Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Windows XP Home and FlexiSign Pro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows XP Home and FlexiSign Pro
Alden HammerHead Kam
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all -

Haven't been on for awhile, missing alot of news here.

I have a question for all of you who are using FlexiSign Pro Version 7.0 on Windows XP Home edition.

What if any kinds of problems have you encountered and did you get them resolved??

I am currently using FlexiSign Pro 7.0 on Windows 98 SE and I have no problems what so ever. I just picked up a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed on it.

I just wanted to hear all of your feedback on it before I try installing it onto my new computer.

I am also wondering about Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

All these new operating systems are killing me!!

Thank you for all of you input!!

See ya around!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run flexi7 on 98se and have zero issues and i also have zero desire to upgrade to XP on that particular computer....."if it ain't broke,don't fix it"..it may run without a hitch in XP,then again maybe for whatever reason,it wont. The best thing you can do in this situation,to me,if you have doubts....is buy another hard drive for $50-$60,install 98se on it and run and cut from flexi on that drive and use XP for everything else. To me,and some willnot agree,its far better to spend that $50 than to spend $3k on new software just to say i have the latest XP compatible version when the only thing it does is save me two mouse clicks somewhere. I'm no computer guru but i just cant see changing something when it runs without a hitch and does everything you want it to do...the downtime and the hassle of trying to get everything back to where it was is more than worth the price of a second drive,not to mention youre assured of having a drive that will have your program and files and stay "clean" if thats all you use it for. Just $.04

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Berry
Visitor
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Berry   Email Wayne Berry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went thru this. Flexi runs very stable and so does Photoshop. I built this system myself and it's way fast.

The only issue I have had is trying to get the same fonts loaded on the new machine as is on the old one. Win 98 system had Adobe Type Manager for handling type 1 fonts. It won't run on XP. Loading the the fonts everyway I could think of and everyway Amiable says has not resolved this issue.

I have this system networked to another XP box that runs Omega and my Edge2. I do ALL my design, scanning etc. on the Flexi machine, save the print files in GAD to a network folder, slide the chair around and run the print job on system two while I'm working on something else or cutting something else on system one.

I'm a one man shop and this has worked well for me. Xp makes networking, printer sharing, file sharing so easy that anyone can do it.Yes my old Win98 system was stable but when you do move to a new PC it will likely have the lastest operating system on it. If you don't need a new system all this does not apply of course.

I hope this was helpful. If you have more questions on Flexi and Xp I'll be glad to try to help.

Wayne Berry

--------------------
Berry Signs & Stripes
Hattiesburg, MS
Signs, lines, lettering & other neat stuff.

Posts: 82 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alden you may want to upgrade Flexi to 7.5v5 I think it is a free upgrade.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble with XP & flexi. I could only save as ai/eps/cdr etc but it would not let me save as FS. XP kept write-protecting every native flexi file I tried to create & refused to save.

In the end I set it up to dual boot into XP or 98se depending on what I wanted.

OP is right about getting another hard drive too!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm running XP and have no issues. I'm also having no problem with Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1. Flexi seems flawless and everything seems more stable than it did with 98se, which I still have on some of our computers. I was also told that Casmate would'nt run on XP, and that is not so either. Brad Farha on this board told me he had no problems with it and I tried and it's fine.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steef de boer
Visitor
Member # 5195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steef de boer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xp home and flexisign pro 7.0v2 works perfectly here.
Photoshop 7 is working fine too.
i'd take xp over win98 anytime

--------------------
Steef
http://www.superletters.nl
Netherlands

Posts: 16 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XP pro, Flexi 7, PSH 7, Ill 10 all work fine on my machine. Type manager 4.1 was the only upgrade needed.

Good luck.

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
LetterWorks Design and Graphics
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!