Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » No More Oil Based Paints?! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: No More Oil Based Paints?!
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ancient roman official (and I cant remember who), said something like (it's not an exact quote, but I'm still gonna use the quote thingy)...
quote:
We used to suffer from too much crime, now we suffer from too many laws.--Some Roman Official
I am really biting my finger....must not discuss politics...must not discuss politics...not even CANADIAN politics....uhhh.
(faints).
(several minutes pass by).
(slowly recovers).
(finds something to laugh at on this post).
quote:
Hahahaa,
I'm now picturing the march on Washington.
A million chanting sign people carrying empty sticks to protest not being able to paint signs.--Mark Matyjakowski

Mark, the mental picture is hilarious. [Rolling On The Floor]

[ September 26, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: William Bass ]

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I got a funny picture painted in my head on this one...
There would be a picture of an angry mob of letterheads carrying blank signs.
The photo caption would read "thousands converge on our nations capitol to protest unknown cause".
For the record, I would love to switch to substances that would have less of an environmental impact, but what are my choices?
Obviously, vinyl is not the answer to saving the environment, but we're stuck with it because there's no one speaking out for us.
Where's these great sign organizations like ISA or USSC when you need them to speak up? - never mind they're too busy schmoozing the vinyl manufacturers to notice us.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3777 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
environmentally sound sign = cave drawing

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I't's going to be an interesting contrast...seeing all the green grassy enviro friendly world thru all the rusty... flaky and corroded buildings while driving past in a car with all the paint that has fallen off of.

But I'll sure feel safer knowing someone out there is protecting me by doing away with my livelyhood.

Ya know what I mean?

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I see it. Plastic cars, made elsewhere, plastic. houses, Vinyl siding, plastic flooring, and other pastic househould goods are okay. Hummers, and other gas guzzling cars, good. Air conditioning and the waste of water on golf courses and lawns,good. But Oil based are bad? I really think it's really all about big business wanting people to buy more crap than they need, then to repair and take care of what they have. I might sound crazy but I think big business has more control on these issues than we think.
I leave a lot more waste using vinyl than paint. But we all know that. But the CEO's of companies like 3M or Momsanto would rather have the world thinking that oil based paints are all so bad and terrible. And therefore be banned. At what point do we stand up and say "NO!.' You guys have no idea what your talking about. If anything, I would say that maybe such "Dangerous and hazardous" products can only be used by licensed and trained individuals. Kinda of a compromise.Wow,did I say this? My brain is tired now.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4007 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I pretty much rely on BM Impervo for my backgrounds. This should be interesting. Wonder when they were going to mention it to me.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man . . . .
~I was just thinkin' of all the chems and stuff that go into the manufacturing of vinyl.... [Roll Eyes]

~Ms. Alicia has reminded me that we do by far generate much more waste with vinyl.

~What if some bird or cute baby rabbit or somthin' gets all wrapped up in waste vinyl?

~What if "they" start comin' in wantin' to know how we dispose of waste vinyl ?

~Just how long does it take, say, a baseball size wad if premium vinyl to degrade?? Or transfertape?

~And just for the record, if you do actually know how to dispose of your used paint and mineral spirits, what is their final end?
~Where does all that stuff allegedly go?
~And who is the alleged person who allegedly does it?

I'm just askin' . . . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

I'll say it again...
As far as I know, in my county, NO ONE is allowed to throw paint away...not even sign contractors with dumpster service.

When I called the dumpster service to check into it, they said I couldn't throw paint into their dumpsters...seems like even used paint cans were prohibited.

Said I had to wait for an "amnesty" event that occurs every so often, which is apparently an event where people with illegal trash can finally get rid of it...I never checked into it beyond that...I suppose my shed shall just collapse from the old paint in it...litterally...it leans on the side all the paint cans are on...it didn't do that till I put all the paint cans in one place.

