Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Tsunami tragedy....hard to imagine. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tsunami tragedy....hard to imagine.
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going down and donating money tommorow to the Canadian Red Cross.

I urge everyone to do the same!!

To quote Ricky Jackson "Git 'er done!"

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two more links, where the money is not used to support an organization and goes directly to the ones in need
Welcome, Jeff Fisher. Thanks for posting your links.

www.afsc.org
www.oxfamamerica.org

Timi mentioned to me an hour ago that there was quite a bit of discussion of my posting the numbers. I had not revisited here since last night.
And now I see there was labeling the message and shooting the messenger going on. Too bad.

Thanks to those who understood the comparison I was making.

To those of you who came after me personally, first let me say I forgive you, and then tell you that I was also very shocked at the numbers when put in such a perspective.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy to hear the Canadian government has just increased their contribution from 4 million to 40 million dollars. Individual canadians have already donated over 8 million to the red cross, and provinces are starting to pledge money as well. BC has committed 8 million dollars. That is 56 million and growing from a country with 33 million people.

It is really wonderful to see the world pull together in this kind of crisis. The news stories are absolutely devastating.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I see there was labeling the message and shooting the messenger going on. Too bad.
Sorry but,,, No myra, no one was shooting the messenger. It as your linking this tragedy, the US response to this tragedy, and the money spent on the bush inauguration that fired the flames..

`Your thinly veiled attack on bush is a political position. Likewise, your personal feelings about a certain political party is affecting your decisions.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis..You and I, for once, have the same opinion! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8885 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have Mercy...

People have lost their lives & loved ones...

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know what... I have to agree with you guys too.

I have defended the remarks made about war costs, because I think it adds some perspective to the pre-existing debates in the world regarding a measurement of aid,& may be somewhat relevant to foriegners opinions of US spending habits because the war is obviously seen worldwide.

But I agree that linking the US response to this tragedy, and the money spent on the bush inauguration was a bad idea, and was asking for the fallout that it recieved.

I should also admit that my own personal feelings about a certain political party caused me to overlook that fact untill Curtis spelled it out so well. I appreciate having my eyes opened with an articulate observation.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I disagree.

Regardless of who is steering the ship, Myra's numbers brought perspective to the discussion - apparently an unwelcome perspective - and I think it is the rest of you (not all, obviously) who are responding "politically".

[ December 30, 2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Jon Aston ]

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... your personal feelings about a certain political party is affecting your decisions.

Like Myra is alone in that? Let's be fair.
And how exactly is that a bad thing?

It is in people's conduct during adversities and tragedy that we learn the most about their character.

Myra is encouraging us to pay attention.

"Pray to god, but row to shore".

Don't we owe it to the good of mankind to watch, listen, and become informed with our decisions?
Don't we owe it to the lives lost to learn something from this tragedy?

It is the personal feelings of many on here that are reading more into Myra's intents.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless those that were lost, and God bless all on this board.

[ December 30, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: John Deaton III ]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My objection to the UN official's comment is that it was a political jab to begin with.

This from a representative of an agency which wallows in corruption, whose high officials accept bribes and kickbacks for steering aid money to corrupt government officials - in other words, people who are getting rich from other people's suffering. UN aid agencies are famous for this, which is how they manage able to selectively ignore any humanitarian crisis that doesn't provide an opportunity to grease their own skids.

I'm far more interested in how individuals respond compassionately, looking for and finding the means to provide real help on the ground. Government aid money ends up being spread around by one pack of bureaucrats, to be soaked up by another country's bureaucrats, with the people in need getting the crumbs. UN officials are like hogs at a trough who start squealing when they don't get slopped as much as they think they ought - that's not a "political" statement, just an observation. I tend to be highly suspicious of all these professional UN do-gooders who never actually gets downwind of the smell.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upwards of 100,000 people have been tragicaly killed in what might have seemed like only moments.

Everyday it is staggering to comprehend. The real tragedy will come when the media hype wains, the cameras go home and the horror fades from all of our minds. Thats when these people will feel abandoned and all alone to rebuild thier lives from rubble and destruction.

At that time most of the funding will dribble down to nothing as well. The real hero's will be not the countries that just send money for the people in a time of emergency but the ones who help and stay with these countries untill they can support themsleves again.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee Cam, you actually said, in a bureaucratic way, exactly what I said in my two previous posts on these subjects . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edited: I've decided to take the high road here. Have a great day everyone...and godspeed to those willing to make personal sacrifices in both time and money in an effort to help those poor victims and their families. [Applause]

[ December 30, 2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having spent my childhood abroad, including six years in India, this hits close to home.
What a heart wrenching disaster.
It is hard to imagine how people can turn this into a personal thing. Instead of that try to imagine the pain and suffering as people search and find, or worse, don't find, their loved ones. India is a land of poverty and suffering, it is also a land of human resiliance, diverse cultures and beauty.
Enough said....

