Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Must have tools for a home based business?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Must have tools for a home based business?
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya 'Heads,

So, what are your must have tools in your home based sign shop?
Please, don't take anything for granted. Lets assume that I'm a total idiot that has a dream of going into this business with no previous experience but I have a reasonable sum of money and a 2 car garage.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lets assume that I'm a total idiot that has a dream of going into this business with no previous experience but I have a reasonable sum of money and a 2 car garage.
Ok Brian, it's been fifteen years since I was described exactly like that...who you been talking to? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

The most important tools would be a circular saw and hammer...

...so you can knock down the wall between the two overhead doors and make one in the center of the building, thus preventing you from having to letter vehicles while your skull is pressing againt the wall since you only have 14 inches of space to work on one side ALL THE TIME!

Seriously, once you know what kind of work you'll be doing and get tools, setting up the building to suit your needs with benches, shelving, cabinets, good lighting, etc. can save hours of time in the long run.

Been there...survived that.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi checkers,

Well, I was a total idot with no previous experience and started out with a one-car garage. I started out by buying every book I could get my hands on and subscribing to signcraft. I purchased signlab software and a roland cutter. I also purchased an assortment of one-shot colors, brushes and basic vinyl colors. The one thing I couldn't have done without is this website. They answered all my newby questions, recommended software and cutters, and got me to my first meet. That was 6 years ago.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pink Fuzzy Bunny Slippers. [Rolling On The Floor] , couldn't resist.

What kind of work do you want to do? The tools will depend on that. But some must haves...

Mastering Layout
Safety Glasses: several pairs
Hammer
Good Level
4' Metal Yard Stick
Tape Measures: several, they like to play hide & seek with the safety glasses.

If you want to be more than a quicky sticky shop, take the checkbook to Sears and procede to purchase any power tools that scream your name when you walk in the door. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A PLASMA CUTTER!!!

Sorry, I'm still a bit stoked over my recent plasma cutter purchase. [Smile]

I say figure out what kind of work you want to do then base tool purchases on that.

For starters though: Table saw for straight cuts, a router for pattern cutting, drill (corded or cordless, your choice)... and clamps - lots of 'em! spring clamps, bar clamps, C-clamps, wood clamps.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Common Sense and a Sense of Humor. You're gonna need both.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would assume you would have the basic items, but for a one man shop, like my own, the single tool I could (would) not live without, is my panel saw!
"GOOD" lighting, MANY electrical outlets, a good heater (well insulated garage)and one of my favorites.......my TV on the wall!! Now you can work in comfort!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
panel saw, drill, table saw, jig saw, router, dual sliding miter saw, air compressor....i could really go on and on here.

doin vinyl?
24-30" vinyl cutter, new computer and latest software. i see more people buy these old machines and spend more time(and time is $$) trying to get them to work than if they bought decent stuff from the beginning...only my opinion though.

organize your shop effeciently to save space.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best tool is mounted on your shoulders. Most of the sign shops in my area are lacking in that department!!! [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All a 2 car garage needs in a couple 1000 watt halides, a water system and some great clones [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A set of ladders and planks. Thats one of the first things I bought on the late 70's, and I still charge extra when I need to use them!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good friend and mentor once told me,..."More money has been made with a sharp pencil in this business,than any other tool you can use." He was talking about the process of bidding jobs,....

edited to add "You can always go down on a price but its hard as hell to raise a price after you have given it to a customer",....thus his response to a customer complaining about his bid being too costly,..."Let me sharpen my pencil here and see if I can do any better with this price."

[ November 01, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: timi NC ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Router
Table Saw
Drill Press
Air Compressor
Chop Saw
Band Saw
Dust Collector
Chisles
Lighting and Heat
and on and on and on

What ever it is, the best you can afford (even if you can't afford it). Nothing worse than trying to do quality work with poor tools.

Quality tools = quality work.(potentially)

Set up the tools accurately and put them in a good location for good "shop flow". Setting up the shop efficiently makes the work go smoothly, and quickly.

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screwdriver
Heat
Light
Circular Saw
Jig Saw
Drill
Scumputer/Internet
THIS BB!
Clip Art CDs
Good Alphabets
(both in your head AND your machine)
A morgue of ideas
Good trade magazines
Good Brushes
1-Shot in several colors
Thinner
Window Cleaner
Paper Towels
A good supplier
Coffee
Chocolate
A big cheesy grin
....that's all I can think of!
Love....Jill

[ November 01, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Jillbeans ]

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say screwdriver too, Jill!
most of what else is above, + an air compressor & a broom & a vehicle/car/van & a name & lots of scrap paper.