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The national rule for VOC compliance in auto finishes took effect in 1997,architectural VOC laws have been in the planning stages since since about 1993..auto finish rules went into place first because its easier to demonize an industry most people are not involved in than to tell mr&mrs suburban clueless that they cant have oil based paint for their houses...one is decidedly more politically correct than the other....thats what starts the sheep squawking and how you lose votes..sound familiar? VOC rules arent the result of big business,they're the result of innefficient bandaid legislation passed by people with their heads up their as*ses who will do or say anything truthful or not to justify their elected position and continue to allow those who wish to live in a rose colored bubble.....big business either goes along for the ride or demonized to the general public,they have no choice but to tow the line. It now costs businesses way more inthe way of manufacturing costs,regulatory compliance,training the end user,disposal,packaging and in some cases honoring warranties,then people get ****ed when the cost of the goods goes up...not only that but regulations have effectively shut a large protion of people out of certain markets because of the cost of them doing business is prohibitive..i can tell you personally we've lost out on being able to bid on certain contracts because we either didn't have a product that met ridiculous specs or what we could offer was so technical and so expensive the job niehter warranted it nor was economically feasible...try analyzing things like that for an economic impact rather than choosing to believe that we're making the world 1/16th of a degree warmer....the earth goes thru natural warming and cooling cycles on its own since the beginning of its existence,good luck thinking you're going to interfere with that or stop it thru legislation.Lowering VOC contents of paint has done absolutely nothing to alter any kind of air quality test or standard,but it does change drastically the scope and use of the products. It by and large makes them cost more,less efficient,vastly more complicated for the end user to use & more controlled by regulatory standards at the city state and federal levels...all which require accompanying beauracracy thus $$$$$$. Look sometimes at the label on a can of automotive paint and you'll probably see SCAMQD COMPLIANT......that means that the entire nation and anything imported must meet not only federal state and local rules,but a separate set of rules that pertain to certain southern california air management districts...theres efficiency for you. My personal favorite was to remove the carbon based VOC's from automotive finishes because of a concern about enviromental effects....and replacing those compounds with largely isocyanate based products which now require full body fresh air suits and exposure and containment systems just to be used within safety limits and are fairly deadly neurotoxins......but we have some idiots who believe we've now made things safer for the world around us......think of bhopal india then take an honest look at the big picture. I'm not real familiar with language on the rules for architectural stuff but if its anything like the automotive rules,theres enough loopholes to where you wont see any of it disappear for awhile...ex say it takes effect dec 31..up until 11:59 12/31 they can manufacture all they can store then are allowed to sell it even if it takes 4yrs to get rid of it...or they're allowed to manufacture it for export,sell it to an international reseller then let them resell it in the USA...or simply change the intended use for the product ie that lacquer isnt for a car,its for a piano. There's way more you could say about this as always,but it isnt going to make it make more sense...just remember that these rules are both installed and praised by people who dont have a clue to what the products do.

[ September 26, 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Gavin Chachere ]

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take this as gospel or even advice,but in a lot of cases waiting until the paint has hardened in the can and become solid waste you can throw it away...you explain that one....check your local law you might be surprised as to what you can do with it or even what they do with it..or ask someone like Safety Kleen

[ September 26, 2004, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Gavin Chachere ]

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernie Balch
Resident

Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernie Balch   Author's Homepage   Email Ernie Balch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a good scare ... just do a google search for illegal paint disposal.

ernie

--------------------
Ernie Balch
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY
518-885-9899

Posts: 405 | From: Malta, NY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

I'll definitely do the Google. Might check out the laws...who is Safety Kleen?

The sign contractors and paint stores around here have dumpsters...what?...does the dumpster service think they are NOT throwing paint in there sometimes (or alot)? And then there's the printers in town...I suppose THEY never throw illegal stuff in the dumpsters either.

Get right down to it, the laws do not actually prevent pollution at all, they just move the problems to another state or country and make life a big bureaucratic mess for everyone...which means money for officials.

On a sad note...
We had a man in Pensacola, who was well known in the community; the EPA told him that his property was unsafe due to some buried chems or something (that supposedly a previous business had put there). EPA said he had to close down and clean it up and he couldn't sell the land. The clean up was going to cost some unbelievable price. The man, whom many people loved, committed suicide so his family could get the insurance money. Later the EPA discovered they had made a mistake of some sort...now an autoparts store onws the building.

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

I'm sure my county's maintenance people only use watercolors on everything. lol.

EPA officials probably ride bicycles only and make sure the painting contractors they hire to paint their houses make their own paints out of berry juices, colored clays, and dried egg yolks. yuk yuk.

[ September 27, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: William Bass ]

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gavin has told you how it is . . . those of you who claim to be Strict Ecologists can take about 75% of the blame along with a Government Bureaucracy that can't operate without you and your NIMBY attitudes.

When the Sierra Club quits driving SUV's and Flying Gulfstreams, then I will start listening to them! Till then, they can Kiss My A--!

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure if I had to look up the term, so do others.

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) are organic chemicals that have a high vapor pressure and easily form vapors at normal temperature and pressure.
The term is generally applied to organic solvents, certain paint additives, aerosol spray can propellants, fuels (such as gasoline, and kerosene), petroleum distillates, dry cleaning products and many other industrial and consumer products ranging from office supplies to building materials. VOC's are also naturally emitted by a number of plants and trees.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

I'll bet pine tree emit it. Don't we make turpentine from pine sap.

I'm really FOR treating the environment responsibly, but that would mean...SUBSISTENT FARMING...and, I don't know about other countries, but public schools in the US make that sound like a step above death. (My grandparents on my dad's side might have a different opinion...they didn't hardly realize there WAS a depression...cows give milk and crops grow REGARDLESS of what happens on Wall Street...)

Y'all think we're about to go back to subsistent farming?

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL John, yer first paragraph up there . . . well stated [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!