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some of the UN comments will stir people into helping more. Sod your politics.

I think most people here in Sweden would do anything to help financially or helping voluntarily to collect or help with whatever needs sending out to help now rehouse and rebuild a shattered region.

Alot of people here are not going to celebrate the new year in the traditional way with tons of fireworks but would rather donate to try and help instead.

It all comes much closer to home when most of the foreigners killed where from here or other parts of Scandinavia, and most had travelled as families to escape the cold and darkness and enjoy Christmas in the sun on the beach.

They have their governments help to return home to a modern society with bereavement counselling etc etc. Atough call for anybody. Children have come home parentless on planes or newlyweds minus a partner. Here in Stockholm 1300 are missing presumed dead.

For those left behind....its going to take years and billions of dollars to put things right...dig deep.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to bite my tongue (Tongue is Bitten)

What a horrible horrific disaster this is, and I hope that everyone that can do something to help does.

And Mike O'Neill you are a amazingly generous thoughtful man, you have given me a smile for humanity today.

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never posted a link, so I don't know if this works.
http://www.digitalglobe.com/tsunami_gallery.html

These are aereal before and after shots of the Tsunami affected islands.
A real sock in the gut to see, beware!

As Henry said, my mother also tells me there are people in trainstations and on the streets in Germany collecting money. And festivities for New Year's are curtailed in order to send the money instead.

They are now saying it may be the largest catastrophe in recorded history. And a Swiss release says that the Earth's axis is moved by 8 cm.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Amazon.com, they've devoted their front page to donate money, in just one click, directly to help with the disaster relief efforts thru the American Red Cross.

It's wonderful to see businesses that are making it so easy for people to get involved and help.

Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A comment here on the time it has taken the different powers to act and specify amounts of money to be given as aid . .

At one time in my history, I was employed as a Vice-president-operations for a large earthmoving contractor. One of the things we often were called upon was to attend to Truck accidents involving Tanker Transporters and spilled Hazmat. The only reason I even mention it is that each accident was different, even though the same kind of materials were involved usually (Gasolene, fuel Oil, Diesel). Therefore you couldn't just "Order up" what was needed and send it to the site. An "On Site Appraisal" was usually needed by someone expert enough to know what would be needed, and when . . .

I think that's one of the things that has held up a lot of the resources, Knowing what to do and send . . the magnitude of the destruction, Whether to search for bodies and survivors or save the living from further harm from pestilence and disease . . And these aren't small decisions, or easy ones . . not to mention that most world leaders were doing what the rest of us do at this time of the year . . Go on Holiday . .and they usually travel farther. so in order to get information, make initial decisions, start things in the general direction, they necessarily took action . . then spoke to the talking heads. I personally think that it's a big ego trip by the press to even infer that Bush, Annan, or any other world leader was dragging their feet.

And in Bush's defense as far as the money committed by the U.S., that's all he had in the checkbook, Congress will have to authorize any more money than the $35m already committed. And I'm sure they will. At this time the press has turned it into an "Auction", and possibly, there'll be more money than is actually needed.

All the money we send can't bring back the dead and that was the greatest loss. With a couple of exceptions the material damage wasn't as great as it appears on TV's Soundbites . . True the beach areas and tourist facilities near the beach suffered lots of damage . . and of course the Infrastructure in those areas will need to be rebuilt. But why go out and rebuild all those little coastal villages that no longer have any live inhabitants?

Just take care of the Children . . The rest will get by pretty well . . The human is a very reslient species . . Again, Mother Nature has No Compassion!

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I think you raise many valid points & I agree with 90% of your comments.

I will have to disagree with one for sure... "and possibly, there'll be more money than is actually needed" R U Serious [I Don t Know]

A tsunami warning system like we have here in the Pacific would be one very costly project that falls far below the more immediate needs, but is an extremely good idea to do when possible. A system of seismic activity detection sensors laying on the ocean floor (scattered around all the oceans)& transmitting data to bouys above them that link by satellite to a monitoring station. It's appalling that 4 hours after the first wave of destruction, people in Africa were still hanging around the beach without warning.

I've probably said enough on the "amount of aid" question... Although I understand that much more funding will be provided, I don't believe for a minute that our government's committing of(not necessarily sending immediately)more then 35 million was not possible. (interesting that one drug company alone matched that number [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, I would think with the checks & balances system built by the founding fathers that there IS a limit of money the president can spend without congress approval. If not, why would congress have to approve the budget? I don't know this for sure, just saying what my common sense says.

