Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » welder purchase update!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: welder purchase update!
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well tommorow is the big day, the tool stores welding sale. I suspect I will have a sleepless night as I am filled with anticipation and excitment. Anyways I have decided to go with miller as the brand of welder and forget about hobart or lincoln, they both had to much visible plastic parts compared to the millers with no infinite voltage control. And with everyones advice I think I will step up to the 220v power range and go with the Millermatic 175 for $899cdn plus with this model you get the free cart, auto darkening helmet as well as a free welding class. Anybody have any experience with this model? I will also be buying a 55 cuft gas bottle as these will be on sale for $119cdn and you can get it filled for half price so about $15 for gas. I went to home depot and I spent about $120 on 8/3 tek cable, breakers, plugs, and fittings etc. just to be able to run 220v to the garage with enough capacity to run the welder and compressor. Any last minute suggestions for me? Or any comments on this model welder? Thanks

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Miller products for the last 20+ years for mig welding. Played with TIG a bit, but did not have the time to learn it properly.

Lincoln is a good model as well, Millers just seemed more "user friendly". If you have the opportunity to take a class, I urge you to do so!

Good Luck!

MC

--------------------
Mike Clayton
M C Grafix Custom Lettering
New Jersey (again)

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, why don't you grab an auto darkening weding helmet. I have been using one for several years and can't imagine going back to the old...."where the Hell am I" type.....

Good luck with your new toy...I think you'll alppreciate the extra power of the 220v model. We have an older Millermatic 200 and it works great for a wide range of applications.

take care [Cool]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julio

I have the Miller 185 as my shop welder and absolutely LOVE it! Its so reliable. I did replace the short whip with a 15 foot model. The extra reach is invaluable.

I also torched the cart as soon as I got it an built a heavy duty model instead. But our stuff gets moved a lot too.

You are going to immensely enjoy your new toy... er... tool! [Smile]

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Horn
Visitor
Member # 4037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Horn   Email Dale Horn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the auto darkening helmet - go for one with an adjustable shade. There are cheaper models that start at 4 then pause for a moment and then jump to 10 - this makes it hard to weld small things.
Make sure it covers past your whole neck or it will look like just your neck went on a holiday.
Also get some some anti-stick gel for the gun and tips.
Fire extinguisher, welding gloves, safe work area.

Now you're going to need a band saw, chop saw....

--------------------
Dale Horn
Zennova Systems Inc.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
CANADA
306 665 1438

Posts: 51 | From: Saskatoon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Sharkins
Visitor
Member # 4525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Sharkins   Email Pete Sharkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of carts... My Dad's came with one of those cheesy grey, screw together jobs. After I tack welded the trays to the uprights, it's MUCH stronger. I used 2 tacks per corner per side. Did the bottle bracket, too.

--------------------
Pete Sharkins
MotoArts Decals and Signs
New Kensington, PA
motoarts@yahoo.com
* All vinyl, all the time *

Posts: 138 | From: New Kensington, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!