Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Squeeze bottles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Squeeze bottles
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking for a while for plastic bottles for storing my 1-shot.
Found some 4oz bottles in the cosmetic department at Wally world that looked to be the right type of plastic. At 50 cents a pop I got a few to test.
Filled a with little reducer and marked a line ... waited a few weeks and was still at line so grabbed a bunch more and started filling ... so far so good.
The nice thing is the top is as wide as the bottle so they can be easily stored upsidedown ... I throw a bolt in to shake/stir before filling.

The ones at the top of this page are the ones to look for
http://www.goody.com/goody/consumer/jhtml/travel/trends.jhtml
They have the word lotion molded on them ... so if you end up getting paint on your hands it's OK

Just a heads up

[ November 10, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Mark Matyjakowski ]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, bottles will turn out to be a pain, paint has a tendency to change inside of a bottle, gets muddy and chunky, no matter what you do. Joey Madden uses paint restorer before filling bottles, his wad up and turn too. If not used each day, the bottle starts to wad up and cave in on it's self. Even then, the most I've ever been able to refill a bottle before needing to replace it is, two!!! Bobbo in Albq. has some solvent-resistant bottles for sale, even they do same thing after a time. Enough of a pain, I went back to cans with holes and screws. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I get mine at a beauty supply house. the bottles are for women to apply stuff to their hair. I am sure I look real funny when I buy the bottles since I have a shaved head.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, what are you guys doing in the cosmetic section and the beauty supply houses to find these things? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I got small ones, not meant for long term storage.
The paint in the bottles we were using at Boones was in there over a year ... good enough for me, at 50 cents per I'm not thinking of refilling.

I haven't tried the screw top, probably should.
My problem now is that I use such a little amount at a time I end up pulling a skin every few days off some colors, so I figure I'm losing more than 50 cents of paint in skin [Wink]

My cans are in my garage (getting cold), these will be less messy in my house ... if it doesn't work I'm not out much (on purpose)

quote:
so, what are you guys doing in the cosmetic section and the beauty supply houses to find these things?
What else is a guy supposed to do while his wife is checking out chainsaws

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the bottles ( EZ Pour ) for years with One Shot with good success. I used to use the eight ounce and could get numerous refills out of them. Some bottles lasted four or five years. Some of the rarely used colors would go bad but for the most part they were trouble free.The key was tha I was using A LOT of One Shot. Lettering and doing large graphics on 18 wheelers kept a steady flow.
These days we rarely use One Shot, using almost strictly urethanes, the One Shot is now in 4 oz bottles and a lot of it is almost unusable. A lot of the bottles have closed in on themselves, some to the point of splitting open [Frown]
HOK urethane doesn't keep in them worth a crap either. If we can figure out a good way to use the screw/can combo to where they will store good we will go that route, otherwise we are just going to stack 4 oz cans in the kit and make a mess ( yea, like that would be something new for me [Smile] )

I've used the little Goody's bottles before. They will work OK if the paint doesn't sit too long in them, getting weekly usage at the least. The spouts get a little messy after awhile though.

[ November 11, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: George Perkins ]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago,one of the latest 'greatest' things to come down the pipe for suppliers was gonna be 'clear' mixing cans..they were made out of solvent resistant plastic....they also sucked. Same problems described by everyone above,plus they had the nifty effect of causing any premixed colors to separate,no matter what you did or how long you shook them,and the answer we got was that its was a static electricity problem caused by the plastic which made the paint seperate into its component parts. Sounded like a load of crap to me too but who knows and i didnt care enuff to get into some kind of in depth research on it. Only thing i can add here is that nothing is as reliable for sticking paint in as metal containers

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me try to use my prospective here, I think it all depends on how much paint you use from each container which dictates how long the container will last.
BTW, anyone know where I can find straight sided 1/2 ounce glass bottles?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea Mark, I've been using them for years now. (Sid Mosses supplies them) The ones from beauty shops are a little too thin.
As a 1 man shop, I use tiny amounts of paint at a time. This is real handy. You just need to add a little thinner to them now and then. I keep them in my kit. When you do large jobs, of course you take the quarts with you. Its handy to keep all the colors in the kit because you always need a special color mixed out on a job. Saved my ass many times! enjoy. . . . . John

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey, try this site.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin13a.html

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would baby-food jars work? Not really up my alley, just an idea.