The second thing I have to ask is, how much does this cost? How can anyone set a price hours after something like this happens? I see this as the emergency seed money to get supplies, food, help on the way til we get a real handle on how bad it is, what exacty is needed. How long did it take to come up with a final $$$ for the Florida Hurricanes?

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

3:00 pm - now- President Bush just increased the pledge of aid to 350 Million.
I am very grateful for that.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets see here..
In a non emotional respnose.

The first offer was up to 30?? millions in goodies.

To be hauled by at least 11 C-130 transports @ $59 mill each.. That burn thousands of dollars of fuel each hour, manned by highly traiend crews.

Along with an air craft carrier and its entire support group of ships that costs billions

and the thousands of service people to man the supply chain and distribution..

With the hundreds of medical teams that will swarm ashore treating the casualties and setting up MASH units..

And each ship with desalination plants that costs 40 mill each supplying clean water..

And all the food and supplies that will be given as needed to the locals.

All that along with the vehicles and other equipment needed to acces the remote places..

All this and more to come as is the USA's usuall response.

There no comparison and nothing to think about. We are doing what we can as we always have.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this list is accurate, tragedies of this magnitude have happened many times throughtout history. Not to minimize the current situation, but it puts it into perspective

A list of worlds worst tragedies:
(Source: www.foxnews.com)

Dec. 28, 1908 — A magnitude-7.2 earthquake kills 123,000 people in the Messina-Reggio Calabria area of eastern Sicily and southernmost Italy.

Jan. 13, 1915 — An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5 leaves 29,980 dead in Avezzano, Italy.

Dec. 16, 1920 — Gansu, China is hit with an earthquake reaching magnitude 8.6 that kills 200,000 people.

Sept. 1, 1923 — An temblor of 8.3 magnitude in Japan destroys one-third of Tokyo and most of Yokohama. More than 140,000 are killed.

May 22, 1927 — An earthquake reaching 7.9 magnitude hits near Xining, China and kills approximately 200,000.

Dec. 25, 1932 — Approximately 70,000 people are killed after an earthquake reaching 7.6 magnitude hits the Gansu region in China.

May 30, 1935 — A magnitude 7.5 temblor strikes Quetta, Pakistan, killing more than 30,000 people.

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Gibbs
Visitor
Member # 3882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Gibbs   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Gibbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On this New Years eve I will be saying a prayer for those victims and countries affected by the Tsunami.New Years is just not the same.In almost a Blink life changed for the worse in Southern Asia.It's trully a Sad time!In the aftermath of the tragedy though,it is amazing to see the Global response taking place.The Human spirit is a great thing.

--------------------
Ron Gibbs
Gibbs Airbrush
www.gibbsairbrush.com
1381 St. Marys Cres.
Burlington,
Ontario,
Canada, L7P1S1

Posts: 119 | From: Burlington,Ontario,Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug . . Yes I am serious . . . Since I wrote the little missive above, the State Department has stepped up and comitted $350m (with Congressional approval, and that'll happen), so when you add that to all the money that is in the kitty right now, you have a tremendously large pile of CA$H. Now what do you do to convert it into aid? A large percentage of the CA$H may or may not get converted into aid for the children, and the people who need medical care. To be sure, the immediate needs will probably be taken care of . . But will any of that money be earmarked for long term care for the orphans created, their educational needs, compassionate homes, of will they be faced with the prospects of becoming child prostitutes and beggars next year just to exist?

No, probably not, but a lot of that money will be spent on new infrastructure, new Hotels, new Tourist attractions, the things that will start the tourist industry up again . . So who'll get the lion's share? Construction Companies . . they'll get rich! Know that for a fact, been there, done that (on a much smaller scale) and in the end, the people who could've re-built out of their pocket (quite like the people in Florida are having to do still) will get help on an economic scale we could only dream of.

And yes, Doug, there will be a Tsunami warning system built in the Western Pacific . . George Bush alluded to that in his first speech in Texas after this thing happened. However, had one been in place, the areas where the death tolls were the highest had little or no warning time had one been in place, and a lot of them lived in remote locations that wouldn't have received the word anyway . .

As has been said, a warning system just helps those who can help themselves . . Say the Canary Island Volcano Collapses into the sea and creates an Atlantic Tsunami with a crest of, say 50 feet. It'll take it to Florida and the East Coast in two hours plus . . as was said here, I believe . . . Let's see you evacuate Miami-Dade County in Two Hours . . 65% of the population will still be in the "Kill Zone"! Where would you go, in Florida, to escape a wave of that magnitude?

Warning or no warning system, anytime you have one of Mother Nature's "Large" or "Historical" Incidents, on a planet that has the dense population we have, a lot of people are going to get hurt (or Killed) and there's still not a lot we can do about it. Best thing you can hope for is to be someplace where you can ask; "What was that?"

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!