Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Site Defaced?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Site Defaced?
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I try going to either the Letterhead Fonts site or The Original Letterheads site, I get a black screen with red letters saying that the site has been defaced.
Whazzup with that?
Just wondering.
Love....Jill [Confused]

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Sartain
Visitor
Member # 241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Sartain   Email Karen Sartain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know Jill...but this is the explaination I found on a page buried somewhere in that site:

The Original Hand Lettering Forum: Click Here

This is a temporary page. Someone released a worm virus into the server that houses this Forum, causing all pages to become "defaced". The people at canaca.com know about the problem and are supposed to reload the Forum with the last back up, however, I don't know when that will happen. Since I already know about the problem, there is no need to email me with the news. I am just waiting patiently. You can visit the main web site at the link below or can view all the old post on the old Hand Lettering Forum by the link at the top of the page.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but it is out of my control.
Mike Jackson: co-host

If you are new to the Hand Lettering Forum, be sure to visit
The Original Letterheads Web Site: Click Here
The site is sponsored in part by the Denver Chapter of Letterheads.

Hope it gets fixed soon [Eek!]

--------------------
Karen Sartain,'Pisel' on chat
11699 E Hwy 181
Willcox, Arizona 85643

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey.We are spiritual beings on a human journey."-Stephen Covey

Posts: 336 | From: Chiricahua National Monument, Az | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristi Percell
Merchant

Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristi Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Kristi Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a worm that attacks PHP servers, we were given this information from our Website Hosting Company.

Recently a serious exploitable issue was discovered in PHP (the scripting language in which phpBB, IPB, vB, etc. are written) versions prior to 4.3.10. The problematical functions include unserialize and realpath. phpBB (along with a great many other scripts including IPB, vB, etc.) use these two functions as a matter of course.

It has come to our attention that code has now been released which uses this exploit in PHP to obtain confidential information in phpBB. Such information includes data contained in phpBB's config.php file. We therefore recommend the following:

1) If you maintain your own server be sure to upgrade to the newest available release of PHP (both versions 4 and 5). Be aware that at this time phpBB 2.0.x has problems functioning under PHP5 without modification.

2) If you pay for hosting ensure you hosting provider has upgraded thier installation of PHP (again remember that phpBB 2.0.x and other scripts will not function under PHP5 without modification).

--------------------
Kristi Percell
2013 Bodega Ave
Petaluma, CA 94952

Letterhead Sign Supply
and Percell Signs
Home of the "MicroMeet"

Posts: 352 | From: Petaluma, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch!...where's my string and soup cans!

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and some ppl say MS winders is exploitable

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Broughton
Visitor
Member # 2237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Broughton   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Broughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go Jill http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/4117711.stm

--------------------
Steve Broughton
Alpha Grafix Signs
Lowfields Road
Benington, Boston
Lincolnshire, England

Posts: 315 | From: Boston, Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Golden
Visitor
Member # 164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jillibeans,
After seeing the "site defaced" message on the Hand Lettering Forum for a couple of days, and getting a lot of email notices from readers, I went ahead and uploaded that temporary page. Unfortunately, the worm must have attacked all the BBs on their server and they are slow about getting the Hand Lettering Forum back up and running. After a couple of days of trying to be patient, I sent numerous emails to them this morning.

It is frustrating, but apparently just one of the speed bumps on the road of life we all experience.

Mike Jackson

--------------------
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, Wy
www.goldenstudios.com/

Posts: 390 | From: PO Box 7850 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Golden
Visitor
Member # 164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a little steady prodding to the support team at the server, The Hand Lettering Forum is back up and running. Thanks for the concerns!

Seasons Best Wishes To All!

Mike Jackson

--------------------
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, Wy
www.goldenstudios.com/

Posts: 390 | From: PO Box 7850 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!