Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » WHY NOT???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHY NOT???
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many folks envy us in the type of work we do.

It makes me wonder why more folks don't do this type of work too. There is so much opportunity and so many wonderfully creative possibilities with the availibility of modern materials and methods.

I haven't done a 'normal' sign project for many, many years.... since waaaaay back when I was still in my twenties as I recall. That type of work just doesn't interest me. To get me up in the morning I need to feel passion for what I am doing. Creative work does that in a big way. I LOVE what I do!

We all choose the paths we walk, the careers we work in. Projects we take on today determine in large part the work we get tomorrow. What we display in our portfolio, in our studios, on the side of our shop truck and on our website will determine in large part what we ultimately sell.

It always gets me wondering WHY more folks don't go in a more creative direction. There's plenty of people with just as much imagination and talent as I possess and many with much, much more. The work isn't that difficult... most of my crew are young folks with little experience save for what I have taught them. And the tool investment to get started is much less than to operate a 'normal' sign shop these days.

There is also a big demand for this type of work. With few competitors in the business there is money to be made in this segment of the market too!

While I get very few requests for 'typical' signage I quickly refer them to the folks down the road. We don't even consider that type of work. It would quickly bog down our shop and limit the time we could spend on more interesting (and profitable) projects.

It's not that we are in a 'HOT' area for this type work either. Canada as a whole is a tough market compared to the US and Western Canada even more so in my opinion.

Most of our work is not done locally (with-in a hundred miles), especially the larger jobs. Our shop is in an out-of-the-way place, a tiny town away from a large center.

Our jobs tend to be large (although it doesn't have to be that way) I only wrote 20 invoices last year with two major projects and a few smaller ones making their way through our shop.

I'd be the first to tell you it can't be done overnight. It will probably take years to establish a reputation and market for outrageous, creative design and fabrication. It will take hard work, dedication and PASSION for the craft. The learning curve is steep, the investment in time, equipment and materials not small. But the payoff is priceless.

I would advise anyone interested to start out small. Develop some outrageous projects for yourself and your shop. Once clients realise what you can do you will find the creative work will take more and more of your time and energy.

At some point you need to start saying NO to boring and ordinary projects. Once the ball gets rolling it will gain momentum beyond your wildest dreams.

I challenge others to start down the creative road this coming year!!! It sure beats working!

-grampa dan

[ December 30, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Hove
Visitor
Member # 4970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Hove   Email Gary Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right, after seeing what you have been doing with your postings I have decided to not look at projects the same way.
What is possible?....what is probable........

--------------------
Gary Hove
Pembina Hills Regional Div. No 7
5610 49st
Barrhead,AB
Canada
T7N 1P3

Posts: 97 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right Dan, and I myself am still fence sitting on a few ideas instead of taking the plunge, mostly because I'm not up on some of the processes you're using. I'm going to do some homework on New Years eve...it'll be a good way to start the year. Then try something totally new....

I'm gettin'inspired by you, Grampa !

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started Sign Painting back in 1966, most of the shops did display-exhibit work.

The shop I worked at did alot of parade floats, I did alot of bandsaw & cutall beaverbord cut out letters, painted & glittered letters, chicken wire & paper mache.

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan your awsome! I cannot wait till I can come see you sometime in January. Your always soo inspiring! [Smile] [Thanks]

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
funny you should mention this topic. I put something on my website kind of along this lines. I took a picture of my friend on the link without him knowing the reason why. I told him the other day to check out my website when he gets around the net. But along the lines of what you had said, I would not be doing it now had it not been for someone taking the time to help show me the art of sign painting. Check out the link an you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.signgrafix.com/page51.html

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, you inspire many sign people I'm sure. I, for one have made the dicision to make a parade float for next years Christmas Parades. Trailer was found yesterday! I think of everything you've shown and things I've seen in the Kings Productions shop (now Paramount Pictures) and I know I can do something passable next year. The year after even better...and so on.
The fuse is lit/

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg McRoberts
Resident

Member # 3501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg McRoberts   Email Greg McRoberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I too am facinated by your projects and would like to persue an expanded direction for my work.

I am curious as to where the larger demand for your theme-type work mainly comes from. Malls? Parks? Retail chains? etc, etc.

Thanks for the new year inspiration. I always like reading your posts. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

--------------------
Greg McRoberts
MacSign
Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 388 | From: Dayton, Ohio USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest hold up is being a soccer mom (well not literally). But constantly being on the go with my daughter (5 1/2). I wouldn't change that right now. I just don't have the time to explore a lot of new things, nor the $$ to throw away learning! I wish I lived near you. I'd be over trying to help out while I learned everyday, working for free!

I am really intrigued by the whole welding/concrete thing.

[ January 03, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The purpose of my post is not to get everyone to doi concrete and steel work... although that would be cool. The purpose is rather to challenge everyone to think and do some things out of the box.

Concrete and welded steel happens to be MY CURRENT passion. But there are so may things and materials to get creative with.

Sign foam, styrene, gold leaf, glass, expanded foams, hard coats, wood, and a host of other materials are at our disposal. We just need to add creativity and imagination and LOTS of it too!.

My market is primarily the theme retail and the entertainment businesses here in Western Canada but it wouldn't necessarily have to be so. I do smaller (but no less imaginative) projects for local businesses too on occasion and that business is growing steadily.

You HAVE TO CREATE a demand for the work and to do that you have to get the word out that you can do this stuff. To do that I would trick up your showroom and shop. If you get a chance to sell some of this type work even at the break even point initially - go for it and get the word out.

There's an article coming out soon in Signcraft featuring our new studio and a sidebar titled "If I were a 'normal' sign person" which discusses in detail this very subject. Watch for it.

This is the message I would love to pass on here... what I do isn't out of the realm of possibility for most of the folks here. It's mostly about attitude and passion!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same boat as you Amy. Everything else seems to come first. My health and growth in my work has been put on hold. Frustrating when you read all the inspiring things people are trying here.

Why aren't there more hours in the day?!?

One step at a time! We can do it! It's called stealing the time!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, here's one that ought to give you a chuckle. I'm thinking outside the box here while I'm painting up the kitchen table and chairs to give this place more punch.

I got the brainstorm to distress the finish to see what became of it. I experimented and went a little crazy, had to remove some, and start over. I was amazed at what was possible simply by experimenting and pushing the envelope abit too far. I liked the outcome and have other brainstorms I want to continue with!

Cody sees the chair I just did and refuses to sit in it. Claims it's 'dirty.' One day he hesitated as he approached it. He finally said, "Dat ok mom, I sit in it. I just not look at it."

LOL What a trooper! Just remember, our inventions don't guarantee success in all eyes, but will rate high in others. [Smile] All you can do is try and hope you learn something from it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!