Better idea- spend all your 'reasonable sum of money' and host an international letterheads meet (with overseas airfares paid) in your 2 car garage, and take it from there!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you do?
If you do vinyl on aluminum pre finishedblanks and banners, etc. you need a different set of tools than if you do woodworking. I remember having a jig saw and xacto knife and a few brushes and pipe clamps and doing sandblasted signs and trucks. First things I added might have been a yardstick compass and a dowelling jig. Then came pounce wheels and circular saw. And so it went. Today, a panel saw and plotter might be the heartbeat of many small shops. Oh, and a plunge router, saw horses, carts on wheels, and back in the day, a good opaque projector was a tremendous asset.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tool? Like a nice sign out in the yard, to atract customers?

Oh, you said home base...and the city probably wont let you have a nice sign out in the yard of a residential area.

Then the next best tool would be to letter up the family car and keep it parked in the drive. [Smile]

For vinyl work you don't need much equipment,
plotter, inkjet printer or Gerber Edge, but the problem is with so many doing vinyl work its hard to make a living depending on that alone. You'll need the bigger jobs like monument signs, or bus wraps to feed on. Then you'll need a commercial shop setting.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A tool? Like a nice sign out in the yard, to atract customers?

Oh, you said home base...and the city probably wont let you have a nice sign out in the yard of a residential area.

You'd be surprised Dave!

I get a tone from your post that you can't make it unless you have a commercial location. IS that the tone your sending Dave?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alphonse Dente
Visitor
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alphonse Dente         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from your noggin...a second (at least) dedicated phone line. Take your home phone out of the book.

That was step one, before there were plotters, fonts or even the panel saw.

-Al

--------------------
Alphonse Dente
Dente Design
Henderson Harbor, NY

Posts: 59 | From: Henderson Harbor, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My business has been storefront in a commercial zone for over 5 years now but there are too many tools to mention. I would say that today my most important tools are the air conditioned office and two dehumidifiers. We are spraying latex today and the humidity dropped briefly to 57% about 10:00 this morning, then shot back up to 72 and is 68 now. I usually don't spray latex if it gets 60% or more but the temperature difference wasn't that much so we sprayed the two signs in the shop and whisked them into the office. They've already dried to touch and no runs.

[ November 02, 2004, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since most every tool imaginable has bben mentioned, let's not forget office supplies . . .

~A good answering machine

~Caller ID

~A fax machine

~Coupl'a good file cabinets

~Nice desk

~Drawing and lay-out area

~Shelves for books, catalogues, drawing supplies, etc.

~Personalized invoices, proposals/bid forms, business cards

~Sign showing hours you will be available and hours you will NOT be disturbed

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again Gang,
I deliberately left the question open ended to see what types of replies I would get.
For now, I'll just say that I'm asking the question for a friend. He plans on persuing mostly vinyl work with a limited amount of painting and fabrication because he will be working from home.
His background is anything sticky. Specializing in fleet truck lettering and wide format graphic installations, etc. But he's done a few carved, blasted and gilded signs too.
His area of interest may be to persue larger scale projects that include a.d.a. signs for office buildings, churches, etc. Most of this type of work would be geared towards designing in-house, outsourcing the fabrication and taking care of the installation.
Also, there's the possibilty of partnering up with other sign makers to supply them with a source to manage their graphic installations.
So, who knows where this may end up going. It sounds like he's already acquired a lot of tools that he may need, with an exception to a few big ticket items.
If you want to add anything else, please do.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....Voodoo effigies of your "less desirable" clients...
J.

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite tools is the
"Centerpoint" tape measure
and a nice 4' ruler
spring clamps
24" cutter
Corel
4x8 table with cutting mat
assortment of adjustable breakoff razor blades
transfer tape holder (handmade or purchased)
cordless drill

Of course you can start spending money quite rapidly when you get tools but as for the basics that should get you started in a quicky sticky shop.

A handful of Iwatas, different paints, brushes, sonic cleaner, panel saws, edge, etc. can really diversify your offering.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it hasn't already been mentioned, one of those heavy duty rated "fold-up" ladders is great. They take the place of several ladders and can fit easily in the back of your car.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An understanding wife!

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe anyone yet has mentioned a good - big - worktable. At least 4 x 8, something solid, with some sort of cutting mat. If it's on wheels (locking) it would make a limited workspace more flexible.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, the understanding wife & the folding ladder are vital, in that order too!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!