Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Pricing question on vinyl letters.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pricing question on vinyl letters.
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Letterheads,

Since i have only been doing vinyl for about a year i still have trouble pricing vinyl jobs.

I have a client that wants some red reflective letters about 5" high and possibly a drop shadow. He will install.

The 2003 sign pricing guild says the reflective letters should be $4.60 each so that would be $128.80 for just the reflective letters.

That sounds high to me but i defer to your expertise.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steve!

Two words: EstiMate Software

Read the testimonials on their website. Great product. Affordable. Pricing model that makes sense. Great people.

OK. That was more than two words.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Jon said. It allows you to plug in YOUR numbers, not what some book (who has no idea of your overhead, costs, etc.) tells you to charge.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Steve. I know it might sound "high", but you have to remember the cost of that particular material by the roll, or even like, when I buy the raw material by the foot, is roughly 3 to 4 times MORE than premium grade vinyl.

It's just more expensive material. There's more to it tangibley(layers), and it's usually functioning in some form of industrial or engineering type use, which is ALWAYS hi-dollar-work.

I offer it in as many situations as possible that it would look good for, explaining right up front that it's very expensive but how cool it would look . . .you'll sell more . . . .

There IS a down side tho' . . . . later on if they want it removed . . . [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steve.....with reflective I always try to put a layer of regular vinyl behind it, which makes removal "much" easier. If it gets a drop shadow anyway....just duplicate your text and put it exactly behind your lettering, duplicate it again and offset it for your shadow and then well those two together. You will be happy you did this, especially if you are the one doing the removing.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony!! That's an excellent idea . . 'specially on the commercial vehicles, which they do a lotta sellin' or tradin' of . . .and hey!! Now I can charge even MORE [Smile]

Thanx fer the tip!!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I'd charge either $150 or $200 depending on my mood.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon and Kissy,
Thanks! I downloaded a trial version if Estimate and will give it a shot.

Sheila and Tony and W.R.,
Thanks for your help and suggested price (W.R.). I’m going to take Tony’s advice on cutting a layer to put behind the reflective. I had no idea reflective was hard to remove.

Thanks!
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Reminder Tony! I had forgotten about making a base layer under reflective!

Steve: Good luck with trying out Estimate! Mark made a flash video demo of how it works about 2 weeks ago. It's accessible in the center of the homepage of the website. I think that demo rocks!

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan Rule
Visitor
Member # 4887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nathan Rule   Author's Homepage   Email Nathan Rule   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a fair price and great tip tony instead of doing a ofset shadow from now on it will include the letters also

--------------------
Nathan Rule
Signage Plus
5473 Benchmark Ln
Sanford, FL

Posts: 45 | From: Orlando, Fl | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know. I'm not even sure if I'm going to go into this biz, but that tip about regular vinyl behind the reflective is priceless. cool.

You never know what you'll stumble onto here at Letterville.

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I clicked on the link Jon provided for Estimate Software. That sounds like an essential. I hated pricing. I am good with a spreadsheet and might be able to get along without it at first, but if I do go into the biz...Estimate sounds invaluable (why not start off at least looking professional, right?)

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!