Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » VERSADUR 1/2" PVC SHEET

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VERSADUR 1/2" PVC SHEET
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several people e-mailed me about this product when I mentioned it in a recent post about substituting other materials for foam letters.

Here's the full discription and parts number for that product.

VERSADUR
150 SERIES
TYPE 1 GRADE 1
EXTRUDED PVC
part number

It is a product of HPG International
Made in the U.S.A.

It cuts like butter on a band saw as well as jig saw...I have trimmed it with a router and it routes well.It can be fused together with standard Plumbers PVC cement.It also drills and taps extremely well and takes automotive finishes and vinyl exceptionally well.

Oh and before someone asks (and someone will) I have never tried One Shot on it. [Wink]

I discovered it one day while looking for a product that was both inexpensive and more long lasting than foam. It works so well I have never done another foam letter job.

Hope you find it as useful as I have. Contact me here if you have any other questions.

[ October 11, 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Monte Jumper ]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monte,
Where do you buy it? Local supplier, Lowe's / Home Depot, Sign Supplier?
What thicknesses does it come in (other than the 1/2")?

[ October 13, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Gene Golden ]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind Monte. I Googled it, and found out from a local sign supplier that carries it. It is very similar to Sintra or Komacel/Komatex PVC materials.
Thanks.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in the painting techniques...I've never used automotive paint.

Can you get the paint in spray cans or do you have to have a sprayer?

How many coats?

Do you paint the backs?

I assume you apply the mounting pads before you paint. Is that right?

What's your technique for making sure that the studs and the holes in the brick line up?

Where do you get aluminum mounting studs, and how exactly do you put them in the pads that you weld to the backs of the letters?

Edited to say: well, don't feel like you gotta answer ALL those questions...but the paint question is the most important one...probably a little research and trial and error and I kin figger out that other stuff.

[ October 13, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: William Bass ]

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Gene it isn't the least bit like Sintra or Komatex...it is much denser and slick.

It can be purchased at Regal or Cope plastics or any good plastic supplier.

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monte,
We use a lot of pvc material like Sintra and the thing I do not like about it is the edges on the cut ends. They are rough and more difficult to cover with paint. If left unpainted they get dirty and are hard to clean. Is this material you use different on the cut edges - like more smooth?

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Monte,
Sorry. My supplier lied to me! [Mad]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used PVC for a couple of jobs, just the thin stuff, and hated it. Let me reiterate - HATED IT. Curls up like bacon, fades only slightly slower than flourescent vinyl, and if cut too fast, melts.

The good? cuts like butter, lightweight, and a waterproof alternative to foamboard.

Maybe some of you folks who've used the 1/2" or thicker stuff can tell me different, but I'd never use it again for anything outdoors.

What have you done to get it to live outdoors and not curl or distort? What about PVC's inherent lack of UV protection? Granted, this doesnt count if you paint it, but then why buy a colored product in the first place?

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Jean yes it is very much different...I use a die grinder with a fine fluted straight die cutting tool to smooth the edges...keep in mind for most applications the edges are far out of site.

Rob... you need not do anything to make this material work outside...I have it in its raw state on more than one job and some have been out there 5 and 6 years and look as good today as it did when I did the job.

Willian ...while I appreciate your exuberance you really must do some of your own homework.

For example: You can get all the information on automotive paint and the process from your local Automotive paint distributor.

They will tell you how many coats of what type of paint to use.

Sure you can paint the backs if you want to but ...who's going to see it?

you can mount the pads whenever you want but yes I would recommend you do it before they are painted.

I have never worried about hitting the "course lines" on the brick...but if you want to just put all the pads on in a line across the back(more trouble than it's worth).

I don't know your town so I don't know where you can get your aluminum studs...but I suggest you look in the yellow pages for a good bolt supplier or call your sign supply and ask them.

Ok did I cover everyone? Hope so!

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

OOps Gene...sorry ...I buy mine from Cope Plastics and Regal Plastics. Do you have them where you are? If not check your yellow pages for a plastics house they will locate it for you.

You could also contact HPG and ask them for a distributor near you.

Hope this helps!

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a pretty neat product, Monte. Might have to look it up. It's getting harder all the time to find a good supplier for duraply in the area.

One concern I've always had about white PVC is that it usually yellows with age, particularly here in the south. I don't mind painting it, but would be extra nice if I didn't have to.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

This product wouldn't work very well as a substitue for Dura ply (It weighs probably half as much more than dura ply)

And it's not white...but it is still an excellent product for making custom cut out letters and logos.

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

Dave Parr
Visitor
Member # 3868

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Parr   Email Dave Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monte,

Is this material a medium gray in color and has a very high density compared to the other PVC products? I really like, if we are talkin about the same thing. It's tough and easy to use, as you said; although, it's a bit heavier.

--------------------
Dave Parr
Sign Painter
USA

Posts: 709 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Yes Dave...It sounds as though you have seen or used the product before.

Great for the uses I have described but some seem to want to make it a catch-all substrate.

I hope they try it for custom cuts and then decide for themselves what its limitations are.

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!