Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What is the World of Tomorrow going to be like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the World of Tomorrow going to be like?
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" the movie that is!!!

My college roomate and his brother developed and made the new movie, "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" which opens today!

Kerry Conran, my buddy and roomates brother wrote and directed this movie and Kevin Conran was the design director....presiding over an army of computer annimators.

This movie started out as a dream that Kerry began writing I believe before he ever attended directors school in California...and my old college roomy quit his successful freelance illustration business to storyboard and help annimate what at the time was a 2 person venture to create a low budget movie. It was a passion that they poured their lives into.

Well, what started out as a new idea of making a 40's/ 50's styled action adventure/sci fi low budget movie where only the actors were real and everything else was created inexpensively, but stuningly on MAC computers caught on to a few wiley hollywood insiders.

Paramount studios picked up the film and what was going to be a few million dollar budget skyrocketed to a 70 mil plus hollywood major movie.

Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Giovanni Ribbisi and others signed on...and the reviews have been outstanding. From Ebert's thumbs up to Gene Shalits (sp?) review that, "If you don't like this movie, you shouldn't be watching movies period" there has been an overwhelming positive response to the flik.

Go to Best Buy and you can pick up a free DVD that has a behind the scenes interviews of the stars, my college buddy (he's Kevin Conran - the red haired dude in the interview.

My son and I played basketball with Kerry Conran and Kevin Conran just 3 summers ago when we vacationed in L.A. I was able to see their black and white first 3 minutes on video of the movie when it was just the two of them working on it, at their folks house while we were eating pizza.

I am so thrilled to see their passion be catapulted into success. This is Kerry's first feature film debut....he was an unknown, just a passionate, talented kid working his butt off for his dream in a modest little apartment....

now, 2 days ago, they are walking down the red carpet with major stars into the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood for the Premiere of their movie.

Unbelievable!!! Check out the movie if you can...it's mostly black and white and has the visual look of "Casablanca"....which no doubt inspired them as they are both Bogart fans. Mad scientists, huge flying robots, and old fashioned heroes.....saving the world....what more could you want???

Oh yeah, and the movie is PG...so you can even take your kids!

Edit: I should have elaborated: Almost everything except the actors themselves is computer annimated on a blue screen....the actors acted in "space" basically, with no background and very few props...it was quite new to have an entire movie done this way...and all done by computer annimators on desktop MAC computers.

[ September 17, 2004, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may take a long lunch and try to see it today.

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me know what you think of it Ryan...I had planned on going tonight with the family....but forgot my son is getting an impacted wisdom tooth pulled this afternoon, so he may not be feeling too swell to enjoy it.

We may wait for a few days.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats so cool.. Its great to newbies make it Big the first time out. Congrats to them. Dreams still come true with perseverance. [Applause]

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Bill, I agree....it's all about believing in yourself, your God-given talents, and working towards the goal.

I'm looking forward to sitting in a theater and watching this movie.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was great and it had some old signs in it too! A VERY cool flic

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son (9) and I just got back from the theater- WOW- we loved it! I know it has had some mixed reviews, and it will not impress everybody- but it had the all the ingredients of what makes me want go to a movie!
I have always loved that 1930's space sci-fi look! When I was a kid, my grandfather gave me a metal coin bank of a rocketship (it was about 12" tall, and looked like something from Buck Rogers)- it was old, probably from the 40's, I loved playing with that thing- wish I still had it.
We are going to talk mama into going to see it tommorrow night!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to this one!!

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going tonight. Can't wait.

Mac's rule [Applause]

[ September 18, 2004, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

My daughter and her boyfriend saw it Saturday night....daughter really liked it, boyfriend gave it a 5 or 6 our of 10.

I still haven't seen it...may not for a few days yet as I have just had too many other commitments.

Dave, I knew you'd get a kick out of that flick...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Jeremy Vecoli
Visitor
Member # 2278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Vecoli         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it today! I loved the British flying aircraft carriers- Angelina Jolie shouting "Alert the amphibious squadrons!"
The airplanes that turn into submarines were pretty groovy.

--------------------
JT

Posts: 230 | From: MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this movie yet, but plan to. Being a huge buff of the era, warbirds, pre-star trek sci-fi and computing technology, I am anxious for a good old-fashioned adventure in the air. From what I've seen, they 'nailed it' as far as look, feel and ideals of the genre.

I know he's your friend Todd, but I hope Microsoft sues his/their pants off. It's a pretty blantant ripoff of their flight-sim/game "Crimson Skies". I had high hopes for a Crimson Skies movie, which if ever made, will now look like a rip off of the rip off.

If you like the movie, you'll love the game it came from.

Funny how this sort of thing crops up in our industry as well (see all the copyrights / stealing / pirate threads for examples).

The 'revolutionary' ideas behind the making of the movie arent all that revolutionary, when you look at any of the A-list video games of the last 7 years (since Half-Life in 1997). There was a movie made almost 10 years ago called "Planetary Traveler" completely done on computer, a Mac then too. It was beautiful, very colorful, created in the program Bryce. No actors or blue screen though.

As for the Mac having anything to do with it, at the software level this thing was created on, the hardware meant nothing. I'd say the only reason Macs were used, is because that's what the creative team learned on in school. A Mac, XP, or Linux box would have all performed similarly. A PC (XP or Linux) may have done the work faster, just because of higher performing hardware available on the x86 platform. I'd say this is probably the biggest reason (besides saving money) that Apple has migrated the Mac platform to a bastardized version of Unix (linux's grandpa) with their newer operating systems.

--------------------
Robb Lowe

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Rob, I can agree with your last paragraph.

The storyline and imagery was created and written by my college room mates younger brother Kerry Conran.....he began developing his story while still in high school, before the computer was even really on the scene.

So, I highly doubt that it was a "blatant" ripoff of Microsoft's anything.

These guys are very creative, imaginative people and I highly doubt that they were influenced by anything more than their own imaginations....

But I'll do this, I'll ask him if there is any connection and send him your theory and see what his reply is.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Todd, the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your question and clicked reply?

That song: ~~~~It's the end of the world as we know it~~~~
[Big Grin]

I just knew this was another of your sentimental, reach-back-in-time, analytical, make-you-think-remember-wonder kind'a questions.

Ya fooled me bro, [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!