or wood, I price all out and coro is cheapest, but not drastically! I can ussually get them into a proper substrate just but having the feel the difference and then seeing the price difference. I sell alot of coro though, I stock 4x8 in 6 colors and approx 200 precut in white and yellow with flutes running each way. I always have it here becaose of the relative cost and demand for temp signs.

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Im trying to do that Shelia. When you enter my "showroom", the only thing on the walls is high end stuff. I dont advertise coro, magnetics, etc. I absolutely dont do "stickers" for windshields or door names or decals. The other shops in town can handle those.
Not one of the other shops do custom work. Im the only one in town. Thats why its so hard to get mdo here. Im the only one that uses it. THe others only use coro or metal.
There are those jobs that need to be on coroplast, and then those that shouldnt be. Thats the customers Im going to push on. Then if they wont give in, fine, Ill do it on coro and Ill make money. I may do Like Monte does, just get it on special order. That way, theyll have to wait on it, and might decide to use another substrate. Just another day in the wonderful business of signwork.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!