Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Edge prints and Frog Juice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Edge prints and Frog Juice
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just showing the Merits of frog juice on edge prints.
Some of you may remember that I posted a photo of this truck almost 3 years ago, it will be 3 years November, this is one of the first that I used frog juice on, and after 3 years it is as good as the day the customer picked it up. The customer dropped it off today to have the graphics taken off, the lease is up. Which leads to another topic, using intermediate Vinyl on vehicles,.
This one we used all Arlon intermediate for the prints, but we did use high performance for the orange, we wanted the colors to pop off the truck.
Even the intermediate vinyl on the body side molding did'nt fail, if all it has to last is 3 years, why use premium, especially if you clear coat.

-

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm Neil I just picked up a new customer today cuz som lacky used intermediate vinyl and it pealed in 2 years.

I was just walking by to another customer and the lady grabbed me. Funny thing is the other sign company will never get the chance to fix the problem.

I see your point Neil but it does come down to using the best material for the job. And in reality its pennies per job. You and I know that the printing is the costly part so why print on a cheaper material and risk losing a customer and doing it over?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you clearcoat the prints, they will last, they will last longer than any other prints that are not cleared, even if you use the recommended foils and vinyls.
Having said all that, if the prints and vinyls need to stay on longer than 3 years then I agree with you, if they are fleet trucks that have a lifespan of 7-10 years, then you won't get no arguement from me. I just finished a fleet of over 40 trucks, and I can tell you there's no intermediate on there, it's all premium.. for these it's the only way to go.

[ October 01, 2004, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan Rule
Visitor
Member # 4887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nathan Rule   Author's Homepage   Email Nathan Rule   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frog Juice is amazing stuff it adds about 2 years on almost any edge print...try frogging a vehicle thats oxidizing if they are not going to get it buffed and it will make it tacky.

[ October 01, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Nathan Rule ]

--------------------
Nathan Rule
Signage Plus
5473 Benchmark Ln
Sanford, FL

Posts: 45 | From: Orlando, Fl | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil how are you applying your juice? brush, roller, or spray?

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Bob, I'm spraying, I buy the cans by the box, I go through about a dozen cans a month. I print, spray, and mask and apply sometimes within 5 minutes of printing. To speed up the drying process we use a heat gun, then it can dry within seconds... I've never had a failure with the print coming off the vinyl, and believe me we've done loads of prints... and also not only does it protect the print, it enhances the colors as well... much the same as clearcoating an Airbrush job. But I bet you knew that.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Neil. I've messed with everything. Two part automotive clears, cold and hot laminates, and even clear 2mil cast vinyl. I might give the frog juice spray a try on some of the smaller prints.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One-shot makes a speed dry UV clear that revels Frog juice.

Comes in quart cans and spray

[ October 01, 2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!