[ November 11, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: William Bass ]

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
William...the glass baby food jar part is just fine...it's the lids that don't last, at least for me. The "plastic" seals in the lids dissolve on me and then they don't seal.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey, try the hex shaped jars used for jelly and marelade samplers. They are a little over an once with a wide opening.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
too late to edit my last post. My wife got a few of these from her job. They work well.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=14

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well,

I wonder if a bit of silicone or somewhat could be applied where the seal used to be on the baby food jar. After it cures (don't screw it back on until AFTER it cures, right?), it might last quite awhile (if it works at all). But, that might be too much trouble for the benefit being sought. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 27 years, and trying everything, I have given up.
I now use an ice pick.

Needless to say, I do no longer letter with one-shot every day

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeWayne Connot
Visitor
Member # 4417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeWayne Connot   Email DeWayne Connot       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ya-all,
I personally have been using bottles for one shot for about ten years now. I never have a problem with paint going bad in the bottles, however I use my paints everyday except weekends, and the real trick is the proper set up not the type of bottle.
GO TO THE BABY SECTION OF YOUR LOCAL STORE, BUY "BABY BOTTLE LINERS" NOW INSERT ONE LINER INTO EACH BOTTLE OF YOUR CHOOSING FOLD DOWN THE TOP AND BLOW INTO BOTTLE TO OPEN UP THE LINER, NOW FILL WITH ONE-SHOT PAINT STRAIGHT FROM CAN, NO SHAKER IN LINER REQUIRED OR RECOMMENDED. STORE YOUR BOTTLE UPSIDE DOWN, THE BOTTLE LINER COLLAPSES AND PREVENTS AIR FROM ENTERING. WHEN THE BOTTLE IS EMPTY PULL OUT THE BOTTLE LINER AND REUSE THE PRISTINE BOTTLE ALL OVER AGAIN. Works for me allday everyday! [Smile]

--------------------
DeWayne Connot
DOA Flatliners
Pinstriping To Die For!
Northwales, Pa
dconnot@verizon.net

Posts: 28 | From: Northwales, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How big are these baby bottles DeWayne?

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
William, I'm not a painter but I am around one everyday...(or I play one on TV? remember those commercials?) anyway....
I have heard it said that silicone will cause your paint to fisheye. It would NOT be a good idea to add silicone to the baby food lids unless you want to contaminate the paint.
See what you can learn here!? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dewayne, I have heard of your bottle liner method in the past but would like to know, what size bottles you use and also what size liners you use with them?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Jane,

I DO vaguely remember a commercial where a guy said, "I'm not a [doctor?], but I play one on TV." Well, THAT'S credibility!

I'm glad you chimed in with that info; I wouldn't want folks to follow my suggestion and then wind up with contaminated paint.

Actually, in my dad's shop we used a technique similar to Myra's ice-pick method. Instead of an ice-pick, we employed flat-head screw drivers or sharp, pointed sticks to break or remove the skins. I actually dislike paint in general and will avoid it whenever possible.

But one would think that somewhere there is a jar with a lid whose seals can withstand the vapors of solvent-based paints.

What about Testors plastic model paint jars? Where does Testors get THEIR jars?

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

DeWayne Connot
Visitor
Member # 4417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeWayne Connot   Email DeWayne Connot       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 8 oz. bottles and 8 oz. playtex or gerber bottle liners, I do believe that they sell 4 oz. liners as well. the liners are not made for the kind of bottles we use, however the liners work just fine, probably hold about 6-6 1/2 oz. of paint

--------------------
DeWayne Connot
DOA Flatliners
Pinstriping To Die For!
Northwales, Pa
dconnot@verizon.net

Posts: 28 | From: Northwales, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Higdon
Visitor
Member # 2990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Higdon   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Higdon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottles of all sizes and I have not been able to beat his price yet and all are solvent proof just get the flip top with the hole not the spout.
lazerlines.com pinstriping supplies.

Magic

--------------------
Mark " Magic" Higdon
Magic Kustom Graphix
18025 Elton
Alvin, Tx 77511

Posts: 72 | From: Houston, Tx | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!